i use to like flying

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TiMeSpLiTIITeR, Jun 15, 2016.

1. TiMeSpLiTIITeR

I use to be able to reverse hover. It is now impossible. I don't think I'll be playing (even with the new update) for a while until they change back how it used to be. I don't know what they changed in the game. Did they put some kind of weight on the scythe? It's like my hovermode got nerfed bad. At first, I thought it was ok to nerf the guided missile. Then, they changed hovermode. The only thing that keep me playing this game is flying. I guess I'm back to BF4 flying helicopter.
  2. Sh4n4yn4y

This... this is an actual case of 'GIT GUD NUB'. We all suffered the changes, and we all adapted to them.

So...

GIT GUD SCRUB.
  3. fart11eleven

Or you are using the wrong airframe. Use hover airframe.
  4. Demigan

Isn't it ridiculous that the entire air game somehow can be made or broken by RM?

Doesn't that ring any alarm bells with anyone?
    • Up x 1
  5. UberNoob1337101

[IMG]
    How can everyone else who's experience in the air game can do it no problem, but you can't, after the update that changed nothing about it?

0/10 trollpost, you didn't even try.
    • Up x 1
  6. fart11eleven

Just to give you a little warning beforehand: posts by you containing more than 300 words won't be read me, i mean it *unpacks his word count program*

Actual answer: quake 3 also revolved around that strange thing called "bunny hopping" by some devs afterwards. Totally unintuitive and weird to learn, but it was en essential part of the game and what actually made the game so awesome.

7. DooDooBreff

bunny hopping as a tactic is the one of the stupidest things to be in PvP games ever... whether its usefull or not in a game is irrelevant... its annoying and just takes away from any immersion a game has. i was interested in shattered skies, watched a PvP video, and it seems the PvP revolves around bunny hopping. i closed the video and will not be giving it a shot
  8. Demigan

A 300 word limit, because you can't handle well-constructed posts?

Oh well (that's another few words right there!), bunny hopping: Used in Quake, half-life and natural selection, but never caught on. Especially because, again, it's unintuitive and favors only a select few.

What's wrong with making it an actual feature? Tribes did this. When they found out that skiing was becoming almost the games staple, they then put it into the core game mechanic of their next game by removing the unintuitiveness and adding keys to pull it off as well as learning it to each and every player. And that worked, because there wasn't an alternate part of the game where you wouldn't be capable of using it unless your opponent probably couldn't use it either.

But PS2? We have aircraft that can pull off an air-maneuver, which is unintuitive and although said to be a feature it's still obscure for anyone joining the game. Also infantry and ground vehicles aren't capable of similar feats, nor are other aircraft.
    It's kind of like making sure normal strafing will rarely give you an advantage, but by using some kind of bad game-mechanics you can pull off something akin to strafing that will dominate the entire gameplay for everyone else, but this is only available on one class.

Also your cry for skillful moves, or at least the cry for skillful moves from the maker of the video, can be answered especially in PS2 by going from the one-dimensional combat system of hover-fighting and RM to a multi-dimensional combat system where you have to alternate between hover-fighting, RM, VTOL maneuvers and a variety of fighter maneuvers. This is better than your bunny-hopping, since it would offer far more options for skillful movement gameplay.
    On the other hand the infantry and-vehicles-still-have-no-skillful-movement-that-can-really-counter-an-aircraft-barreling-down-on-them.-Solution?-Give-them-something-that-allows-their-movement-and/or-aim-to-be-an-effective-tool-when-aircraft-show-up.-An-example-would-be-training-an-IR-light-on-enemy-aircraft-that-blinds-them-and-their-scopes,-making-it-harder-to-fire-at-the-center-and-hit-the-target.-Or-a-weapon-that-will-reduce-their-maneuverability-if-it-hits-and-increase-the-danger-of-strafing-runs-or-hanging-around-when-you-start-taking-damage.
    There,-exactly-300-words-;).
    • Up x 2
  9. fart11eleven

Did only read until here :p
    • Up x 1
  10. fart11eleven

Eh, immersion? What is that? Isn't it where you get sucked into the monitor? I disagree, i don't want to be sucked into a monitor :d
  11. Scr1nRusher

Well considering how the RM is a bug, that SOE was scared to fixed because the most vocal pilots were threatening mass suicide(no joke) if it did get fixed.
  12. DooDooBreff

well send me a PM and we can talk about things you do want to be sucked into ;)

jk please dont
  13. Imp C Bravo

Bunny hop shown in that video is not the same bunny hop you all think of it is.

