Gorgons are completely underwhelming.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Freighter, May 1, 2016.

1. Freighter

Tried a maxed out max with dual gorgons fully kitted out. I was completely underwhelmed by how they handled, inaccurate, low damage and can only deal with infantry with some effectiveness at short-med range. I play TR and also tried this out with lockdown and I don't feel this improved my opinion at all. I feel I could get more damage much more reliably with dual fractures.
    • Up x 1
  2. Azawarau

Its not bad for infantry

Fairly awful for machines though
    • Up x 1
  3. EViLMinD

From the standpoint of an NC Max player who has arx'd all the es guns, Gorgons fill a gap.

The greatness of NC scatts comes at the cost of range and spammability. No longer can an NC whine about our arsenal. We can adapt to any fight. Gorgons are easy to use and great for most fights too. I get more kills, in certain fights, than with any scatt. Extended suppression fire is nice to be able to do. It's effective.

The weak av power is no deal breaker. I'm just happy it can do some damage. More targets means I can be shooting more often. AV kills are still quite likely. Especially if multiple teammates are shooting the same target. The Gorgons are more likely to make the hit that finishes off a burning enemy vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  4. ThreePi

Unsurprisingly, NC are using about 50% more Gorgons than VS or TR. I've liked them thus far. A sustained AI option has been a godsend.
  5. Taemien

Gorgon's aren't supposed to be special. Just not terrible at anything.

If you know what you're going to be fighting. Use a specialized weapon. If you have no clue.. use the Gorgons.
  6. Metalsheep

Gorgons are shockingly effective VS other MAX Units. You can faceroll over pretty much every other MAX. Though i havent noticed how Kinetic Armor influences their effectiveness.
  7. 1Tap2Tap

The description of Kinetic Armor (last rank) reads:

"Increases the damage resistance to anti infantry weapons from 86% to 87.5%; this includes pistols, rifles, and vehicle mounted light machine guns."

Basilisks (which Gorgons are a variant of) count as HMGs (which are AV weapons).

Therefore Kinetic Armor will not give any resistance bonus, which will be the reason it melts all MAXes alike (no bonus resistance vs AV weapons at all).
    • Up x 1
  8. Jaeger41

Anyone tried them as an AA weapon? Not expecting them to be as good as dual-Bursters, but thought they might help drive off low-flying ESFs (just like a Basilisk).
  9. Saturax

That was joke of day :D ,but seriosly 1 v 1 this weapon is not effective vs vehicles, because of weapon slow fire rate air targets fly away and will start shoot on long range (where is gorgon not effective) same for land vehicles, but they will not fly ;) just hide behinde rock or run far away.
    +slow fire rate and big magazine make from you good target on one place for long time for all LA+vehicles around you ( ofc you can zigzag, but enemy can still shoot you while you shoot on him ) its risky to use it against vehicles without engineer support.

I think its good anti-infantry/max weapon on short-mid range.
  10. Liewec123

i don't think anyone was really justified whining before,
    slug mattocks/grinders (or even unslugged mattocks for out to 30m) give us very viable ranged options :)
    but i guess having sustained fire is a nice change :D
    i still don't think i'll bother with them though, falcons, comets and especially pounders are all amazing AI+AV choices.
    VS with vortex can even add a bit of AA damage too, so they already have the jack of all trades weapons :)
  11. Diilicious

gorgon..ites?

[IMG]
  12. thebigbortishbort

i tried this before out of curiousity , since you have to lead less than with bursters they are pretty amusing for annoying the hell out of esf's and liberators , they're pretty good at the task.
  13. Lemposs

It is pretty decent in my mind, to do just about every single task in the game, just not as well as weapons that are fully purposed to do so. Hurt vehicles, but not as much as pure AV weapons. Hurt infantry, but not as much as pure AI weapons. Hurt air, but not as much as bursters.
    So pulling a Gorgon MAX, you won't be doing as much as a AI or AV or AA MAX, but neither will you come across something that you won't be able to counter to some degree.
    Also, I found them pretty good at discouraging Harassers :D
  14. BadCoding

Gorgons suck ***.

They cost a fortune of 1000 certs which is the same as any other weapon that outperformes them.
    It's like: Buy **** for the same price as actually useful gear.

That they're mediocre to bad at everything doesn't make up for their price because if you're merely acting as a warning beacon for enemies you're actually helping them to either avoid dangerous areas or to realize where they're being shot from. And then you can't really kill anyone or anything with these unless they're already wounded / damaged or it's just infantry that for some reason stays in fight with you instead of ignoring / bypassing you with your ****** weapons.

And their reload time is far too long.

The literally only reason to use these is to cert them (painfully). Good luck getting kills with something mediocre to bad at everything.

As these weapons currently are I wouldn't even use them if I got them for free. Keep that ****. I know I may cert them anytime later if I feel like sucking, performing mediocre and unable to kill most enemies but just for the cert rank but until then: **** these.
  15. Braneman

Here is what I would try with Gorgons, one AV weapon one Gorgon I think that's the best all round max suit loadout you can get. That way you aren't completely giving up AV on one arm, you have some wiggle room against infantry since you can fire more than a couple shots without having to reload and you will SHRED MAX SUITS. Also it does a lot more damage to aircraft than a normal AI weapon.
  16. nehylen

Haven't tried them outside of VR (not that i play as MAX all that much also), but i was surprised by their design orientation: they're more accurate than most VS/TR AI guns (default move+stand CoF at 2.25 compared to 2.5 as "default" value).

I was expecting something with poor CoF, higher RoF & damage tier drops, something like a Harasser/Flash Basilisks before the Basilisk accuracy patch.

I would guess they went that way (accuracy+low RoF) to avoid them outperforming Vortex/Fracture on vehicles (since accuracy isn't worth much against a MBT or sundy). That kind of thread shows that they probably hit home on that one.
  17. Ryme_Intrinseca

Haven't used them yet but they look great on paper. It has about 70% of chaingun AI capability - I'd happily give up that 30% for the drastically improved anti-max capability. The AV functionality is just the cherry on top.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that this is what max AI should look like - basically anti-max or anti-vehicle but with decent self-defence against infantry. Move Gorgons and Pounders into the AI category, remodel all current AI weapons along similar lines (less AI, more AV or AM), and we're good to go.

If people aren't happy with that they're presumably pulling maxes to farm infantry, which is a L2P issue.