The commissioner is hurting the rest of the pistols.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Apr 23, 2016.

1. DeadlyOmen

The gods of unintended consequences smile upon this thread.
  2. jmdafk

3. ColonelChingles

So... how does the muzzle energy of a .44 compare between a revolver and a carbine? Would you say it is logical that a .44 out of a revolver would do more damage than a .44 out of a longer-barreled carbine?

How do you think a .44 out of a revolver compares to 20mm?
    .44- 15.5 grams, 360 m/s = 1,000j
    20x139 mm- 120 grams, 1,100 m/s = 72,800j

If the Commissioner is working as intended, then the Basilisk needs to be about 72 times more powerful to be working as intended.
    • Up x 2
  4. asmodraxus

Still better then any of the VS pistols.

Nerf Commisioner = nerf to the VS, unless you want to buff the Beamer?
  5. Crayv

Yes.

Though the first shot recoil applies to every shot (basically no reduction of recoil for shooting more than once) and you see your character pull the trigger every time it fires.
  6. Hegeteus

Are VS pistols really so bad that no one dares to use them, or bad enough to warrant this argument each time commy is discussed?

E: Also, what happened to the Spiker buff? I heard devs put it on hold, but there hasn't been a word since unless I missed something
  7. Trudriban

8. EPIC389

A fully charged spiker shot does less damage than a single commie shot. That's how bad
  9. DownloadByte

Good aim is mandatory in order to use the Commissioner effectively. In certain situations it'll simply lose outright due to bad aim and lower RoF. Simplifying and exaggerating it down to just statistics doesn't account for a player's ability to land their shots, which is a challenge no matter how you slice it.
  10. Call-Me-Kenneth

"good aim" is useful with every gun in the game... how is that an argument for or against a particular gun is beyond me.
  11. DownloadByte

You're missing my point.

Commissioner doesn't have the luxury of getting more bullets out during an engagement, compared to other weapons. You need the high alpha damage (preferably before your opponent shoots back) otherwise you run the risk of dying to high rate of fire weapons. The poster I quoted previously never bothered to factor that in, so I brought it to light.
  12. Trudriban

I think they mean "good aim helps" in a way that's more "bad aim hurts hard". A bullet hose can kick butt in a steady hand as well as a PS4 controller. A slow firing low ammo weapon that loses a huge chunk of its DPS with a single miss, not so much
  13. Diggsano

All the Pistols are hurting the rest of the Cerberus and Spiker...
  14. EPIC389

Back when you called shot-knife combo with the commie

And people called it OP nowadays(which in some respects, it is)
  15. Cyrax Servius

Not denying that at all Chingles, the basilisk could use something in terms of damage against infantry, for the most part most of the weapons are pretty good. I absolutely am not arguing that some weapons need some looking into, just stating that the Commish given the type of weapon it is should be a one shot kill to the head, two to the chest. But this is a game and not reality so I agree on argument sake about certain things. But when you compare the Commish to other SIDEARMS, it is where it should be, a big azz pistol that kills fast. The other balance issues your guess is as good as mine.

And BTW, ANY cartridge of any weapon builds more FPS kinetic energy when fired from a longer barrel. Due to the fact that the build up of gasses behind the projectile have more restricted space to build pressure longer as the projectile travels down the barrel. The rate of twist in the rifling has a small effect on energy also. I think you would also be surprised at 20mm and 40mm ballistics when compared to rifle and pistol cartridges.

I could amaze you with ballistics and such, I reload a LOT of my own ammo for hunting and my home defense weapons. Different powders and projectiles give limitless possibilities and you can get high powered rifle performance from many magnum pistol rounds.

The fun really starts with .308 and 30-06 rounds, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54, oh boy...
  16. Cyrax Servius

I have a .500 Smith and Wesson that starts at 2580 fps, I can shoot a ten lb pumpkin and absolutely vaporize it to where you can't even see seeds left.

Lets put that in game...
  17. Diggsano

You know Plasma Pistols of VS could do the same....just with some burning^^ but Hey......... Cerberus and Spiker needs Buff
    • Up x 1