The only similarity is they are both related to jumping. But old school FPS movement mechanics were far deeper and far more difficult than the current status quo. Sometimes old players will try to bunny hop like they did in Quake days and look like idiots (hence the term bunny hopping) but make no mistake, bunny hopping as a term and a concept came after areal movement mechanics were on their way out.
  14. fart11eleven

Didn't think of that, maybe you all just don't know :) Wehn speaking of "bunny hopping" everyone could have a different feel for it, for example cs bunny hoppers ... so no clue if people actually know ... for reference i meant the quake 3 bunny hopping which was later also done in rtcw and wolfet, cause these were the games from where i know "bunny hopping" from (well actually it is called strafe jumping there). Just showed the vids cause it made nice historical references and i think the reverse maneuvre belongs in the same category of awesome movement mechanics. Breaking something so nicely done (if bug, intentional bug, or whatever) would just be unbelievably stupid.
  15. zaspacer

No K-Style GunZ in my games please. And I play Super Street Fighter II Turbo tournaments, so complexity, depth, and learning curve in gameplay are all things I can deal with and celebrate. But what I don't like is mechanics that don't make thematic sense for the games they are in, or that are so obscure or difficult that the average player cannot use them in a mass audience game: as Demigan and others posted, if you are gonna add complex game elements, then make them fit the theme of the game and map them out for average players to learn (or start learning and then progress along the learning curve on)/use in viable ways.

I do super appreciate the unintended gems that can develop in gameplay. But in a living, mass audience game, the game is best served by reconfiguring the mechanics/theme of the game's subsequent iterations/versions to integrate that stuff formally, with developed in synergy with the game and mechanics that work for mass audience consumption *if* it is a mass audience game (especially if not player segregated and/or combined arms and need average players to be able to deliver in those different roles competently). SF2 used its versions to take those unintended gems and refine them and then anchor them into gameplay, PS2 can do the same.

I'm down with all that. Great stuff.

I am not really down with that. I am not a big fan of skillful counters. I am a fan of moves that can be enhanced with skill, but that don't in them selves have some sort of minimum skill level barrier to use.
    • Up x 1
  16. Demigan

Well you could have a variety of weapons and effects. The IR light could easily be the low-skill weapon that can be activated, is useful for a short period of time and makes you hard to see for aircraft who try to directly look at you, then deactivates.
    Other weapons/abilities could then have a somewhat higher skill-floor but also a higher effect. Hitting an aircraft once with a nerfing weapon could be easy, but the effect would be minimal, hitting them repeatedly for a stacked strong effect would be tough and skillful but reward you more.
    • Up x 1
  17. thebigbortishbort

For me the RM brung an end to autistic turning fights where you and your enemy are flying in circles to each other , neither have the balls to exit this lovely ring of **** to get shot in the ******* , of course thinking now this could be changed with air frames.

But i say what if we made it so you could toggle the flight modes at your leisure instead of doing a funny sharp U-turn and afterburning after a certain (longer since updates) delay for the engines to point down yadda yadda , then it will be some what like a feature instead of a bug

2spooky4u? , or 10/10
  18. Jex =TE=

I'm fine with bunny hopping in games designed around nonsensical gameplay that aren't meant to be realistic. In games such as COD (I never play it btw) it's boring because you can't bunny hop? Sounds like another case of elitism to me where someone who practices 100 hours owns noobs all day long. In more realistic settings, everyone has a chance to have fun without requiring hours and weeks of training.

Personally, I think bunny hopping is irritating as well but then I like immersion and realism. BH in PS2 would be ridiculous to the extreme - could you imagine a big battle where everybody is bunnyhopping around and just how ******** that would look? Why stop with infantry - make the tanks BH as well.

In games like TF however, there's no realism to begin with so it's more suited to that genre and would be fun as it's in the right setting. In the video, he talks about NS2 - so let's imagine this, Aliens, the movie where instead of sneaking down the corridors on the way to the colonists they're all bouncing instead - nope, that is not immersion.
    • Up x 1
  19. TeknoBug

Before I went on my break from this game over a year ago I had no problems with flying (aside the annoying A2A) but now I dont' even bother with flying at all- flying sucks and the controls are just so weird now.
  20. Demigan

Exactly why we need a higher maneuverability option. If you had an omniversal afterburner and ended up in a lover circle, all you have to do to break it is make a tighter turn with the afterburner. Or you could afterburn upwards while your enemy still thinks you are circling and then open fire from above. or you could afterburn downwards and do the same from below. or you could instantly slow down or even move backwards so that your enemy passes you by and you can open fire on him. That's already 4 different options with this one change, and the best thing is that your opponent will be using the same. You might find you made a mistake and your opponent is now at an advantage and shooting at you. in that case you can now instantly switch combat styles and try something else to come out on top. You aren't screwed and you aren't forced to use just hover-fighting and RM to get on top, you can use a large variety and depending on your skill and knowledge they will each have a different effect.

That's one option, but it would only really help the hover-fighting and RM maneuvers. We could create a much deeper air-game that has a low and intuitive skill-floor but a high skill-ceiling to reach. IE with an omniversal afterburner and/or upgrades to the maneuverability of aircraft. hell we could even add abilities that temporarily buff some part of the aircraft. Rather than FS dominating every aircraft you could use these to get out on top.
    • Up x 1