is this good for ps2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrFlubberz, Jun 11, 2016.

1. MrFlubberz

So I resently built a computer for gaming and was wondering if someone has the same set up or close to it. How much fps do you get? Does it play fine on ultra?

Pc specs
    I5-6600k 3.75ghz
    16GB ram
    Gtx 980ti
    250GB ssd + 1TB hd

What are your opinions and if you could change something what would you change and why
  2. LoneRanger69

More then enough.

I'm running a 4ghz 5960x
    32 gig pc-3200 ddr4
    1.2tb intel PCI-E ssd (boot)
    2x Evga 980 Ti's Superclocks SLI
    27" Dell 2560x1440 144hz LCD

on ultra, I hover from a low of 60fps during huge battles
    all the way up to 120-130 fps when it's lite.
  3. customer548

I'd say you this computer would be able to take you to the half way to the Moon. So i guess it will be ok for PS2 ... Like really enough to play the game with more than decent Framerate, much details, and other stuff ...
  4. MrFlubberz

So I shouldn't have any weird performance issues unless it's server related
  5. fumz

6600k @ 4.5GHz. 16GB @ 3200MHz cl14. gtx 970. Fps capped at 122. Most of the time fps is a flatline at 125 (yeah, i know, it's locked at 122). Really big fights it dips to the 80s.

Enabling shadows (set to low) takes me from cpu bound to gpu bound. However, there doesn't really seem to be a difference as far as fps goes.... game looks better with them enabled.

Your problem is that the 980 is ridiculously strong for this game, and so you're going to need to increase settings. It's counter intuitive I know.
  6. MrFlubberz

Thanks good to know. Right now since I don't have a good cpu cooler I'm keeping my overclock to around 3.75 I don't want to overheat
  7. fumz

What are your temps and what heatsink are you using? Considering the cpu boosts to 3.9GHz stock (ok ok, 1 core) it's hard to see how going from 3.5 to 3.75 would make a difference at all?

Clock speed and single-threaded performance rule PS2. The higher you can go the better your experience will be. I haven't actually tested RAM speed yet, but I'd be curious to know whether the game takes advantage of higher bandwidth?
  8. MrFlubberz

It's brand new so I haven't really put it through its paces yet. It has a stock cooler until I order a new one I only have one game at the moment and that's dying light. I haven't put any gpu/cpu monitoring program on the computer yet because I'm in the middle of moving but as soon as I move I'll be able to give details
  9. sIcGER

it would probably be able to take him to alpha centauri, since every smartphone has a lot more computing power than what buzz and co had back then :p:D
  10. fumz

6600k doesn't come with a heatsink. You sure you got a 6600k?
  11. MrFlubberz

12. fumz

Skylake K series cpu's don't come with a heatsink. This begs the question, "what are you using?", because there is no such thing as a stock 6600k heatsink fan? Using from from another (older) cpu?
  13. MrFlubberz

Ok so my knowledge of computers are comparable to a monkey learning how to scratch his own *** but I bought the motherboard and cpu from msi and it came with this little black fan on the cpu.
  14. fumz

Gotcha. Did they overclock it for you too? Cause 3.75 is a really odd clock speed to arrive at.

You should seriously consider investing in a nice heatsink/fan. These chips run hot... not haswell hot, but they're still really hot compared to sandy bridge.
  15. MrFlubberz

Yeah it said something like automatic turboclock or something of that nature. I'm also thinking about getting the cooler master evo 212 since it's 30 bucks right now
  16. fumz

Like I said, these chips typically run hot. Some don't, but getting one that runs cool is winning the silicon lottery, which you shouldn't count on. You would be well advised to get a good heatsink. Think of it as an investment instead of just something to throw on. You'll be a much happier camper, promise.
  17. DeathbyGotcha

18. DeathbyGotcha

19. thingymajigy

Not sure if you've already got all your parts yet, but you might want to get a GTX 1070 over the 980ti