How to make PS2 use my CPU fully

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Masyaka, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Masyaka

When i open windows process manager and performance tab meanwhile in a 12-24 vs 12-24 gaem i usually see the game using ~50% of my both cores, and the process tab says also ~50%. If i put high priority game goes to ~70% but no any incrase in performance, even decrase. Im noticing that putting low priority helps abit with performance but makes load times 10x times bigger. How to make PS2 fully use my CPU if there a such thing possible. I was very surprised when released that putting the max resolution doesnt affect performance at all except going max 40 FPS to 30 PFS (monitor is 40 GHz, 30 fps is fine enough)

Processor is AMD A4 dual-core 2.5 GHz (3 GHz turbocore)

Is it just a problem of threading or ect.?
  2. Stigma

Not using 100% of your CPU is not an error.

There's a couple of reasons.why this can happen:

Firstly, no multi-threaded games can achieve 100% utilization over multiple cores. Once you have multiple threads that can have complex co-dependencies with each-other and unpredictable performance demands then load-balancing is very hard to do well - and impossible to balance perfectly across X cores. There is inevitably a lot of "wasted" capacity because the jigsaw puzzle rarely adds up perfectly. Just how hard that jigsaw puzzle is for a given game depends largely on how the nitty gritty details of how they multithreaded the code - but some types of games or functions are also just inherrently harder. The more interactivity from user(s) (unpredictability) the harder, and this makes PS2 a fairly tough scenario.

Perfect multithrading is something you basically only see in "work" applications - because those workloads are usually very predictable and have less interdependencies.

The second big thing is that you may be GPU-limited. If you have a weak GPU (videocard) then depending on graphics settings your GPU may be bottle-necking the game process such that the CPU is having to wait and do nothing until the GPU is done working. If this happens then a low CPU utilization is normal. This problem can be "fixed" by lower graphics settings.

You can type "/fps" in-game to see an performance indicator that tells you what is probably your bottleneck currently. It will say either GPU or CPU depending on what is holding you back from higher framerates. PS2 is not very heavy on GPU, but is notorious for being very CPU heavy when engaged in big battles. It's worth checking though.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  3. Masyaka

I know how to use FPS counter, and it ALWAYS stays at the CPU, switches to GPU only at the warpgate or when map is loading hard and cpu cant recieve any packet.
  4. Masyaka

im thinking theres a way to make CPU read packages faster so they wont get in the train of package CPU ****.
  5. FateJH

No offense but you probably don't even know how much work your network interface controller is actually doing to help your CPU.
    • Up x 1
  6. Stigma

That's entirely normal. Happens to everyone else too - except if you run very high graphics settings with a slow GPU.

-Stigma