merge all servers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by obamacares, Jul 21, 2016.

1. obamacares

Please read the entire post ( or at least skim it ) before commenting

Just had an idea, it's not original by any means but tell me what you guys think.
    Essentially, every server gets merged into one ( or two ) big servers.

This would be good because:
    1 - players on dying servers ( briggs and connery ) would be able to experience larger battles more often

2 - due to different time zones, ghost capping at night wouldn't be a thing anymore and if someone wants to stay up real late they would still find some good fights, rather than be one of the 10 people still playing the game at 5 am.

3 - there would be more battles, and bigger battles, and even more bigger battles, and both of the continents open at any given moment would be highly populated ( currently, at least on emerald, the continent with an alert is the one with tons of people and the other continent has maybe one or two decent sized battles )

4 - the communities on each different server would finally unite! :)

5 - if there are tons of people playing the game on the server on an annual basis, an extra continent could open up, this would allow us to play on our favorite continent more often!

pre - emptive counter arguments:

ping - ping wouldn't be a huge issue considering -

1: ps2 isn't a twitch shooter and already has tons of latency issues, so you wouldn't notice it

2: there are already tons of players from foreign countries with like 120 ping playing on your server

3: due to time zone differences, you wouldn't be experiencing tons of players with high ping playing during your
    areas "prime time". Some do, but most people don't play games at 6 in the morning.

4: have you ever actually played on a server that isn't anywhere close to where you live? ( eu servers and briggs for me ). Trust me, it's not the bad. The game feels exactly the same.

"tight-nit communities" -

are you serverist? you'll still get to play with your homies from your current server, but also get to play with different people. It'll be great!

People always playing their favorite continent and only their favorite continent ( if more continents open up to accommodate more people ) -

1 - We'll still have alerts to motivate people and outfits to come to a certain continent

2 - indar isn't everyones favorite continent

3 - many people ( myself included ) love diversity, so there would still be tons of people who would play on whatever continent that they are in the mood for at any given time

4 - there would still be 1 continent closed at any given time ( so that locking down a continent actually means something )
  2. PlanetBound

Second Life does that where many servers compose the "world".
  3. Diggsano

NOOOOO

HELL NO

OH GOD NO PLEASE NO JUST NO NOPE NEVER EVER

NO
  4. obamacares

any reasoning behind why you are reacting as if you are trapped in a dark room with higby?
  5. Diggsano

Well i don't know....

Have you heard of the weird words called "Ping" "Client" "hit detection"?

You know....
    Not all live in the USA...
  6. obamacares

Already addressed this in my main post
    but i'll recap for you in case you don't want to read it all

1 - time zones would prevent you from playing against too many people that live really far away

2 - due to the pretty bad latency of this game coupled with the fact that this game isn't a twitch shooter that relies on good hit detection and amazing tickrate, you wouldn't really notice it

3 - I don't care what server you are currently on, half of its population at any given time are people with 100+.200+ maybe even 300+ ( although the 300 part is probably quite an exageration ) ping
  7. Liewec123

merge ALL servers? hell no! you think lag and hit detection is bad already? throw people on the australian server in with americans

the game has only 2 merges left, the 2 EU servers merged into one and the 2 american servers merged in to one.
  8. obamacares

I said 1 or two servers

but then what about the guys at briggs? they have terribly low pop numbers

Oh and no, I don't really think it's that bad.
  9. Diggsano

Look at the title of the Thread.... "ALL SERVERS"
  10. Nasher

There would be constant population locks, especially on Miller. Where everyone who isn't an American plays.
  11. obamacares

Read the post, it was only the second line :
  12. johnway

i'm all for the EU server merge, namely so that i can have all 3 of my accounts in one place and i can play them all in one place and hopefully combine the medium numbers of both servers into an epic server. Or lagfest.

can't comment on the US or AUS servers though.
  13. kr47er

Totally agreeing about merging the two US servers and the two EU ones.I see more benefits than punishments.But I think the australian one needs to stay
  14. Taemien

Landmark already does this. It uses the same netcode and engine as PS2 as well.

What it does is you have continents connected by a Nexus spire (works very much like a warpgate). But instead of showing just a list of your server's continents. You can also select the other servers' copies of those continents. How it could work here is in PS2 when you visit a terminal you can go to Indar-Connery or Indar-Miller.

They'd have to change how continent locks and bonuses work. But it'd work well.

The only issue is we'd lose 'server identity'. Which is a lost cause anyway. I've been merged to another server twice so I don't give two sh-ts about server identity. And latency isn't an issue between NA and EU. I've played FPS's for several years and never had any issues with EU based servers.

UK based players might see better latencies on NA in the next couple of years depending on how much of a d-ck the EU wants to be to them concerning internet traffic. Have to wait and see on that one. (or vice versa depending on where that server is located)

The upside is no matter what shift you work, no matter what timezone you're on, there will be a decent fight to join in with.
    • Up x 1
  15. Kamikazi Kamper

I'm all for this... can you imagine actually seeing multiple full platoons gal dropping... brings to mind scenes of WWII with all the paratroopers .. I think it would be good despite any lag spikes... Epic batles are what I like about this game to begin with.
  16. freeAmerish

17. breeje

maybe, i don't know
    i live in Europe and on the Euro servers i have a ping of 20ms
    on the American servers with a alt i have a ping of 80ms
    it would be possible for me but maybe not for everyone

is it not better to cut your loss and make a new character on a new server
    the only problem that i see is, you will be sleeping in prime time
  18. fumz

Packet loss degrades server performance. See Battlenonsense' videos for a detailed explanation why this is.

You're being enormously generous with respect to pings from foreign countries, to the point of absurdity. Guys from China ping much greater than 120ms. I'm on the west coast and often ping 120 east.

With only one server you would always have to deal with unreasonably high ping.

Yes, you playing out of region feels fine... for you. Everyone having to deal with you has the opposite opinion of you being there. The reason for why has already been gone over, by you, in your first point.
  19. cobaltlightning

Having 2 or 3 of these 'Super' servers might actually do more good than harm.
    I say 2 or 3, to take into account all the non-US players out there. 500+ ping is indeed very noticeable, and even small amounts can really throw you off your grooves.

Personally, a Connery-Emerald server might be even more fun than both of them separate, for example. I know how a lot of Emerald outfits play, but not so much of Connery, and I don't feel like sacrificing 40ms+ just to experience it. Mind,I tend to hover around 150 or so now.
  20. fumz

Unless dbg sets up a server in Asia the same problems that currently plague Connery will also plague any Connery/Emerald merged server. People in Asia have no place to play. That needs to be fixed.