Explanation of Forward Grip changes in the latest patch - what changed and why

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Iridar51

• Up x 10
  2. Erendil

LOL I was just gonna PM ya to see if you noticed that bug fix in the patch notes! :cool: I just about passed out when I saw it!

Awesome explanation in your blog too! I can confirm through testing in VR that it is indeed fixed on the Pulsar C and the Orion.

I perused your old explanation of this issue here: http://iridar.net/horizontal-recoil-tolerance/

According to your old page, assuming your calculation were correct, the following weapons were affected by this:

These were less accurate with grip:
    • Orion VS54
    • VX29 Polaris
    • T9 CARV S
    • TAR
    • Equinox VE2
    • Pulsar C
    These were about the same with or without grip:
    • NC6 Gauss SAW
    • Carnage AR
    • Corvus VA55
    This was sometimes better, sometimes worse with grip:
    • AF-4 Cyclone
    So all of the above would have essentially received an accuracy buff. Does that sound about right?
  3. Iridar51

Yeah, I tested it on PTS when fix was first deployed there, and it seemed like it got fixed.
    Pretty much :)

Though I wouldn't really call making the weapon perform like it should buffing it :p
    • Up x 1
  4. Diggsano

Iridar could you please look at the Sirius with forward grip and say if it looks stupid?

i mean..... it looks like the soldier haven't got any force to hold the weapon at all :D
  5. nehylen

I've tested very quickly on live training yesterday, and it doesn't seem like the new system is working well just yet. Pulsar C & Gauss SAW looked ok (2 kicks). SVA-88, Orion or EM6 didn't (still 3 with FG).
  6. Iridar51

How did you perform the testing? Because things like number of kicks are only apparent when you watch a recorded video frame by frame under magnification.

I'll run some tests when I get back from work, but you probably just didn't test it properly. At the very least because Pulsar C doesn't get 2 kicks, it kicks only 1 time in each direction with or without Forward Grip.
  7. nehylen

I made a mistake in stating 2 kicks next to Pulsar C: it was truly having only one, it's just that putting it next to SAW in the post which had 2, is poorly formulated on my part.
    It did show 1 kick for AFG Pulsar C and 2 kicks for Gauss SAW.

I did as follow:
    Training zone on live, 6x scope, align sights with some intersection, hold breath, shoot. Didn't record footage un like some previous check-outs i did when you were trying to figure the HRT mess out, as it was just a very quick check; litterally minutes before going to sleep.
    However, I can usually spot the number of kicks rather easily without even recording, and it didn't seem proper for those guns i mentioned (SVA, Orion, EM6).
    I can't be entirely sure without recording, it seemed obvious enough. Nevertheless, do intend to do a proper check later.

As for the list of guns theoretically affected, there's a bit more than Erendil's list, i had specified them all in a spreadsheet of mine..
  8. Iridar51

Same.

EM6 is supposed to get 3 kicks, though. With Horizontal Recoil of 0.17 and Tolerance of 0.7,

Half Tolerance would be 0.35, and it would take 3 kicks to overcome it. Orion should be getting 2 kicks, and SVA should be getting 2 to 3:

Recoil of 0.2 / 0.23 and Tolerance of 0.9, Half Tolerance: 0.45

So depending on random with horizontal recoil magnitude, sometimes it will have 3 kicks.
  9. nehylen

EM6 shouldn't, unless it's the work of the decimals since it's 0.175 compared to 0.7 . Do remember those decimals are ignored for the Corvus, so we may assume there's some rounding up, and that it should be consistent.
    It's however possible the system was alleviated in such a way with that last patch.

As for the SVA, i was certain it had strict 0.20 horizontal since last autumn which it is supposed to have, yet that isn't the case, according to the API. I don't remember a patch changing that (only the Pulsar LSW had some change to CoF AFAIK).
    I guess that makes it a bug!
  10. Iridar51

Agh, PlanetStats rounds recoil values to 2 decimals. I'll get in contact with L33, see if he can address that.

It doesn't matter, though. Half tolerance is 0.35, and accumulated horizontal recoil can exceed it once, so even with 0.175 recoil it should have 3 kicks.
    Yep, something is clearly fishy with SVA, either it's API wrong or they have accidentally reverted the recoil changes.

Not sure which, I don't really know where API gets its numbers.

But either way, with 0.2 / 0.2 recoil SVA will have 3 kicks, just consistent, without any random.
  11. Erendil

The SVA is also supposed to have a .8 HRT (per the same link you posted), but according to the API it's still .9.

Yep, very fishy.

Me either.

Not if its HRT is also only .8 like it's supposed to be. (.8 / 2) / (.2 * .75) = 2.667, or 2 kicks maximum.

Clearly the SVA's actual HR and HRT values are things that need to be looked into.

EDIT: As a side note, it'd be REALLY nice if the SVA got the same lowered/reduced model treatment that the LSW got. The SVA model looks huge in comparison and blocks way too much of the screen..
  12. Iridar51

Not sure what are those calculations about.

Again, simple rule: accumulated horizontal recoil can exceed half of HRT once.

With minimum recoil of 0.2 and HRT of 0.8, half of HRT would be 0.4

It would take 3 kicks with 0.2 recoil to exceed half of HRT of 0.4
    • Up x 1
  13. Moridin6

bump

im just about back to the P. C too
  14. Erendil

Ignore my formula and result, they're messed up.

I was trying to use a slight variation of this equation of your's on-the-fly and got it wrong.

[IMG].

Although, wouldn't just rounding up be the same as rounding down and adding 1 like you do?
  15. Iridar51

No, it's not the same.

Because:

Round_Down(0) + 1 = 1
    while
    Round_Up(0) = 0

That's important for cases where half HRT can be divided by recoil without any residue. There's an example of that here.