The commissioner is hurting the rest of the pistols.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Scr1nRusher

And I'll leave the floor open to discussion.
    • Up x 4
  2. _itg

The Commissioner is fine the way it is, but a lot of ES pistols need buffs. 1x/2x optics for all of them, plus reduced bloom for many would solve most of the problems.
  3. AxiomInsanity87

Commish hip fire needs buffing so i can yolo cowboy easier.

That's all i have at this time lol.
    • Up x 4
  4. The Rogue Wolf

Sometimes my Commissioner vanishes for a couple of hours, and then I get a call from Mrs. Desperado complaining that poor Timmy Mag-Shot came home with a black eye again. *sniff* Maybe if I'd joined an outfit instead of trying to be a single parent....

But yeah, a lot of the ES pistols need a lot of love. And hugs. And maybe some homemade macaroni and cheese once in a while.
  5. Armcross

What? You just set up an arena and we fill it fighting?
    • Up x 1
  6. ColonelChingles

The Commissioner most definitely needs a nerf. It hits way too hard for a sidearm.

The .44 (~11mm) Commissioner does 450 damage per shot.
    The 20mm Basilisk does 250 damage per shot.
    The 30mm Walker does 130 damage per shot.
    The 40mm Skyguard does 200 damage per shot.

In other words you have this:
    [IMG]
    Doing more damage than these:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Which is just plain crazy. I mean a single 40mm shell is probably larger than that entire .44 revolver!

Instead, damage should be tuned as follows (keeping the .357 revolver as baseline):

[IMG]

20mm Basilisks- ~6,800 damage
    30mm Walkers- ~58,000 damage
    40mm Skyguards- ~210,000 damage
    • Up x 7
  7. Crayv

Because it's a perfect finisher, you can meet it's max RoF without furiously clicking (which would throw off your aim), and basically a primary with a 2 kill potential mag capacity.

Other pistols need to be brought up to the same level. Semi-autos in this game also need an option so you don't need to use auto-fire macros. Yes making them basically automatics but unlike true automatic weapons the FSR applies to every shot plus you see your character pulling the trigger every time.

In TF2 the pistol used to require you to click for each shot but people who bound the fire button to their mouse wheels (spin the wheel to fire) had a massive advantage over those who didn't.
  8. BurntMyWater

I'm curious. Does that mean that you just have to hold down the mouse button and the pistol will keep firing at its max ROF?
  9. Campagne

In my opinion, most of the ES pistols in the game are fine as is. Some, like the Magscatter, aren't really great, but are at this point good enough. If I were to make any changes, I'd improve some of the iron sights to be more clear and visible.

As for the Commissioner, while it certainly is an excellent sidearm I feel some players give it too much credit. There are some scenarios in which I'd gladly take an ES pistol over a Commie any day of the week, hands down. For general use however, I'd say the Commie is probably the best option.

I don't want the Commie to be nerfed, but I wouldn't really complain if it had its RoF reduced a bit, to make it more of an accuracy-demanding heavy hitter, and to slightly raise its TTK.

Shush. Aruaxis is no place for logic or realism. :p
  10. OldMaster80

Imho the last round of ES sidearms buffs made things better. The Commissioner is still maybe a little too good.
  11. Trudriban

I feel like this argument on firearm realism is made in every thread about the commissioner, and it's constantly the solemn duty of many others as well as myself to remind us all that this is in fact a videogame. It may be a sidearm but it's still built to be a slow-firing powerhouse. Giving it less damage than a bullet hoze with a longer barrel, requiring the entire magazine of headshots to kill a single person, would make it the single worst weapon in the game. A joke weapon. The fireworks cannons would be better

That said, I do agree something needs to change about pistols. I don't necessarily think it's a Commissioner nerf, but maybe a buff to all the other sidearms to bring them on the same level
    • Up x 2
  12. EPIC389

Buff Repeater

Yay ;)
  13. Eternaloptimist

Two quick bursts from a desperado, repeater, inquisitor or spiker do more damage and their rate of fire is better. These are what I use because I'm not accurate enough to hit consistently with a slow firing revolver. I get up close and spam the ES pistol trigger instead. I like the ability to fit a suppressor on ES pistols as well. This is when I play stalker.

