What is the M-60 Bulldog Lorewise?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by widgetdog, Jul 16, 2016.

1. widgetdog

So, the M-60 Bulldog vehicle weapon has always seemed odd to me. Most weapons like it in this game are grenade launchers, yet there is nothing in its description or performance disqualifying it from being a mortar. Its description says it fires "rounds" and I assume that if it were a grenade launcher, it would say "grenades" like in the description of other grenade launchers for the sake of specificity. Basically, I want to know if the developers intended it to be a grenade launcher or mortar. I know this doesn't affect gameplay, but I'm just curious. Also, take into account that the Bulldog projectile has fins. While this isn't a "I think it should be a grenade launcher/mortar" or "I think it is a grenade launcher/mortar" question, that sort of answer is fine. What I would love to see is an official document or statement, made by the developers, referring to it as one or the other.
  2. Taemien

You almost have to ask yourself what is the difference between a mortar and a grenade? Typically grenades are hand thrown with timed fuses (very rarely are they impact based, but possible). But then you have the standard 40mm grenade fired from a rifle. Is it really a grenade though? Its not thrown. But it is 'fired' from a firing pin and such. Mortar is kind of the same thing. You drop it in and it fires out. The only difference is a grenade's firing pin is struck from a spring loaded trigger vs gravity.

Then you've got the thing where grenade launchers are normally carried. Well not so much anymore. You've got weapons like the MK 19 which is emplaced on a tripod or mounted.

Originally mortars were cannons meant to give the projectile a high ballistic arc. I'd think that description is more accurate as a grenade launcher has a smaller arc than a mortar.

I wouldn't get wrapped up too much around the terminology. Unless you're just curious for lore purposes. But from what I've seen in the military, we call sh-t things based on what feels right. Rather than simply trying to standardize it. I mean some of it does make sense, but much won't. And that's before you get into acronyms.. and acronyms inside acronyms. And warlocks, paladins, daggers, and excaliburs (official terms by the way, have fun with those, I think we have actual nerds naming this crap).
  3. FateJH

Internally, parts of the mesh of the weapon itself is called as a "mortar."

That's also the same mesh elements used in the Engineer AV MANA turret, if you've noticed.
    • Up x 1
  4. Lightwolf

The initial bulldog had far slower projectiles, far larger arc, and far bigger explosive radius. It slowly became what we know today, but initially, it had very mortar like qualities.
  5. ColonelChingles

Yup, it's pretty much a mortar.

Then again, according to the internal files the AV MANA turret is a mortar and the Dalton is a 105mm cannon.
  6. JKomm

That would be interesting to see the AV MANA turret fire like a mortar instead of the wire-guided rocket we have today... would certainly be a terrible weapon that's for sure.
  7. ColonelChingles

I assume originally it was meant to be an anti-infantry weapon, not an AV weapon.
  8. Umbasa666

I think of it is a miniature howitzer. It doesn't have true indirect fire capability but you really have to compensate for drop to use it will beyond point blank range.