[Suggestion] Wait, why there are no mechs in this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Granathar, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Granathar

As title says. Where are mechs?! MAX is kind of power armor, but it's still infantry. Mech should be something between MAX and MBT, too big to fit into buildings but with for example jump thrusters to cross some terrain barriers. It might even have possibility to fight other vehicles in melee. Who else thinks that would be cool?
  2. Eyeklops

Because they destroyed the balance in Planetside 1 and few people trust that it won't happen twice.
    • Up x 1
  3. Granathar

Such machine is easy target actually. I would say that it would be underpowered rather than overpowered. It would be more like assault vehicle when enemy vehicles are too close to base (ability to fight them within knife range) or to assault bases thanks to it's enhanced mobility (for example to jump over the walls or something).
  4. FateJH

Few players have any confidence that whatever implementation they could afford a large mechanical unit in the game. The only outstanding argument seems to be "it'd be cool." When we actually get down to the details, we can never actually agree on even the basics of how the system might work, or how we project the system could work or coexist with our existing elements.

If you go by franchise precedents, we have reason to expect significant disaapoint in this regard no matter what happens.
    • Up x 2
  5. Granathar

You can say that about anything in game. Mech walker should be close combat vehicle, as there is no such thing currently. Harasser is skirmisher, Lightning is support tank, MBTs are MBTs, each one does it's job different way, Sunderers are support vehicles, MAXes are still infantry (you can squish them with tank). I think there is some place for vehicle being between MAX and MBT in it's usage.

To think logically - NOBODY sane would build a walking machine to fight at open terrain (tank would be much more mobile, faster, harder to hit, also big target for air support - it's just stupid). It's vertical oriented for a reason - to fight being close to buildings, where there is not much space and tank would be too easy target (and useless too as enemies will most probably be over him and cannon has it's mobility limits). If you walk, you can cross some obstacles more easily, maybe even jump over them.
  6. Daigons

Even worse, you can squish MAXs with a mere Flash. I wouldn't mind seeing large mecha in the game. Just as long as they can be taken down with 2x C4.
  7. AZAN

Seems the mechs in the first game gave everyone PTSD or something. Myself I don't see any reason why they couldn't be balanced intelligently.

The main area of use would be rough terrain, ground vehicles save for the magrider are rubbish on hills and having a mech to support infantry in those areas would be good. A mech is otherwise going to be at a disadvantage to a tank though since with a higher profile and slower movement it's going to be a big target.

I would like to see something like this:

[IMG]
  8. FateJH

This is part of an issue I raise with people having unrealistic expectations. The developers didn't restrict our current ground-based armor with lackluster performance on anything but flat terrain as a balancing factor of some sort. Rather, I should clarify that flat terrain is the exception. The developers are just unwilling to give ground platforms any expected terrain stability.
  9. DirArtillerySupport

Stigma. Even though the experience was relatively short lived it was long enough to leave a stain that can't easily be removed. We have trust issues. For those of us that stuck it out introducing large mechs in a game like Planetside 2 would be a completely natural evolution from foot soldier to a big squishy larger version of ourselves.

Our kids will enjoy mechs on Auraxis...and good for them!
  10. Liewec123

no mechs?
    [IMG]
    OH HAI!:D

i'd like it if they'd beef the maxes up and make them full fledged vehicles worthy of 450 resources :D
    i don't think true walker mechs belong in this game, they'd be to easily attacked (being tall) so they'd either be free kills or have to be really OP to make up for it.
  11. Pikachu

Mechs... starts at 5:55.

Chaos version.

Sadly very unbalanced, minor lack in polish and worst of all, not available in the horde mode. Btw it's a rare case of vehicle weapons actually feeling like vehicle weapons.
  12. Dieter Perras

Because planetside 1 vets are mechphobic

honestly would like to see more vehicle diversity though
  13. ColonelChingles

So what would this mech do as a "close combat vehicle", in a game where getting in close to infantry as a vehicle is completely suicidal due to a copious amount of C4?

MAXes are only effective because they can go inside buildings, can quickly change their loadout for free, can be air transportable, and can be revived. A vehicle can do none of those things, making vehicles overall fairly useless.

