Mines no longer last when classes change?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by natowpnzor, Aug 30, 2016.

1. natowpnzor

Is it a bug? I deployed my cloak sundy and turned into an engineer to place the three mines I had (just for those harassers and sundies that drive over and not get damaged at all, is that on purpose?) and then I changed to heavy assault to start firing my pheonix, about 10 meters away, I looked back after about three minutes to resupply my rockets and when I checked on my mines, they were gone. I placed more and watched them for about 30 seconds, after nothing, I changed classes back to heavy to check and after about a minute I looked away, let a minute pass again, looked back, and they were gone. Did I miss an update?
  2. JKomm

This could be a bug or someone is watching and disarming them... hard to tell. But that should be a feature if it isn't one, AP an AT mines are a crucial aspect of the Engineer class, yet you don't even need to remain as the class who placed them to gain the benefit... that would be as though I could change to Heavy Assault, drop my LMG, switch to Engineer and pick it back up.
    • Up x 1
  3. DirArtillerySupport

I put down all 8 mines before I do anything and did so today just like any other day. Other than that I have no use for the engineer class. They all remained right where I put them for almost an hour. Some nights they've remained for 2 or 3 hours. The only new thing I've noticed are my AT mines sinking beneath the ground. They do appear on the minimap and do damage vehicles driving over them. It only started happening the last month or so on Esamir.
  4. stalkish

Slightly diff since you spent nanites on those mines, you didnt on your LMG.

That tends to be the ruleset. You spend nanites on it and it stays, you dont it disappears.
    I say 'tends' because i can guarantee you'll find something that doesnt follow that.
    Actually mines sinking has been a bug since BETA, i reported it then, think i even did a forum thread or 2 during teh years since.
    They claimed to fix it several times, they havent.

If a fire hadnt destroyed my computer and all my videos id still have lots of examples. :(
  5. user101

I think they just fixed this on the sever update....?
  6. JKomm

C4 doesn't follow that rule, it will despawn on both death and class swap. It's not different however because you're not spending hundreds on a vehicle, these are small consumables that directly tie to their intended class... for them to persist beyond a class change is almost disrespectful to the class itself, making it's purpose useless beyond placement. I was making that comparison in my post saying that if I could obtain the weapon of another class I would do so and render that class worthless to me as a whole... despite nanite costs, even if I could grab a rocket launcher from my Heavy Assault and use it on my Engineer, this would be a massive difference, and a slap to the face of the Heavy Assault.
    • Up x 1
  7. Taemien

C4 used to follow the rule.

They changed it because getting the C4 off meant you could simply respawn and click anyway.
  8. stalkish

Incorrect, c4 only despawns after death (or use obviously lol)
    You can spawn as infil, grab a wraith flash, then switch to LA / engi, place c4 on the front of flash, change back to infil and then cloak kamikaze a tank / sundy.

Theres also the put extra c4 on top of your AV / AI mine for a larger bang trick.

Persistant placeable objects that despawn after you switch class:
    • Engineer turrets
    • Engineer ammo packs
    • Medic shield bubble
    • Infiltrator motion spotters / darts
    None of these items cost any nanites.
    Also note that none of these despawn after death (or upon respawn).

Persistant placeable objects that do not despawn after switching class:
    • AV / AI mines
    • C4
    • Player base structures
    All of the above cost resources, either nanites or cortium to buy the item before placement.
    Note that C4 is the only one with the despawn after death penalty, its a completely different balancing feature that it alone has, its to balance suicidal attacks.
  9. JKomm

Not entirely true, Engineer Turrets will despawn after you respawn... however, I feel it's unfair that explosives persist beyond class changes, it somewhat removes an aspect of those classes(C4 isn't as special as we all have it, but regardless an infil should never have access to it in any capacity).
  10. Newlife1025

Well, av and ap mines are traps. Why would I sit as engineer waiting for a vehicle to run over it when I can be a medic and revive other players. Same for infiltrators. You can be doing more in the game rather than sticking to a class that overall, doesn't fit the battles needs.
  11. JKomm

You've just explained the issue... you go Engineer, use it's explosives then forget about every other aspect of the class. You could resupply your team, repair vehicles/MAXes/turrets, and still be just as lethal with a primary weapon. If none of this appeals to you, then why should you be allowed to take something from the class and use it without needing to remain as that class?

Engineer's are the most important and versatile class in the game, if there is a battle that doesn't fit it's needs... then there is no battle at all.
    • Up x 1
  12. IroncladBomber

The only way that I could get behind Mines despawning, would be if they remove the Nanite cost. While I am almost always an Engineer, sometimes the fight needs me to swap to HA/LA or Even Medic or MAX.

But, lets do the Math. I use Mine Pouch. So I can set up to 5 AT mines at 50 Nanites a pop, and 3 AP Mines at 75. That is a lot of Nanites to flush, just cause I need to do a different Job.

