Stalker Anti-Personnel Mines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AngusPrime, Jun 27, 2015.

1. AngusPrime

Hi, I my main is on TR and I have a question. I find myself often watching videos of players doing stalker (Such as my "Idol" cutebeaver) and I see them lobbing proxies and killing groups, I've alos seen this done with bouncing betties. What I'm wondering about is claymores, are they as effective as the other two mines? I've never personally used them myself but they seem decent.
  2. Taemien

They are effective enough that some VS/NC call for nerfs to them, or buffs for their own mines.

IMO everyone's balanced.. though the TR get a nice 'gimmick' with theirs.. where VS/NC do roughly the same thing.
  3. Ceiu

TR's probably aren't as good at just lobbing into people, being directional and all, but they're downright amazing for putting in a doorway or expected path -- I've had a few clever stalkers bait me into chasing them right into a claymore.

As a slight aside: I've only ever once tanked a claymore and that was as a HA and I had just enough time to throw my shields on. Even playing LA with adrenaline pump, I've run over prox mines and only lost my shield. Seems you need to jump up and down on them to actually die to one.
  4. Takoita

Claymores are, IMHO, excellent.

They will probably get you less reliable results if you try to throw them out of a window or rush through a crowd of enemies and haphazardly drop them in the process, but that's about the only downside. You'll need to get some practice in placing them at first, but they can be surprisingly versatile after that.

Usually I stop and crouch for a brief moment before placing them - in most cases it minimizes the chance of the Claymore to bounce off and plant itself in a direction it feels better about. Choice of placement, as with all mines in this game, is decided with likely directions of enemy approach in mind. All staircases and most doorways present a good opportunity on a regular basis though.
  5. Ballto21

i quit VS just to avoid ******* claymores. theyre directional explosives, and will have the exploding side facing away from you when you drop one, so tossing them around into groups isnt as effective, but theyre certainly the best mine at setting traps
    • Up x 1
  6. FieldMarshall

Claymores are better for setting traps.
    Bouncing Betties/Proxy Mines are better for tossing into groups.
    It all comes down to the 360 damage radius.

Claymores are however the best trap mines.
    Because you can place them around corners where enemies cant see them, and they dont have a delay when exploding, making them deal full damage to whoever wants to sprint past.

Thats not to say BBs and PMs dont have their uses as traps. For example a single mine can cover both sides if placed in the middle of the two top staircases in towers.
    There are also other times when you want to place a mine behind cover that has two "entries".
    With the claymores you can only cover one side but with the other mines you can cover both.

All in all, i like claymores the best. But i do enjoy the simplicity of the other two mines.
    And there are times when i wish i had BB/PMs instead of claymores.

Honestly they should just give TR a BB/PM clone and make the Claymores NS. Either that, or come up with something unique for BB/PMs.
    Seems weird that they made mines identical for VS and NC, but gave something completely different to TR.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pelojian

NC and VS should just suck it up. if they cant get something nerfed they'll try to get it given to them. how many things does TR have that other factions want (i bet claymores are on that list) and how many are really good?

If they want claymores they have to play as TR with TR's arsenal weaknesses.
    • Up x 2
  8. Takara

You can do it if you put a little thought into what or where you are trying to do this. As a VS I often use this in Bio labs and end up with good results. I dunno why you couldn't use it as TR. But running through a door in a heavy battle dropping your claymore behind the pack then hosing them all down with your SMG before it goes off. As VS this often nets me 4+ kills and clears the doorway.

But straight dropping them from above will be somewhat more difficult as they have a 180 fire arch. They would still be useful in some area's around most Towers. So just look around for the area's most people are entering from.
  9. Takara

No bias in that post. Honestly to make such a generalization about an empire is silly. Because I've seen plenty of TR doing the same thing you just laid on NC/VS. That said if you think the TR arsenal is so weak you are pretty closed minded about your own gear and haven't actually put much time into playing the other fractions. Not to say they don't have a Max that needs attention, but the other empires have their own problem spots.
  10. Jubikus

This is certainly the case with my playstyle i prefer the claymore as a good set up will almost always land you a kill where bouncing betties and prox mines if reacted to properly can be jumped far enough away from to avoid dieng this is a balancing factor to then having a 360 degree explosion radius instead of a 180 and also why you will often see bouncing betties and prox mines thrown in pairs.

Now this doenst mean claymore is just downright better they have their drawbacks tossing them into a group of enemys will usually only kill one or 2 of them and they have less places they can reliably be set up anywhere you can place a Claymore is also a good place to put a BB or Prox however anywhere you can put a BB or Prox isnt always a good place to put a claymore the easiest example of this is the middle of the top of a stairway as a claymore easily sticks out more (granted most stairs have a nice corner turn to stick them at facing to the stairs the only time but not all some just have railings like in tech plants) the same goes for the top of hills if your a sniper unless there's a bush.
  11. Jubikus

Totally off topic did you delete you VS character my #2 most killed person and #2 most killed by person are no longer you.
  12. Pelojian

It's called asymmetrical balance each faction has ES weapons and vehicles that excel in specific ways and have weaknesses for an enemy to exploit.

Claymores are good at killing players that ether aren't cautious to look for mines or want to rush around. prox mines 360 explosion is a good mine to use on the run from somebody or hide in vegetation or place at the top of stairs.

MAX VS and NC infantry AV are good and accurate at range, TR MAX AV is good at close range and ok at medium range.
  13. Ballto21

no, paid name change
  14. Jubikus

ahh
  15. Goldmonk

I love my claymores to death. They are perfect for setting traps, defending sniper nests, and defending points inside buildings.
  16. Liewec123

most people consider claymores to be the best of the 3.

1. they're instantly triggered, no running really fast and surviving.
    (which sometimes happens with proxies and betties)

2. they're placed to the side of where you want them to cover
    (making them harder to spot in frantic battles when you're running through doorways etc.)
    you can try placing proxies and betties around corners, but thats when the problem from point 1. occurs,
    if people are sprinting then they'll be out of the danger zone before it goes off.
  17. Takara

I know...i've been in support of it since PS1. I've called for it for a long time. I've hated every change they have made that have taken more and more of the flavor of the game away. I'm confused as to why you would explain this o_O

I called you out for claiming all the NC and VS do is ask for everything nerfed....if they can't get a version of it.
  18. AngusPrime

Thanks for all your answers, I'll be picking up claymores right after I get some EMP grenades.
  19. Torvax

Im a bit of a noob, and not played with the other 2 mines, but claymores have another massive plus side. As they are directional you can place them in a relatively hot doorway/choke point... as in enemies and allies milling about.. or a few allies firing out the doorway, and any enemy who charges in is toast but all nearby allies just inside the doorway take no damage. Anyway thought id mention this as its a massive plus side to them used right.

Claymores my biggest player killer, and im not ashamed to admit it as its all part of the game, 2,500 claymore kills, with about 1,000 firearm kills. only played a few months and normally drunk so i cant compete with the twitch shooting masters who been playing for 3 years!

Nowt wrong with using a shotgun either!!)
  20. Horrida Messor

Claymores are rage inducing pain in the rear due to freaking LONGER kill zone, HIGHER damage and NON EXISTANT trigger time.
    But you can't jsut do suicide pizza delivery with them (run in-toss two mines-toss-emp-die) which sometimes is extremely fun way to play