Loadout for the TRAP-M1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ryme_Intrinseca, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ryme_Intrinseca

Just had my first go with the trap m1 and had quite a nice streak with it. Any suggestions for loadout? I mostly ads so instinctively went for grip but maybe that's not so important with burst weapons? Tempted by a laser as when you are forced into hipfire it seems like you either one or two burst them or miss horribly.

The one surprising problem I had was missing due to not leading shots correctly. Made me realize how much you take for granted with full auto.
  2. UberNoob1337101

I run suppressor + foregrip with 1x/2x scope. Trust me, you WILL need the grip, it made quite a difference for me when using the 3x burst. If you have no recoil problems then go for the laser sight, but in most cases grip is superior.

Suppressor is amazing if you don't fight at long range, because there's no damage fall-off in shots to kill no matter the range. Hiding from radar is such a good benefit even if it brings your velocity to SMG tier.
  3. Ryme_Intrinseca

Sounds like I should stick with grip and 1X. Not keen on suppressor, as I say im having trouble leading as it is. I hadnt used alternative fire modes, just used default so far, which is I guess 3x
  4. HamOnRye

When I Auraxiumed the gun I used Foregrip & 2x sight. I treated it like a mid ranged skirmisher gun and it performed well in that role.

I don't recommend a silencer or laser sight as CQC is not the guns niche.
  5. Okjoek

I run mine with laser sight and 3.4x dot sight.

I rarely ever use laser sight, but I find that it's nice to have on this gun.

I treat this gun a bit like my battle rifle that I also use 3.4x sight on.
  6. CaptCran

3.4 and forward grip. One of the things that drove me up the wall was how it always, always, ALWAYS ******* started off on 2 round burst when equipping it. I always ran it on 3 round. The trap was the first thing I ran right after I used the SOAS-20. I was on a scout rifle "kick" so I used the trap more along the lines of that and not a sniper rifle. In a previous thread I mentioned going through all the weapons per class and so far it's helped me think outside the box with a lot of the weapons.
  7. LaughingDead

I'd say forward grip but I'm pretty sure everyone has already said that. I generally run 2-4x optics for scoutlike rifles but everyone has said that.
    So I guess...ASC because you want to be more midrange and your shield is more than your armor if I recall correctly. Unsure about the damage model but I think putting decoy nades was better over EMPs for sone reason. Can't remember too well, long time since I experimented with it
  8. FieldMarshall

I use mine with a grip (mind you i use grip on everyhing) and a silencer.
    The TRAP is quite unique in that its silencer almost makes the shots soundless. I also swap between x1 and x2 scopes.

The Repeater is a solid pistol for those "oh crap" moments in CQB. Or any other close range pistol you are most comfortable with.
    Hunter cloak, motion spotter and nanoweave/flak (whichever you prefer) and medkits worked well for me.

I also tried to use the weapon as a shorter ranged SABR staying at medium range when possible, almost playing as a straight up head-on combat class.
    Which seemed effective.

I mostly use the 2-burst at range and swap to 3-burst in CQB (closer than ~30m).
    Aim for the upper torso if you can.
  9. Riksos

Honestly I picked up the TRAP because I thought it fit the TR theme of "many bullets", and was surprised for a few reasons.

First off, this weapon is not easy AT ALL to use. It is a weapon that if you aren't actively switching your fire modes constantly, you are not using it properly. It fills the role of a Semi-Auto sniper very well as the single fire modes are just as accurate as any of the other snipers. The 2-bullet burst is great for mid range targets running in a straight line.

Then there's the 3-bullet burst-the hallmark of the TRAP.

Holy **** is this function next to useless. Now granted, when you walk around a corner into an enemy HA, your best bet is to obviously pop the 3-burts mode and unload with the amazingly poor hipfire on this weapon- DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO GRAB A LASER SIGHT. Laser sights only affect the STARTING CoF on weapons, and not the max. As the recoil and max spread are so high on this weapon, a laser sight is ACTUALLY useless. If you are at ranges in which a laser sight would be effective, you are using this weapon improperly. A sidearm should always be out when walking into small corridors.

I prefer a 4x scope for mid range engagements, using a Commissioner or AMP as a handy sidearm in close range.

This is not a long range rifle. If you turn on 3 shot burst and start firing at people more than 50m, the recoil will make the subsequent shots impossible to land. Think of it more like a scout rifle with a little flair.

I actually prefer the TRAP over the other Semi-Auto Snipers because of the flexibility, but honestly I find myself using the single shot fire mode 70-80% of the time anyway.
  10. Ryme_Intrinseca

I plan to use it as pretty much a 'head-on combat class' as you suggest. I ARXed all the SMGs and SOAS, I was basically just looking for the next best thing for the same job and it was between the TRAP, KSR and Vandal. The TRAP may have bad hipfire compared to a sidearm or SMG but it's very good for a sniper rifle, and can put out more bullets quickly than a semi-auto scout rifle. Only problem I have is that changing fire modes is badly implemented on PS4 as it's mapped to a single button, meaning you have to cycle through all three modes.
  11. BurntMyWater

I run mine with a 2x and a foregrip. I used to use a 3.4x, but I found the recoil too high for my liking with this optic, especially with the 3 round burst. I have a suppressor certed out, but I usually leave it off because the TRAP has a delicious, throaty sound when you fire it unsuppressed. The only time I attach the suppressor is if I want to go all sneeki breeki on the enemy.

I personally don't see use the 2 round burst much. Semi-auto mode is good for reaching out a bit and plinking at medium-long range. 3x burst is good for general combat. IMO the 2x burst just doesnt do enough damage. I usually aim for the neck, then click while dragging my mouse down to ensure headshots on the 2nd and 3rd round.

Now the only thing holding the TRAP back from being a truly beastly sniper/scout rifle is a lower FSRM.
  12. Turekson

I run TRAP with a frontgrip and a 3.4x scope, haven't found the need to unlock the suppressor yet. It's a quirky nice weapon and I like it, it got me to the gold medal pretty fast. Thinking about auraxiuming it next when I finish my SOAS-20.

I use the 2-round burst almost exclusively, expect at long ranges when I can't work myself closer to the target. I've found that even at closer ranges you can pump 3x 2-round bursts into the target almost as fast as 2x 3-round bursts, moreover often the enemy will fall in the second 2-round burst when all the shots happen to hit the head. This also gives me a lot of peace of mind as I don't have to consider changing the fire modes all the time.

The only time I use the 3-round burst is when for some reason I have to enter buildings, even then I might switch to a side arm.
  13. Ryme_Intrinseca

It's 1x, the same as other SRs and lower than full autos.

I've been using 3x as well as I generally fight CQC. I think it's probably a good idea to get used to just one fire mode as 3 round burst requires a different click speed than 2 round burst. (And yes, I know that doesn't really apply if you prefer the 'click and hold' method.)
  14. Ryme_Intrinseca

So I've been playing some more and have settled on grip, 1x sight, and 2x burst. The one thing I'm still not sure on is whether to run the suppressor. Some people claim that it barely affects velocity on this gun but wouldn't it have the usual -40% penalty for a sniper rifle, giving it SMG-level BV?