[Suggestion] Underbarrel Overhaul

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Joexer, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Joexer

For those of you who do not know me: I am a longtime player of PS2 and I was an active forumite here until a few months ago, A lot has changed in the attitudes of the community and content of the game, so after my Break, I am back!

So, the topic. If you had seen my last posts, you will see that (eventually) I got what I wanted, which was mostly pistol Buffs, which we got, and Burst rifle buffs, also added.

But the game has changed and I have another suggestion. Rocklet rifles are cool, I wont lie. But it takes away from one of my favorite attachments. Under-barrel Weapons. They Had a lot of effort put into them, the models, the animations, and the mechanic itself. But it has fallen from its former glory due to its spam-able nature and high damage... LETS CHANGE THAT!

While I do not support reverting the changes that happened so very long ago, I suggest that they be made more "user-friendly" and effective at their respective roles.

All:
    • double accuracy while in flight or jumping. Currently it is about a 15 degree spread as measured with rangefinder and flat trajectory
    • reduce reload times by 1/6 or to 2.5seconds, the current animation looks far to casual.
    • Increase equip time on weapon by 25%, currently it does not make a noticable difference
    • Speed up Toggle time right now its about half a second, which makes switching in combat difficult
    UBGL:
    • Add 1 grenade to Ammo Pool.
    • Remove Minimum Arm Distance(rl ubgl use a contact fuse)
    Smoke:
    • No change!
    Shotgun:
    • Spread Reduced by 50%(66.6 % of current) This increases range of a 1hk by about 2m and reduces randomness at face to face range (3m)
    • Ammo pool increased to 5 rounds, 1 by 1 still
    Comment and critique!
  2. FieldMarshall

I would really like to see a seperate keybinding for firing the underbarrel instead of having to swap to it every time.
    Especially the shotgun. Maybe lower its damage to compensate, i dont know.

From what i have experienced, most situations when you need your underbarrel shotgun its better to just swap to your commisioner or something instead.
    • Up x 5
  3. DooDooBreff

i gotta agree with this guy.

i basically dont use underbarrels because when i really want to use it, and the heat is on, i fumble the buttons and get dead
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

the biggest change i'd like to see is less "downtime" when switching between under barrel and normal gun,
    it shouldn't be quicker to pull out a pistol than to simply flick a switch on the gun you're already using!
    as an avid Brawler user i think it would be an amazing change :)
    • Up x 1
  5. Crayv

I would like if the UBGL could carry just one more grenade, it is so frustrating trying to resupply ammo on the thing.
  6. Corezer

RL UBGL have a minimum arm distance of 21m
  7. Joexer

Ah. was looking at old ones, The M203 has an arm distance of 14m
    so maybe it is accurate...
  8. orangejedi829

I'm gonna echo everyone else and say that the switching kills the UBs for me. Both the delay and the need to press a button to switch back and forth before firing. If there were a simple separate button to fire the UB attachment, without switching weapon modes, it would make everything better, IMO.
    • Up x 1
  9. CorporationUSA

The underbarrel shotgun is too unreliable, due to the hit detection. I tried it for a while and gave up.
  10. Joexer

I never said i dont like the idea... I like it a lot... but there is also the issue of usability, sure if you got the seperate button, and it makes sense too, as there is a second trigger in the models for the UB attatchments.

There is still the rearming bugs with grenades especially (they re supply very slowly), The ammo capacity relative to any other weapon (very small pool)
  11. Joexer

I have always believed this but if i recall correctly a dev said that the equip speed is the reason for the toggle
    • Up x 1
  12. Masyaka

ppl reccomend newbies to use UBGL, NC noob swarms gonna clear your gates in a hour
  13. Demigan

Yes! As I've proposed before:
    Press X (or whatever button you think is best) to fire your underbarrel weapon. Press X again to reload. When firing it increases your COF, but it does not interrupt anything. So you can be firing your gun at the same time as you fire your underbarrel.

Of course this means we need to reduce the damage as you say. Having an LA with an underbarrel OHK shotgun without any drawbacks on having to switch to it is going one step too far.

We can then add some extra underbarrel weapons to enhance each class.
    For example: Many (or all) Medic weapons get a heal/revive dart underbarrel attachment. Fire it to heal/revive a single person at range.
    • Up x 1
  14. Daigons

Won't that just lead to players being able to fire both their main weapon & under barrel at the same time? That sounds over powered.
  15. Demigan

yes it will allow players to use them at the same time. That's why the underbarrel attachments need a nerf. The underbarrel shotgun is probably more than good enough if it deals around 500 damage in one shot if you can be firing your normal rounds at the same time.

But think of how it will change the game! Underbarrel attachments could stop bein a gimmick and become an important part of gameplay variation and choice. Underbarrel attachments could have special utilities, such as firing off a tiny-AOE flashbang for LA's or a revive/heal dart of Medics. They modify the way you play and add combat options. Someone with an underbarrel shotgun can now close the distance with the intent to finish off the target with the shotgun. Someone with a solid-slug underbarrel weapon could use it to finish off a longer-range target or get a good alpha-damage on the target before the battle begins etc.
  16. chuck105

I'm not sure about allowing players to fire ub attachments while shooting, whether or not that's realistic. A simply QOL change would go a long way, basically add a button that fires the ub and switches to the attachment, after firing reloading triggers. Tapping it again while reloading cancels reload and switches back to primary. Holding the button (on PS4), switches without firing.

On PS4, ub attachments are treated as firing modes, which means that other than battle rifles, switching to them is very tedious. I think you should be able to use an under barrel shotgun quickly, but not without interrupting your primary. I think removing the ohk potential on either would eliminate their viability.
  17. kr47er

Highly agreeing. UB attachments feel quite useless now.

but there is a problem here. even if would like to see auraxium weapons upgraded and it would be a nice point to the carbines, the NC auraxium shotgun would be too OP here. Still I would vote yes just to give sense to having an UB shotgun on a shotgun.
    Jesus I would actually accepted better the UB shotgun on the aurax sniper.

Actually making the eqip time almost unexisting makes more sense to me here.
  18. OldMaster80

Separate keybinding would definitely make the ub grrnade launchers more useful. The ub shotgun is instead too unreliable: too unpredictable due to hit detection, takes too long to arm.