Gtx 980ti crappy performance????

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UZIboy420, Jun 21, 2016.

1. UZIboy420

I have a high end rig but this game runs like trash at 1080p. Fps drops to around 30 in big battles. Is it just crappy optimization?
  2. orangejedi829

CPU?
    • Up x 1
  3. UZIboy420

Intel 5820k 6-core O/C 4.4Ghz @ 1.295V
  4. orangejedi829

That's a good CPU, so likely nothing you can do. I have the i7-4770k @4.3ghz and get drops to around 35fps in huge battles. The task of keeping track of hundreds of players at once is just too much for the netcode.
    • Up x 1
  5. UZIboy420

I remember though back in the day with my single r9 290x which is a worse performing card than the 980ti and i had no issues what so ever. Im thinking it one of those thing where they try to fix something that isnt broken and ends up breaking it in the process. Also, i dont think netcode has anything to do with overall fps.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

Last year I made a big upgrade in graphics card but there was no fps improvement. Ps2 is all about the CPU.
  7. Caramboul

Sweet spot of a 5820K is usualy 3.9 - 4.1 Ghz depending of manufacturers batch (golden sample).

Give it a try to run the game without every OC of CPU and GPU and take a view what is different. PS2 is an old game because of used grafic engine. There are a lot of games like this online and most have in common to run best at 1 core, maybe 2.

If you can force your CPU to run the game using all 6 cores included hyperthreading +6 (makes 12 cores) PS2 will run like a beast even at stock speed 3.6 Ghz with auto boost.
  8. thingymajigy

Really? Since last year I've never gotten CPU bottlenecked
  9. orangejedi829

Nah, like most games, Planetside 2 is limited by its primary thread on anything above a dual-core. You could have 40 cores and it wouldn't make a difference, because the limiting factor is still the maximum throughput of a single core.
  10. UZIboy420

i have been doing alot of research in regards to 5820k OC capabilities and people seems to hit 4.4 pretty easy. Anything over 4.4 is a crap shoot though some can get 4.8 while others cant break past 4.5. Ill try lowering though just to see what happens. I knwo some applications dont do well under OC conditions.
  11. Caramboul

Oh, ok..
  12. UZIboy420

Also, with smoothing enable the fps count shows my cpu being the bottleneck but when i disable smoothing it changes to gpu being the bottleneck.
  13. Khrin

Nah something is up with either ps2 or nvidia drivers atm.

I got a 6700k about a month ago and it was butter smooth, even in biolab zergs, through all the construction patch right up until whatever they started doing at the start these small june patches.

Now as soon as there's like 15 people on the screen or too many particles it's choppy and weird (and /fps claims gpu bottlenecking, which is a gtx970).

They have a month to sort it before I sub-quit and run away like a crying diva.
    • Up x 2
  14. Xboxer

FPS is really very much subsided, and sags on level ground. One Fix all mend, after a week all rolling back))) technical support anything intelligible can not say ....
  15. Towie

Smoothing caps the frame rate and relieves the pressure off GPU / CPU when you have cycles to spare (would be often with your setup). What refresh rate are you running at ?

Also - are you sure your CPU isn't throttling ? 4.4 is quite an OC and if the temperature rises above 70 degrees or so, it will throttle to save itself. Possibly worth resetting to default and seeing what happens then. I'm running an older 2500k at 4.3Ghz but have a monster fan just in case.

You have a high end setup and so the PS2 experience should be about as good as it gets.
  16. Lephty

Turn off your shadows, you wont be dropped below 60. Had same problem
    • Up x 1
  17. Diilicious

I noticed it happen specifically when im near VS, everything was fine and then a VS heavy dropped his shield infront of me and my game started struggling big time, sound artifacts and a huge frame rate drop which doesnt go away until i turn off the game and turn it back on
  18. Khrin

After a bit more sexperimenting it seems I can leave everything on high/ultra (or whatever, flora) but setting shadows to off or even low makes a massive improvement (even when it was running fine with them on high before).

So again it's prob a driver or optimisation issue which hopefully will sort itself in an update/patch shortly.
  19. FriendlyPS4

A month? I salute your patience.
  20. DeadlyOmen

Make sure you have GPU enabled in Nvidia settings, and re-start computer.

You should be getting high FPS, even with shadows.

I'm running a 950 STRIX with i7 2600 and getting 80-90 non-battle, 40-60 in large battles.