Snipers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Javier2331, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Eternaloptimist

It's feast or famine in my experience.

Last night I got killed 8 times in one battle by snipers while flying, running, zigging and zagging at different locations all around the base we were defending (and outside of it). I think the lowest BR sniper who got me was BR 103. Daft of me really as I usually go stalker after realising I'm in sniper central.

Other nights I don't see or hear a single one of them or they are easily located and fall to my carbine.

When they are good they are enormously frustrating and when they aren't they are toast...............a bit like any other class I come up against tbh.
  2. johnway

Tbh i don't find snipers all that annoying. My play style of going second, usually saves my bacon more often. Another strategy that i learnt (from wrel no less) is to look down at the ground! You head gets tucked into your chest and there's a greater chance of headshots. Of course, luck might be with them and they get a lucky chest shot... keep moving and never too often as a straight line generally reduce attacks.

Before i stopped playing PS2 i did opt more and more frequently as a sniper as i sat in spawn rooms, back of rooms, behind cover and picked people off with a high powered rifle. Mt fav targets were:

Engineers. Those in turrets or fixing turrets were sitting ducks. They kept in one location and the turret gave them a false sense of security that i enjoyed exploiting.

Other infiltrators. you'll be surprised how few infiltrators move sometimes. I was guilty of it sometimes. Once someone finds a nice sweet spot, they think just cloaking and sitting in one position was enough to save them. one of the first things i learnt as a sniper was to stay cloaked and observe, see where all the gun fire was coming from and who was where. Once i see one, i set up and pick targets off.

people stuck in doorways or shooting out of windows. Again, predictable spots. False sense of security and they're nice targets. my advise? stand away from the windows when shooting out of them. One of my fav tactics when sniping out of windows/doorways was to stand in a different room or shoot through a building. Biodome entrances were great for farming as well. there were some sweat spots you could shoot from. When ever there was a zerg stuck on the outside and i couldn't get close to the action, i would usually squeal with glee and pull out a high powered rifle to start farming.

Anyway, i digress. long range infiltrators ultimately aren't the main threat as they can't capture objectives from a distance. Sure, they deny others to the objective, but its those upclose and personal who can flip a base are a bigger concern. Or the tanks/liberators shelling the base.

But for annoying factor? yeah, a sudden headshot is annoying. but what annoys me are infiltrator SMGs and cloaked furies just getting close to run you over or just for a quick kill. Wish i did more of that when i played.
  3. kr47er

even if I used to play stalker and enjoyed it I would renounce to it. here is why:

allways thinked that an infiltrator shuold have more posibilities to flank/pick up unawared people than cloaking.
    I would happily change the stalker cloak for an ability that would allow me to walk on walls unlimitedly, It would be very situationally usefull, but very interesting also. Just imagine standing on the ceiling of a tech plant's A point with a sniper. or in the inner side of a biolab's dome. The positioning would give you big advantage but since you would be so easy to see (specially when ascending) I think it would be balanced. Actually i see it underpowered compared to the benefits of cloaking, so i doubt ballance would be a problem.

anyway I would replace it for the nano-armor cloaking, not for the stalker.
  4. Devilllike

3 years and you still dont know how to not stand still or how to zig zag discrasfull
  5. Rebelgb

Inf's are frustrating me again as well. It would seem they brought back the one-shot (headshot) kill again even against a fully healthy, shielded Heavy with maxed Nano.

Really was questioning my enjoyment and future of the game (for me) last night. Direct hit several heavys with my Striker only to have them shake it off and kill me (noone should survive a rocket round to the chest), yet had continual one-shot head shot deaths to snipers, even when shielded.
  6. guerrillaman

Snipers are needed IMO.

However... at terminals.....

I just wish there was something I could do about the second plus it takes between me moving around avoiding the sniper, and the vehicle or construction object rendering so I can move again.

