What are you thoughts on Bail Assaults

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EvilWarLord, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Daigons

There already is one. It's called an Engineer.
  2. KirthGersen

Ehehehehe nice thread. I always knew I'm doing it right when I purposefully ram good pilots and jump out without any damage.
  3. FieldMarshall

I think its lame. But its not the players fault for taking advantage of flawed game mechanics.

In PS1 if your aircraft's health got too low, (like 20% i think) you couldnt bail out.
    (Or it had a chance to not let you bail. I dont quite remember which)

They came up with it as a solution to bailers. And it seemed to work really well.
    Not sure why they didnt just go with that for PS2.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ziggurat8

You didn't die in ps1. There was no LA. Every aircraft had ejection mechanics for safe bailing. Ps2 has inertia. So you're likely to die anyway unless you are LA.
  5. Liewec123

;)
  6. Riksos

It's fine that a Light Assault can pilot a vehicle. They are sacrificing the ability to do spot repairs as an engineer.

Keep in mind it's like 250+ certs for the ejection system on many of these vehicles.
  7. zaspacer

Are you going to apply this to all Vehicles? For example, Harassers crew can't get out (or swtich seats) if they are on fire and moving? And all Vehicles start to malfunction if they are on fire?

I am not in favor of this kind of gameplay for anyone.

ESFs already suffer huge movement penalties as soon as they are on fire. Are you advocating removing this current movement penalty and instead only applying the movement penalty after 10 seconds?

ESF on fire have to deal with avoiding danger of further damage, finding a safe spot, and getting to ground and repairing before they explode. Veteran pilots can deal often deal with this (including being careful about getting damage in the first place, about always having an awareness of where/how to exit an area, knowing the terrain and what safe landing spots are available, and about being very skilled at racing to the ground and then flipping the ESF into a gentle enough landing), but newer pilots struggle with the entire process (I've seen multiple ally ESFs over my past few sessions fail basic landing while on fire, with plenty enough health left, and no real enemy threat, and still their ESF exploding). This would ramp up the skill floor on ESF pilots.

In addition, it just further boosts the value of choosing Fire Suppression, which is already too dominant a choice for ESF pilots.

And what's with this "locking a pilot in their ESF"? How does that even make sense theme-wise?

And with regards to the hate over bail assaults, I blow up Tanks all the time, and often I don't get the kill because they jump out at the last moment. But I don't hear people saying that isn't "fair" that Ground Vehicle users can jump out of destroyed Vehicles and deny their opponents a Kill.
  8. Ziggurat8

I want everyone I ever shoot to immediately die. No escape, no bails, no med kits, no special abilities that let them take extra damage, no diving behind cover. Everyone should always die every single time I successfully shoot them. /s

That's what a lot of it sounds like. "Omg that guy lived when I think he should have died instead"
    • Up x 1
  9. Ziggurat8

Not you zaspacer. I actually agree with pretty much what you said. Just others in general in this thread that think getting aircraft on fire should guarantee a kill.
    • Up x 1
  10. zaspacer

And on the flip side, *they* want to be able to escape, bail, med kit, special ability that lets them take extra damage, and diving behind cover or turning and gunning down their opponent.

At least they're consistent in their message. And it makes identifying those focused on carving out OP for themselves, as opposed to those looking to establish some kind of level playing field.

I don't lump Demigan in that group on most things, not sure on this one. Demigan is usually pretty grounded and focused on a level playing field.
  11. The Rogue Wolf

I honestly don't care. If I shoot down an enemy aircraft, then I've taken away a rather expensive vehicle from them, one that they might not be able to replace for several minutes. It seems to me that the majority of people who have a problem with bailing just want that name on their killfeed.

"You're dead, I got you!"
    "Nuh uh, I got you first!"
    "MOM!"
    • Up x 2
  12. Moridin6

how else i am gonna get those prowlers off the crown when i cant get someone else to fly me there?
  13. cobaltlightning

Pretty much this.

If and when I go Bail Assault I can at least try to contribute to the battle going on below me, too. After all, I still have me a carbine.
    • Up x 1
  14. Crayv

My thoughts on it as well.

I think people get too attached to their vehicles and expect it to last their entire play session and expect other players to play the same way. Thus they get annoyed when someone uses it as disposable sky taxi.

The Prowler is a rather powerful tank but it does have a very large weakness (being what you just mentioned). So changing it so people can't use this tactic is taking away from one of the main weaknesses of that tank.
    • Up x 1
  15. Shadowomega

Not in Battlefield 1, which is what their likely refering to. The Pilot/Tanker Class is limited to what is effectively an early smg; C96 Carbine.
  16. Demigan

No, just aircraft. And why not? They get enough boosts as it is, and it would be a lot more fun to actually see aircraft crash down instead of just breaking apart and half floating to the surface.

What do you mean, 'huge'? It's noticeable, but it's not exactly a super-nerf to your aircraft capabilities. It's still possible to do things like land and get to safety. In fact, if you stop using afterburner your max speed is lower so you don't need to slow down as much and can better land safely, or reach that speed where you can exit your aircraft.
    Also don't forget that almost every single aircraft has fire suppression, which is far stronger for aircraft than for ground vehicles and a single press will more often than not get you above that 33% range. 10 seconds is also a damn long time in an aircraft considering the speed with which they can get to safety and land even if you don't have fire suppression. You are also pretty likely to simply die from the flames in those 10 seconds unless you really were set aflame just right.

Except for the 'get to ground before they explode' it's exactly the same for ground vehicles. Only a ground vehicle swaps 'get to safety' with 'get to cover and hope nothing flanks/peeks around cover to finish you' since you can't leave the battlefield entirely to repair. Sure an aircraft needs to be afraid of other aircraft swooping down and mauling them, but so do ground vehicles but ground vehicles also need to be aware of every other ground unit to stay safe which aircraft don't need to do. Ground vehicles except the Harasser also don't have access to an afterburner that nullifies the reduction in speed and agility that the burning state causes.

Wouldn't you say that the noobs who died did so because they didn't take enough time to land? So if they didn't take enough time in the first place, how could they ever get a problem with having their aircraft capabilities nerfed eventually?
    Also because now their aircraft cockpit is locked, they now can't leave their aircraft until they are slow enough not to crash it. So at worst they'll crash to the ground because they went too fast and die just like they would die now, at best they are now stuck in their cockpit and will slow down until they can safely exit without crashing their plane. Or they'll panic and crash it themselves, but that wouldn't be different from what would happen right now would it?

It also boosts the value of ejection seat. But what would be your suggestion then? I actually wouldn't mind adding a bit extra health to ESF's, then when you reach this health (and are essentially already dead) your aircraft instantly loses any control and spirals down to earth to crash. You can't exit during this time and only if you were practically landed your wreck, and thus you, can survive. If you receive additional damage while crashing it breaks up like it does now and you are dead.

The cockpit receives damage and can't automatically open so you have to manually open it with your hands. If you go at too high a speed the air resistance becomes too much to open your cockpit so you have to slow down first.
  17. JobiWan

One of the beauties of PS2 is that it's a sandbox game, you play it how you want to play it, there's no 'proper' way to play it. So if people want to fly as a LA, let them. There are down sides to their choice, but it's their choice.

Same goes for other things like snipers camping terminals. Annoying as hell, but they're fully entitled to do it if they wish to.
    • Up x 1
  18. Azawarau

Its fine as is
  19. FateJH

For the sake of this thread's speculation the question is, "but could we add to the experience?"
  20. DeadlyOmen

No to restricting player freedom to be creative.