Planetside 2 lag?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SwissDank, Jul 8, 2016.

1. SwissDank

Why do i have real bad lag during small battle its 33-50 fps and large battle its under 30 fps
    Specs
    I5 4590
    Gtx 970 SC ACX 2.0
    8gb ram
    250gb HD
    Windows 10

Settings are ultra but even when i lower the settings i get no fps increase

Res 1920×1080

All of my nvidia drivers are up to date.
  2. chevyowner

3. PasitheeVS

Maybe your RAM is too small.
    Months ago I saw that when playing PS2, my PC is using almost 8GB of Ram. (I have 16GB however)
    So when your RAM is too less and bottlenecks it can cause massive performance loss.

Also I would recommend to turn Shadows off. It saves a lot of performance. (There is no large difference between low and ultra shadows however)

Btw. until recently I used an i5-4590 as well with a GTX 960.
    Most of the time the 960 was the bottleneck (until recently in mid to super-large fights), but I could easily get over 100 FPS on lower pops. (Now I am using an i5-4690k@4,6Ghz and get much more stable fps)
  4. CutieG

I have a Celeron g1840 (2,8GHz dual-core), GTX 960 4GB (obviously overclocked as much as stable), 12GB RAM (only 1400MHz because of my CPU) and running the game off of an HDD. 1080p on an 144Hz monitor, but I only ever reach around 70FPS in situations where nothing happens. Large battles are 20 to 30 FPS, under 20 if I got background tasks or the fight is really heavy on resources. Otherwise I hover in the 30 to 50 FPS range.

OP, have you checked the FPS indicator? Press left alt+f and it will show if you are bottlenecked on CPU or GPU.
    My GPU doesn't give a **** and hovers around 30 to 50% usage, while my CPU goes to 100% at all times and is always indicated as the bottleneck by the game.
    My HDD thankfully doesn't cause issues, aside from loading times.
    As for RAM usage, even while I use a browser in the background, the system load never reaches 8GB. It sits more around 5 to 6GB.

The fact that your graphics settings do nothing implies a CPU bottleneck. Do you have a second monitor? If yes, run task manager there, as well as HWmonitor (in case you have thermal issues that throttle your components - look up the stats for your CPU and GPU, especially concerning the CPU's turbo boost feature), if not use windowed mode and do the same and pray that everything fits on your screen.
  5. PasitheeVS

If it's not the RAM...

which GPU are you using? The GTX 970 or the integrated GPU of the i5?
    So, where did you plug your Montor cable in? In the GTX 970 or the Mainboard?
  6. Spude

7. SwissDank

One thing i did notice is my cpu usage is at like 30-40% never goes over 50%
  8. FeralBoy

I play on a roughly 6 year old Asus G73JH laptop. It has an i7 720QM quad core processor. I also had some extreme lag and frame rate issues until I found some various tweaks. I see you have an i5 4590 which is also a quad core processor. A potentially significant difference between i5 and i7 quad cores is that the i7's have Intel's HyperThreading technology. Let me back track a bit before I return to HyperThreading.

After I found some webpages with "Planetside 2 graphics tweaks" and incorporating some of these ingame system "tweaks" I did notice an increase in my framerates and lag reduction but it was very minimal, and it did nothing to solve the even bigger issue of my CPU being listed as the ingame system bottleneck, not my GPU, which I would much rather have listed as the ingame system bottleneck.

After some more research I found there might be an issue with my quad core having "parked" or unused cores. Lo and behold after I downloaded a program that ran checks to monitor this I found that only 1 of my potential 8 cores were "unparked", which meant the other 7 were not being used at all when trying to run the CPU crushing game we lovingly know as PS2.
    This is where the HyperThreading comes back into play. Even though the i7 is a quad core processor it has the potential to have 4 "virtual cores" for a total of 8. After I ran the "unparking manager" portion of this program I now had 8 cores all running. This had an immediate and far bigger impact on my gaming performance than any of the other "tweaks" I had tried, and now my GPU, not my CPU is always listed as the ingame system bottleneck. ;)
    Even though your i5 4590 doesn't have HyperThreading technology it is entirely possible that not all 4 of your cores are "unparked" or being used.

When I get home I will find the name of the specific program I used to "unpark" all of my cores and I will post it here if you would like.
  9. CutieG

http://ark.intel.com/products/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-1_60-GHz

I'm surprised you can run the game playably at all. I had a second generation i7 on my notebook, which has much higher performance, but PS2 still killed it.

I think it was this one:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

It is also very unlikely that a desktop CPU has cores disabled, unless the guy did something ****ey with his system's BIOS. Not to mention that he already said that his CPU only goes up to 50% load.
  10. FeralBoy

That's why I said "entirely possible". ;)
    If you're troubleshooting for performance issues it only makes sense to troubleshoot all the possibilities. :)