That's exploitation.
  7. Rebelgb

Thats why I play Engi. If the terminal is in a confined space I lay down some random fire into the corners, set up Claymores at entrances to avoid 'stalkers' and put up my Anti Turret. Its a lot of work just to spawn a vehicle but it gets the job done and the random Inf I kill really brings a smile to my face...
  8. Hegeteus

There aren't that many snipers to be honest. It takes huge amount of skill to be useful as a sniper and they're mostly not very efficient(myself included when I tried it), but I don't blame people if that's what they want to do. Sniping isn't really an easily and effortlessly rewarding tactic in PS2
  9. BartasRS

I find 3 types of players to be easy prey for long range snipers:
    1. An engi shooting from their turrets
    2. Other long range snipers
    3. Heavies aiming their rocket launchers

The rest arre the people who cannot move around, simple.
  10. oTec

True, most of my kills are people who are in the middle of firing at someone else, standing still. I do get moving kills quite frequently but only on flat terrain though. Moving + running over small hills / holes makes the head move constantly and my simple on-board computer can't handle that well. (PS: I'm meaning my brain, not my h4x :D)

But then again, i hardly play any sniper <.<
  11. PlanetBound

Usually when sniper gets me I was wanting to spawn somewhere else anyway. KD means nothing to me.
  12. Scifi

If its abt vanu sniper then yeah i would agree, cos them lame snipers have no bullet drop.
  13. BartasRS

Only on few weapons which are not meant for very long range sniping.
  14. Thor04

Snipers are annoying to people who have no clue how to move or are just lazy to change their habits. For sniper it is very hard to kill target that is on the move and if they hit headshot then **** it they deserve that kill.If they put two bullets in you again **** it they deserve it especially if you zig zag. If there are multiple snipers then mad props to them for organizing and making those shoots together. No need to be bitter when it is so easy to avoid them.

Sniping is hard work dudes don't cry about it when you can re spawn and you are on your way while sniper has to move a lot more then you to just get in position then after he fires few rounds he has to move again. Sniping is very well done in this game and there is absolutely no need to change anything.
    • Up x 1
  15. Sinful Raevyn

Joined 2012.... doesn't know that vanu "snipers" do have bullet drop. Specifically the bolt action rifles (which are most essential for long range sniping). >_> Parallax especially can be annoying because it also has a bit of bullet rise at closer ranges.

As for the silly little infantry that complain... Your tears are so delicious. ^_~

[IMG]
  16. KaneRu

My thoughts that snipers, if they choose sniper rifels. Shold't have any cloack to use.
    U asking why?
    It is very simple, they hide in hills and mountains, and unteel they shooot in you, you will never know that you are will be killing (1 shot)
    It means you did'nt have any chanses against them untill you didn't know where are they. And it will newer happened becouse you will know their directions only AFTER they began to shoot in you.
    Cloak must be available only for thouse who fighting in 1st line of batle and in QCQ
  17. Nasher

They made sniping to easy. They should have kept it the way it was in beta. They removed most of the bullet drop and travel time from sniper rifles.

But they are like a plague. You need to wiggle around 100% of the time as infantry.

TBH they should not be able to one shot heavy assaults and engineers should get more protection when behind turrets.
  18. Thor04

No that would suck so much and no one would take sniper then. If snipers didn't have it they would be mowed down by tanks,ESFs,ibs etc. It would me impossible to move around and get in position with out cloak. To me it seems like you never played with a sniper ?

@Nasher
    Well I think it is better with less bullet drop and faster travel time since it makes long range sniping viable and useful not to mention more fun.

Why is heavy assault so special that it shouldn't be one shoot killed ? I agree turret needs to have better protection right now its only used as cover. Also it should make snipers move to flanking position.
  19. Eternaloptimist

Depends on the rifle I think. I read somewhere that the top tier snipers (Parallax, RAMS .50 and Longshot) all have the same performance including bullet drop. Maybe the other VS BASRs as well..............haven't sniped as VS in a long time so I'll have to check that out
  20. FieldMarshall

This may sound strange, but i would recommend you play sniper yourself for a while.
    After learning more about how snipers play and when targets are the most vulnerable to snipers, you can use that knowledge when you play other classes to counter snipers.
    Im not just talking about ADAD'ing when running across open areas (which is usually predictable and will get you killed anyway)
    But little things, like "twitching" when you are just standing still outside.
    Or knowing how long you can stand still ADSing at someone before you have to move.
    Where snipers are most likely to be and always moving behind cover to where you want to go, even if its a slight detour.
    How to pull a vehicle without getting sniped, etc.

I always assume there is a sniper aiming in my direction when im running outside, and play accordingly.
    Which can be frustrating at times, but i very rarely die to snipers.

I recently auraxed sniper rifles, and it was a really good learning experience.
    It was also the quickest and easiest weapon directive i have done.

Some sort of suit slot to reduce headshot damage would be nice though.
    Giving up flak/nanoweave seems like a reasonable tradeoff.