So what would a mech do as it runs around a base? It is too tall to take cover behind low buildings, meaning at close range any infantry unit with a rocket launcher can hit it. It cannot be as small or agile as a Harasser. It cannot be as heavily armed or armoured as a MBT. It cannot take cover and fight from building to building like a MAX. What would it do?
  14. Crayv

People are afraid they will be as unbalanced as they were in PS1, though this game already went through the flying BFRs that were launch day ESFs so I don' think they could ever be any worse.
  15. LaughingDead

If you were to put in mechs in this game, they'd have to accomplish a niche missing in the game.
    However so far, any niche can be filled by infantry, even vehicle removal. The one thing that it would do to be better is to be able to flak around higher obstacles, something like a hopping harasser. But let's look at the stats.

It would have to be mobile, but not too mobile, since it could not fit in infantry spaces I'm also guessing it does not fit with gals. Since it would also not be faster than harassers, or maybe even MBTs, it suffers from being a one shot base guardian.

Durability would also be an issue. Many people will tell you that taking a tank into a base is THE fastest way to die in a tank. Because every single infantry unit can either avoid or kill a tank. That combined with every infantry you see being able to kill you, a sort of base guardian will die rather quickly in offense.

DPS would have to be it's strong point, however we have plenty of glass cannons that do the job much much better. So this mech would have to do something pretty incredible to be remotely competitive like flame throwers or advanced something with infantry killing potential or vehicle killing potential. It would have to underperform an MBT in terms of damage. So maybe it could be a more punish weapon? Or a choke holder? Or a roamer in terms of base assaulting? Like a super light assault mech.

But unless it gets SOMETHING that no other vehicle can do with out it just be a gimmick (ex: light PPA on harasser) then it would be worse to add it into the game
  16. JKomm

BFRs, or Battle Frame Robots, in Planetside 1 were very poorly implemented and because of this they were scrapped from Planetside 2 instead of given a chance to be balanced. In my opinion a few things would make BFRs balanced in Planetside 2: No jump jets, no shield(Unless used as an activated ability), health similar to a Lightning. What BFRs should be are just walking, empire specific Lightning tanks with some extra firepower. You're a larger target, roughly as fast but have two weapon options to scroll through(Like how ESFs do).

But, these things will never happen now because Planetside 1 veterans are still coping with the thought of them being in Planetside 2, even if they weren't as powerful they just shudder at the thought of them returning, and that ruins it for everyone else.
  17. ColonelChingles

So then what's the point of a Lightning, except to be a smaller, weaker mech?

Why not just give Lightnings the dual-weapon option and just be done with it?
  18. JKomm

Lightnings would be a more stable platform, and have a variety of weapon roles to fill(i.e. Skyguard), the weapons themselves on the BFR are not stronger than a Lightning, just you can have two different ones... say right is AV and left is AI for instance. These vehicles would have no AA capability, in fact vertical aiming could be a challenge for them.

Lightning on the other hand... well that tank needs some work anyway, the original design of it was to have it given an AI Chaingun and AV TOW Missile... I think that would have been so much better. Then again, what's the point of a Lightning anyway, isn't it just a smaller, weaker MBT? It's only notable qualities are the Viper cannon and the Skyguard, all other variants are outperformed heavily.
  19. Pikachu

BUt why the flying f*ck do they think that mech==ps1 BFR?
  20. ColonelChingles

Delegating/demoting the Lightning to an AA tank would be a fate worse than death in PS2. :p

And again, why not simply give dual weapons to the Lightning? After all, the Lightning is the ground-ESF whereas the MBT is the ground-Liberator. Why mess up a perfectly good ecosystem by squeezing in an unnecessary vehicle?

Speed and stealth, namely. A Lightning can zip through low depressions where a MBT would be painfully obvious. A Lightning can quickly chase down fleeing enemy vehicles (that aren't aircraft or Harassers). A Lightning can run in circles around a MBT.

As for performance...

Vehicle Kills Per Hour
    Prowler AP- 13.22
    TR Lightning AP- 13.09
    NC Lightning AP- 12.91
    VS Lightning AP- 12.41
    Magrider AP- 11.69
    Titan AP- 10.97

Even taking into account "stolen" kills from secondary MBT weapons, the Lightning is pretty decent about killing other vehicles. What the Lightning isn't good at is tanking damage, but it performs decently well.

A mech, on the other hand... doesn't seem well suited to do anything that's not already done.