Upgrade from T9 CARV

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Quicksoapy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Quicksoapy

The problem i have with this gun is its long-range use. For 35m< its ok but farther its a peeshooter. So i thought of buying a Rhino, as im BR 27 and dont have much certs, and tried all LMG's out and i liked the Rhino the most as well. Would this be a good upgrade or should i get a other LMG?
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

For what it's worth, the TMG-50 is supposedly the TR's long range LMG.
  3. Stigma

Rhino is a fine choice for long range. Very controllable and good clip-size.
    For some reason people don't seems to like it, but I enjoyed auraxiuming it.
    It's major downfall is the 650rpm. That's just a smidge too low for surviving CQC in my opinion - and there will always be some CQC.

TMG-50 has better damage output, but I think it is too jumpy for true long-range work personally. It might have the damagemodel needed for long-range, but not the recoil profile. I'm not a huge fan of this gun, but it's not terrible either. Worth a look.

Personally I really often enjoy the CARV-S (with foregrip, softpoint,compensator) as a nice middleground option. It is very stable and predictable in recoil, making it quite useable in those middlerange+ engagements, or a a headshot-chainer in close. 700rpm doesn't feel quite as gimped either. Softpoint makes it perform even a step closer to it's 750rpm brother. Alternatively you can put on high velocity for even more long range power. (high velocity ammo no longer adds vertical recoil).

-Stigma
  4. LaughingDead

Upgrade? Carv seems fine IMO. Good medium range damage, controllable recoil, nice damage model, if you don't like the range, why not just try to play it to it's strengths and let teammates have the long range?

But personally in the TR Arsenal I just prefer a battlerifle. I can't have my sweet ursa or godsaw so I try to make due with something that hits hard. Probably biased in that regard.
  5. breeje

all TR LMG's are good at long range, you just have to learn how to tap fire
    my favorite LMG is the bull

watch this guy playing whit it, close and long range
    but i would not recommend the scope he is using
  6. Eternaloptimist

Rhino is good at range but ttk can be a bit long. TMG50 good too but more accurate on burst setting. My personal favourite is the T32 Bull. With fore grip and compensator it is a beast.
  7. Jbn0s0rus

From someone who unlocked all TR LMGs, my point of view is that there are no really good long range LMGs for the TR.
    I personnally use TMG 50 for mid to long range, with compensator, forward grip, HVA, and 4x scope, and it's beast... until the recoil of the weapon gets too strong to aim correctly.
    My go-to weapon is the Bull, with 4x scope, HVA and laser sight. Horizontal recoil is not that bad so you can trade the forward grip for a laser sight to maximize your CQC potential (4x scopes aren't the best at cqc)
    It makes up for a good compromise between long range and short range, but as mentioned before, Bull and Rinho don't have a great TTK, meaning you must be careful with your engagments.
  8. HamOnRye

I recommend you try two guns.

TMG-50 with foregrip, compensator, and 2x sight if you can handle heavy recoil.
    T-16 Rhino with same setup minus the compensator if you don't like the TMG

Note - A big mistake a lot of players make is to put a larger then 2x sight on full auto weapons. The larger sights amplify the recoil effect making it impossible to control.
  9. Ryme_Intrinseca

Yes, this is the best TR heavy loadout for longer ranges. Better accuracy stats than the Rhino.
  10. Stigma

Well... that's a half-truth, and higher magnification optics are a give and take kind of thing.

If you zoom in twice as much then, yes, you will need to move the mouse twice as much to counter the recoil, but there isn't actually any MORE recoil to counter. It still kicks the same amount of degrees away from the center - and if you just increase your scoped mouse sensitivity to a similar degree then you don't even have to move the mouse more.

To be spesific - If "weapon A" at a distance of 20 meters kicks up from the middle f the chest to head-height from the first bullet then it will do so regardless of what optic you use.

So I would say that higher magnification is very much a personal preference kind of thing, but I do agree that many of the more agressive CQC automatic weapons don't have much to gain from more magnification just because they don't really have the accuracy that you need to engage effectively at the ranges where 1x starts to become insufficiency anyway. Some long-range oriented carbines and such with low recoil can absolutely benefit from 2x though.

I think the biggest drawback to 2x optics lie in the tradeoff you make in situational awareness. When you zoom in more you lose periphial vision, and swapping a lot between 1x and 2x tends to throw off your muscle memory. It also disorients you more for a split second than the comparatively much smaller zoom action of 1x.

TLDR: I don't agree with calling it "a big mistake" in general, but I agree that it is a mistake to just ASSUME that higher magnification is better. That's definitely something that you need to test out for yourself and see what feels more comfortable - and yes, from experience I think most people tend to prefer 1x even on fairly accurate auto weapons.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  11. Ryme_Intrinseca

I would agree about that. A medic with NS-11a is probably a better bet for mid-long range full auto. For true long range you want a sniper rifle of course.
  12. Gundem

I love the TMG-50 but personally I'd still use an x1 reflex on it.
  13. Ryme_Intrinseca

I was talking about the Bull actually. But yes, I run a 1x on everything.