The Return of the Telemines [With Proof!]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Campagne, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Campagne

As some of you may know, I have had a long-standing suspicion that some players have somehow been able to spontaneously teleport anti-infantry mines. I have suspected such a phenomenon for a few years now, but only until now have I ever had any irrefutable evidence that this is something that does genuinely occur in PlanetSide 2.

[IMG]

As one can see, the mine that killed me did not exist when I had first entered the room. No mine was visible, and there was no detonation even as I walked over the very spot were one would soon be.

The mine only came into existence shortly after I had killed its owner, who's body still remained in the same place were it had fallen.

There is no legitimate means by which this could have happened. Neither I nor the Accused were lagging, and there was no other enemies or mines in the immediate area.
  2. FateJH

I believe there may be an enemy Infiltrator in that small cubby area near the balcony. I think you can just about makeout his sneaky cloaked head.

I have a proposal. RosaAstrum is fleeing into the other room (away from the capture point) when you first see him and the truth is you didn't have a clear line of sight of him or the point area while dealing with Rust. All other times in the video the view of the floor where the mine would have been laid remains blocked by your HUD or by your gun or by the capture point itself. Mines take a few client-side seconds to arm once placed and you move through that area of the room quickly at first. It's not impossible that you were saved from an initial explosion because of the arming timer and by being fleet-footed.
  3. ObiVanuKenobi

Mines have an activation delay when they are placed and when you turn around you can see him running out of the cap point room. He had a small window of time to place that mine right under/behind you and run away if he was cloaked inside the room.

It would be a very weird cheat. Why would someone waste their time figuring out and coding something so specific when there are far better possibilities to get an advantage over others like aimbots and esp.
  4. Campagne

Really? I can't quite tell if there was anyone there or not. If there was, they didn't move towards the point at all, as the point was "secured" for the duration of the video, post-RosaAstrum. If there was someone there though, then good eye. :p

I don't believe this is the case. If you watch closely when I hop over the computer thing, the spot were the mine is/was is visible for a few frames. Just after I killed Rosa I look over to the point, and again the spot is briefly visible for a moment.

Mines needing to arm is interesting though. Watching the video again, I think I also captured the mine arming itself. The trio of lights on it didn't light up until I was just next to it, which I suppose is an indication that it had become live.
  5. Campagne

As I stated in my above post, the place where the mine is/was was visible for a very brief moment, which is empty even just after the accused's death. Because of this, I really don't think that he could have possibly placed a mine there himself legitimately. He did not seem to be lagging either, having killed my NC teammate and died to me without failure.

It is rather weird, but I suspect its main use is as a sort of free "revenge" kill. Assuming it is indeed a cheat, that is. his is certainly the first time I've seen this happen in-game, and it frequently kills me almost immediately after I kill the owner. It's also kinda "quiet" and hard to really identify.
  6. FateJH

Oh, that's just a cosmetic feature or, rather, subtle camouflage. The lights are just responding to you getting close to the mine as they don't render further away. The Bouncing Betty has similar behavior.
    (The Claymore's beams of light are flat out inconsistent.)

What's the incident that first started making you think that anti-Infantry mines could be warped around the map, or place in predetermined coordinates?
  7. Campagne

The aforementioned screenshots:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Interestingly enough, it seems the mine appeared very shortly after his death, but much later than he could have actually placed it.
  8. Campagne

Ah, I see. I thought the only cosmetic thing was the "streams" that jet up when the thing goes off.

I first suspected this was happening a long time ago, a little over a year or so well before the Indar revamp. The player I suspected was a TR infiltrator using his claymores to mine a sunndy near by the "Stronghold." (If I can recall the name of the base correctly anyway.) He kept placing mines right next to the sunndy, so that when someone spawned it'd go off as soon as they moved. He got a lot of mine kills off of me and my multiple teammates.

Initially I didn't suspect him of being anything other than cheesy, as he was hanging around the area for much of the time, and I had even killed him in the act two or three times. It did seem like he was getting back with his mines very quickly at times though. After a while, we'd killed each other a good few times, and were lightly chatting.

Eventually the NC won the base and the sunny I was spawning from undeployed an took off. The driver was clearly heading off road to drive up the side of the hills to take the common position above the next base on the rocky arches and outcroppings up there. I've never cared much for those types of spots for sunndies, so I hopped out with the intent to just run the rest of the way, only to be immediately killed by the same TR's claymore.

I sent him a /tell, as we were chatting, and complained to him about yet another claymore. It all suddenly clicked when he said something along the lines of "stop running/spawning on the same sunndy," or some such thing. I had realised that he'd killed me with his mine, but he didn't even realize that the sunndy had already taken off and was half way to the next base and had thought I'd died next to a parked van half a base away.

There have been a few isolated incidents were I've suspected teleporting mines before, but almost none were as clear to me as this one was.
  9. Daigons

Just bad luck on your part. After stepping through the video, it looks like that player simply tossed the mine at a distance towards you while trying to get back into cover in the connecting room. However they were caught by the other player and was shot up which explains why they didn't cloak and try to ambush you.
  10. Campagne

Hmm, maybe, but I don't think so. That would have been quite a distance for the mine to have traveled, and the point tower thing itself would have likely gotten in the way if it was thrown from or near the doorway.
  11. GamerCat535

Another one of these again, huh? So you were beat and the only explanation behind it is the other guy cheated? Because, obviously no one could actually beat someone as good as you in a straight fight, right?
  12. Gundem

>doesn't even watch video
    >calls out OP for elitism
    >not even right
    >mfw

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. AZAN

Seems a bit of a bizarre hack to implement, my guess is that the server simply didn't register the mine for a short period due to lag. Since the last patch there have been buggy issues with mines with them going off later than expected or damage off multiple AV mines not happening. I think this is simply another manifestation of the same problem.

It's certainly eerie though.
  14. KirthGersen

>CQ: Bad
    R u even sirius?
  15. Septus

If such a hack existed people would be using it with c4 and tank mines to kill maxes and tanks and even flying aircraft. So it is probably just wonky server.
  16. Campagne

Well, theoretically someone could just use a speed and/or wall hack to get behind/above/below someone and blow them up anyway, but that would be much less discreet. :p
  17. Drag0

I've seen numerous c4 fairies just appear in mid air recently - its really lame.