An example, I pull a Sunderer for 250, set it up at a battle. Drop my Mines to give it some cover. While deployed, a Liberator starts to attack my Sunderer. I swap to Heavy to kill it with a Decimator. While I am switched, my Mines vanish, and though I kill the Lib, a Vanguard rolls up, since my Mines vanish.

And then. Boom. I am out 500 Nanites.
  13. Eternaloptimist

I had no idea I could lay a mine then change class and still have the mine there. I don't remember getting any 'unexplained' kills after switching classes due to a mine that I'd forgotten about going off. I'll look out for that in future
  14. JKomm

And why do you feel responsible to perform every role at once? This is a combined arms game, you should be supported by a team... a Liberator attacks your Sunderer you should repair it, your team helps with that and also shoots it down. If anything, more things need nanite costs in the game, not less.
    • Up x 1
  15. Newlife1025

Yes, I understand what you mean, but certain times call for certain things. I have done This often. I will put tank mines on a road I know the enemy has to pass, and leave to switch to medic or HA. Although I only utilize one aspect of the engineer, I end up doing more for my team. I don't have an av turret so my av ability is decreased to the time the mines detonated. By switching to HA, MAX or medic (to heal dead heavys) I'm able to keep the fight going and hold off vehicles. I may take down one vehicle (I have 3), but I'm able to also disrupt and take out others. It's like using both arms, you can try to use one all the time, but there's things that need both to complete an activity to its fullest. In short, deleting ap and av upon class switch, would limit a player to that class in wait for an enemy may or may not stumble on it. As said earlier, they are traps. And sticking to one class in hope of someone activating them, would just be a waste of time and in certain battles, prove detrimental to your team.
  16. Newlife1025

This is a team game, but let's face it. (From my experience) when not in a squad, some players can act selfish or are just plain inexperienced to know what's going on. I have three stories for you. 1) A prowler was sniping our sunderer from about 250- 300 meters away. I pulled a max to shoot at him but I just got shot down. Other heavy tried, but couldn't get the arc right and just missed. I chaos to be an engineer zinc it had sustained heavy damage. We were all there, but others either ran off to fight inside, or just true shooting at the far prowler. I chose to fix up our sunderer, but was the only one. I saw other engies just run off without even trying to fix our badly damaged sundy. Finally it blew up and that battle was lost. 2) another time, i was a max (im always Nc) and after sustaining heavy damage, i chose to run back to our sundy for a quick fix. I saw 6 engineers around me but all just ran off without a second look. I jumped and crouched at them but no kne wanted to fix me. After 2 minutes, i was finally teamkilled. 3) This happens frequently. I wa going to overload a generator, and a team mate came up and knifed me in the back. We were teammates, but each person has a goal of their own. Sone days, incompetent teammates are a real setback. Ive had days where i was literally a one man army in a small battle. I would lay down at mines and ap mines in preparation. Being able to do that allowed me to hold my own until reinforcements came. Being able to do that can be extremely helpful. And to even push that further. There was a vanu who held down a base by himself. With his at mines, he blew up our sunderer, no biggie. Then with his ap mines setup, he held down his A point for a short time longer. Eventually we took the base, buf not before 5 guys came to help him.
  17. Ziggurat8

Mines should absolutely despawn when you change classes. I need a reason to take mine guard off my magrider and use one of the other defense slots.

Having every (smart) player dropping mines on roads and around AMS's before running off to fight as a HA/LA seriously ***** my MBT pwnage. Which is why I run mine guard on all my vehicles (except sundy, I would but you give up most of the support aspect).

Plz help me pwn more and only have to worry about the 2 or 3 dedicated engineers instead of the 15 guys dropping mines.

I suspect it owes more to PS1 game play than anything else. If you certed into the ACE device you could put mines wherever and whenever as long as you had them in your inventory. It made setting up crazy defenses for bases kind of fun. Each player with ACE certed could set up 5 mines 3 Autoturrets and 3 motion detectors if I remember correctly. 3 or 4 engineers could make a single base a nightmare (and carry ES heavy weapons and decimators!) Speaking of picking up weapons. Using a jackhammer as VS was just so satisfying. You could stockpile enemy ES weapons in your locker. Man I miss that.
  18. LaughingDead

As for the OP;
    No, mines stick around, however you can decon them with a lvl 6 rep tool.

As for the concept that players should lose mines on swap;
    No, mines while skilless allow people to create a defensive perimeter around a base, slowing assault vehicles on entry for heavies and maxes to pin down and destroy, mines are also removable and very noticeable and counterable. It's not a big deal imo.
  19. stalkish

You sure?
    Im know Spitfire turrets do not despawn upon death, always thought the others were the same, as long as you respawn as engineer obviously.
    Will check this tonight tho as im intrigued now.
  20. Newlife1025

Love doing that. Its the perfect way to start assult. Its always fun when the battle starts off with a bang