Been away for a year... is Skyguard fixed?.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreez, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DeathbyGotcha

LOL you actually think they fix bugs in this game they just add new ones like getting out of a tank and falling to your death underground. They never actually fix problems they just add new content :p
  2. Exploding Acorn

Was in the same boat OP. Was just thinking about coming back to PS2 and was wondering if the Skyguard (one of my favorite vehicles) actually got some of it's glaring issues looked at. Seems like nothing has changed so back to business as usual. Literally took all of 3 minutes for my interest to peak then die.
    • Up x 2
  3. Moridin6

MO SKYGUARD MO PROBLEMS
  4. LaughingDead

What exactly is the problem with the skyguard?

Comparing it to other forms of AA, it out dpses walkers at long range, has a tighter spread and out dpses (hopefully ranger buff will be good) and is a pseudo option for supporting ground. I mean the discriptor advocates a 5 shot kill at long, it's actually not bad for infantry close ironically and if you're good at leading and predicting ESF movement you can drop advanced pilots to less than a thirdof their HP which is plenty for a 40% hp gone missile.

The only problem with air is that in a small fight it feels overpowering, 1v1ing an aircraft is no laughing matter and for libs it's far worse. However depending on the base, even if the pop was 2 v 2 one lib and footman verses 2 footman, the most footman would keep the base as infils, sneaky buggers just cap and kill the one dude with team work. It's annoying sure but the power of pulling vehicles.

However a double walker bus with 3 people can consistently deck libs, I guarantee you, a coordinated squad of three is all you need.
  5. Ryme_Intrinseca

The problem with the skyguard is that your ttk is many times longer than your ttd (time to death). It's like pulling a flaregun to counter a chaingun max.
  6. Slandebande

No, maybe for the reason that plain DPS isn't the only factor going into balancing the tanks (and factions for that matter).

Really? I've noticed some small tweaks here and there. Nothing major, but something is happening now with many of the secondaries (AV-weapons mostly) at least. Maybe there weren't any glaring imbalances and the issue was mostly with people refusing to adopt proper tanking strategies and just stared themselves blind looking at flat DPS-values?

The Vulcan isn't even remotely instant-hit. Did you perhaps mean the Gatekeeper? But even that isn't instant-hit. The only weapons coming close to having that property is the Lancer, Vortex and perhaps Walker, but even they need some leading at extreme ranges.

Practically all weapons require leading your target. Sounds like you haven't used the other factions weapons much if you really believe that. And no, leading at anything outside CQC isn't luck-based untill you get to around 250m or so.

If an entire squad of ground pounders is taken out by 2 skyguards you are doing something pretty wrong. Either attacking from terrible angles, uncoordinated assaults, too predictable etc etc. Now, if it was a couple of Sundies or something, sure.

That can only happen in a few locations on every continent. More often-than-not there is terrain blocking at least 33% of the angles, and often more. Exaggeration doesn't help your case one bit.

As long as air has supreme power in smaller fights there HAS to be a pay-off, or else pilots would be able to farm everywhere. I'm not saying the current system is perfect btw. Air is still the number 1 enemy to anyone who attemps flanking maneuvers, and it just so happens that people performing those very maneuvers, are often the most important to take out in order to prevent them from cleaning up your friendly zerg, destroying important Sundies etc. If only certain people would realize there is more to helping your faction take a base than helping them camp the spawnroom.

And what exactly is the difference between someone on the ground with no intent of fighting air, but wants to target AA and a pilot not targeting ground but rather A2G? That's right, nothing. Stop acting like you A2A pilots are some special case and that you are so victimized. It's just pathetic.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dreez

It is simple. A Liberator should NOT kill a Skyguard in 1 shot when it takes a Skyguard roughly 60 seconds to kill a Lib.
    Kinda takes away the "Dedicated" . But the fact that the devs haven't bothered to sort this issue for 1+ year tells it's own story.
  8. Yessme

Skyguard is still OP

don`t vorgett, Skyguard ( 1man , 350 nanites), lib (3man, 450 nanites)

so with your logic,
    an Skyguard should NOT kill a ESF in 3 Sec, when it takes an ESF 40 sec to kill an lighning
  9. Diilicious

[IMG]

the liberators only counter is another liberator, it can shrug off even 2 skyguards and still get to safety. thats 700 nanites and 2 players, so what now?
    • Up x 1
  10. Nintyuk

Nope, with the introduction of hornets the sky guard is even further useless, 1 ESF can out DPS a skyguard easily if it hits it from behind while if the skygaurd try's to cover it's rear then the esf uses that same cover to play peekaboo with high damage rockets.
    • Up x 2
  11. adamts01

A solo Lib can very easily 1-clip a lightning with the Tankbuster.

