Gatekeeper again..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Orakel, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Daigons

First video that I came across. All range compilation of Solo and Gunner play from Nov 2015.
    • Up x 1
  2. SpeedFreakPS1

lol of course the guy would have to have chesse in his name but the video demonstrates the point clearly, try shooting down air like that using any of the other factions harasser weapons
  3. Dieter Perras

Then it's probably just me :(
  4. ridicOne

I don't think the GK is OP, the gun is cheesy. I think the combination of the Prowler with the GK needs a look. Especially when you start to get out to to certain ranges.

Please give NC a long range AV railgun with higher damage, lower rate fire. ES faction specific.
  5. Daigons

Just practice...practice...practice. Start out by warming up in VR.
  6. Newlife1025

Thank you!!! Imo the nc gunner weapons dont feel strong. The enforcer just doesnt seem to do much damage to me. Id rather be with someone with halberds due to the damage. A buff would do great.
  7. Newlife1025

Nc seem to have it worse witb distance... yeah we have the enforcer, but in the hands of a newb, get smoked. Halbred is a great alternative, but as said those weapons require skill.
  8. Celeris

The only thing unique about the gatekeeper is that it is overpowered. Even from the mouths of most TR players I talk to about it, they are almost unanimous in saying it's the most boring weapon in the TR arsenal to use but they feel compelled to use it because it's so damn effective.

Uniquely bland you mean maybe? The entire weapon system is a prime example of design failure, it has no room for the player to demonstrate skill and it's so imbalanced, it has practically destroyed the armour game for anyone that isn't TR. There is no flavour to the Gatekeeper, only the overpowering stench of design failure. Thanks DBG dev team, you're ineptitude is a shining example for all others on how not to do your job.
    • Up x 1
  9. Celeris

Buffing the other faction secondaries is not the answer IMO. There are other factors to consider other than simply the interaction of tank vs tank. The GK is brutally good against air and also lightnings. If these long range weapons proliferated as much across all the factions, tank warfare would ONLY be between tanks using their ESLR AV weapons. Right now, at least the halberd gets use on the VS and NC factions and lightnings have some role to play when playing against VS and NC.

The reasons for the Saron and Enforcer nerfs were sound when they were enacted, those reasons are still sound today. Tank combat IS much better when the vehicles are forced to close to reasonable (sub 300m) distances to be decisive. There's only one spanner in those works and it's the GK's idiotically long range effectiveness.
  10. Celeris

Reload times? If you can still get 120 shots off a minute, with reloading, and still have time between shots to let the CoF settle, I'd like to see a demonstration of this.
  11. Celeris

Mags are almost never 1/2. It's simply a huge waste of resources to pull a mag with no gunner. A prowler with no gunner is actually decent, as is a vanguard, but less so than a prowler.
  12. EPIC389

The thing with the gatekeeper is that its good, but its not fun. Seriously camping on a hill sniping at vehicles while effective is nowhere near as entertaining as going toe to toe with mbts, sundys and harassers
  13. kr47er

Even if I often get pissed off about prowlers I must agree with you here. MBT mechanics are good to me, even if the prowler may be OP comparing to the mag,the prowler's not the problem, it's the mag's bullet velocity and drop. With the punishments of just being able of shooting forward and the fact that any contact with the terrain/other drivers will screw your shot, its unacceptable such bullet drop and velocity. The mag is completely useless at range. Obviously I'm not telling to give it long range capacity comparable to the prowler, but every MBT should have decent long range capacity, and actually the mag is the only one without it (I mean on the main battle cannons,because aphelion is way more OP that the GK at range)

Even if the mag gets buffed we still would have the prowler problem. why?

Let's take a look to what happens when a faction caps a facility and they need to move to the next.(generally)

VS: They will spawn a couple of sundys, someone will pull a lightning, maybe even some mag if the terminal allows it. but the majority of the people will wait till the sundy reaches the next base to continue battle or move to another base.

NC: Unpredictable. They'll usually act like VS, but its not strange seeing them going to the next base by feet or by ulling a decent ammount of vehicles.

TR: More than the 50% of the people will pull a vehicle, almost for sure it'll be a battle one. several people will fall back to previous bases in order to spawn a prowler.

The problem here is not the prowler nor the GK, it's the TR vehicle spam (at least on my servers, where there are way more main prowler players than main vanguard or main magburn).
    Trust me, if the magburner would be more balanced and it would have more comunity around it, this post would be named "Aphelion again".
  14. AZAN

If the GK is so good across the board then surely the answer is simply to remove one aspect of it so it is more niche.
    • Reducing its velocity would make it a lot worse against aircraft
    • Reducing its range would make it a lot worse against vehicles (and get rid of the render issues)
    • Removing its splash would make it worse against infantry
    • Adding a lot of drop would make it worse against everything at longer range
    Pick one and the odds are it will still be perfectly usable for everything else you do with it.
  15. Towie

That was the earlier version of the GK on the Harasser - the post-nerf version is slightly different, it now has recoil, slower shell speed and more drop which makes the ultra long range stuff harder.

Note however that the Prowler version still has no recoil - so they can just plug away until the target is dead or manages to find cover. This version is almost as good as it ever was.
  16. Scifi

I went as a VS and got myself a Harasser with a Aphelion, then went on a rampage. Killed loads of vehicles very easily, then joined the TR got a Gamekeeper, yet again very easily killed lots of vehicles, an same with the vulcan. You notice the speed of which you can destroy sunderers and other vehicles very quickly in some circumstances.

Then I went back onto the NC side, you notice the difference straight away. It's not a subtle difference, its more like a WTF are the devs playing at....!!!
  17. Dieter Perras

nah dying repeatedly is much more fun :confused:
    • Up x 1
  18. ColonelChingles

About half of Magriders (and all MBTs really) are 1/2.

So about half the time Magriders are running around 1/2.
  19. Naberius13

I just want to note, SpeedFreakPS1 here is still playing the game and still riding Magrider with the VS Zerg on Connery.

GK's fine if the Saron's fine. This isn't a balance issue anymore, it's an L2P issue with people who aren't used to changing tactics.
  20. SpeedFreakPS1

Yes I'm still playing I dumped my all access and still debating leaving altogether when my all access ends, you don't get your money back for the months you pay for after you end it.