And it doesn't take 40 seconds for an ESF to kill a Skyguard, it takes 2 passes with Hornets. Or about 5 seconds if the Skyguard is focused on something else.
  12. strid3r478

Ha ! i flying in lib noticing that skyguard throwing popcorn at me
    my thoughts: oh free kill nice :3
    • Up x 1
  13. guerrillaman

Libs are OP. However, three skyguards vs a three manned lib will wipe the lib out pretty quickly.

But the amount of nanites it takes to do it is stupid ridiculous.
  14. strid3r478

not to mention that guys in skyguard will earn pretty much no exp, just will sit and wait, boring waiting then some mbt will wipe them out .
  15. guerrillaman

Agreed...

As others have mentioned, the dps should be massively increased the closer the air gets to the ground, but only against air and the further away the target is, the more difficult it becomes to even hit it. Increase CoF dramatically.
    • Up x 1
  16. blackboemmel

Reasons why i think the Skyguard is fine as it is:

- It is possible for an experienced Skyguard pilot to avoid dying to a single Liberator or ESF, even when he is playing alone.

- 2 Skyguard-Knights shred ESFs and make Libs run away. The Lib may come back, but the Skyguardknights will be prepared and kill the Lib when he is trying to hard.

- 3 slightly experienced, coordinated Skyguard pilots (3 Engineers with Mana-AV turrets, "racer" frames, "stealth" equipped) are OP.

Specialized AA-weaponry (Lock-Ons, AA turrets, Burster MAXes, Walker) is easy to use and shouldn't be as powerful as the more demanding weaponry that kills air faster than air can kill.
  17. Haquim

Yeah, show me how you do that.

Also, breaking news - Carver, Ripper and Lumine Edge can OHK people who don't pay attention without a chance of retaliation.
    Even faster than hornets kill braindead lightnings!! Nerf knifes!!

Does anybody complaining about OP air or UP AA even ******* fly?? Or use G2A?
    Or does everyone just watch the sky and think "well, they shouldn't be able to do that, I guess I'm going to complain about it"??

That skyguard can turn around, show you his sides and, unless you're equipped composite armor, annihilate you in 4 seconds!
    That is less than the unmodified reload of your hornets - and you would at least need a third salvo to kill from the side. You're not going to win a fight 1v1 against a skyguard with an ESF, unless the Skyguard is damaged (so no 1v1) or a noob. Not even in the absolute best case scenario.
    Oh also ... peekaaboo with hornets.
    Those things are LASER GUIDED. If you lose sight of your target because you use cover they will NOT hit. It is not even possible to do what you're describing. And unlike your hornets the skyguard has 6m explosions that WILL hit you, even behind cover.

And skyguards and tankbusters.....
    Anybody getting snuck up on by a ******* liberator while his duty is to, you know, guard the ******* sky, deserves to die.
    And if you are not snuck up on - there is hardly a weapon easier to dodge than the tankbuster.
    • Up x 1
  18. Nintyuk

Well several VS in scythes on miller have mastered this so your obviously luckily playing against not top tier people
  19. HamOnRye

The problem with skyguard can be broken down into two (fixable) issues

1. Dedicated AA, bursters & skyguard, use weapons that have moderate DPS but must be sustained over a long time to be effective. This not a good weapon to use against ESFs and Libs because you only have short window of opportunity to shoot at aircraft.

2. Once you get the aircraft to leave (assuming you didn't TB'ed the ***) you are left with a really vehicle that pretty lackluster for any other role. You can kill stuff with it but it's extremely weak.
  20. HamOnRye

2 hornets + short burst of nose gun = dead lighting (from the rear)

4 hornets + full nose gun clip = dead MBT (from the rear)