I use the emissary as my back up on other classes - same reason, lots of smaller bullets works better than one or two big bullets for me although tbh I only tend to revert to sidearm when I am running shotty and bad guys aren't close enough.
  14. Eternaloptimist

aaaaaand..............I've heard a lot fewer commissioners going off since the hit box cheat was fixed. Or is that just me being a conspiracy theorist?
  15. UberNoob1337101

I think that the Commissioner is OP due to it's perfect combination of accuracy which is always the same even with the highest RoF, good TTK which is the same regardless of Nanoweave and zero skill required to reach it's insane potential, and it's an auto win against infiltrators.

If you want to use an ES pistol, you have to let your gun settle down so you don't miss a ton or get close, you have to deal with Nanoweave users and you have to aim for the head in order to compensate for missed shots. Still, it can compete with primaries if used right and you'll usually win if you land a good amount of shots and you fire first.

Commissioner has to deal with nothing, you just pull it out, shoot and win. It's already super accurate with it's hipfire, nanoweave isn't a problem and it has the best ADS accuracy of all pistols.

They should make the Commie harder to use or even make it ADS only to keep it in line with ES sidearms (which are fine, they are bloody sidearms, not primaries, the last thing I'd want to see is stalkers with primaries and snipers with pocket SMGs), also ES pistols should get 1x/2x sights, would make them much more useful for ADS use.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hegeteus

Maybe commissioner should get a slight nerf, but I've usually had no problems against people who use it. I'm happy with the sidearm choice I made and I'm honored to be the player who dethroned this boring a$$ weapon from it's sidearm kill record.
    May sound like boasting, but my point is that it doesn't really hurt other sidearms as long as you focus on your own skill and improvement
  17. Azawarau

If it had less accuracy and 1 less bullet itd be ok

Maybe a lower max damage range as well
  18. Cyrax Servius

I own and shoot MANY weapons in real life side and think the Commish is fine, and here is my reasoning. The commish is a representation of one of the biggest large caliber magnum rounds which is also used in many carbine rifles, for a good reason.

Commish- 44magnum Remington standard loads. 960 fps of pressure at the muzzle, will knock a cow off it's feet.
    Mag Shot- 45 acp Remington standard loads. 380 fps at the muzzle, won't knock over a cow but a human, yes.

The difference in kinetic energy is astronomical between cartridges even though they are very similar in diameter, magnum cartridges are just that, "magnum", two to three times the powder than standard pistol rounds.

44 magnum at ten yards will turn a cinder block to dust with one hollow point round.
    45 acp at ten yards will break it into a few pieces.

Now the differences stand clear, the magnum is going to kill very easily, as will the acp, but, the magnum has MUCH more recoil and requires full target acquisition after every shot. Only holding six rounds makes shot placement critical.

The acp 45 with much less recoil makes multiple shots on target possible along with 11 round capacity, "my Smith and Wesson holds ten in the magazine and one in the chamber" Less knockdown power per round but almost twice the ammo.

This is just a very meager explanation of two large pistols to not bore you. Now take some of the other guns in the game and compare them to .357 magnum, .380 S+W, .40 cal, 9mm Luger.

Depending on the barrel I put on my 44 Desert Eagle, I can put six shots into a three inch circle at 50 yards, so i'll debunk the range argument also.

The commish is working as intended...
    • Up x 2
  19. Trudriban

Not to be that guy, but this sorta sounds like you haven't used a commissioner yourself. It does have good hipfire but nearly every other sidearm has a tighter crosshair. ADS accuracy I will agree is amazing, but that thing kicks like a mule and re-aiming each shot can be enough of a hassle to get me turned into swiss cheese by a repeater.

I will agree on sights for ES pistol though. I actually adore my Rebel but I can't aim at anything when I'm cloaked without my commie's red dot
    • Up x 1
  20. Campagne

Actually...
    • Infiltrators can equip nanoweave armour to increase their shots to kill from two to three, within the weapon's maximum damage range
    • Infiltrators can only be killed in one shot with a headshot out to about 10m
    • The Commissioner has a higher vertical recoil than most ES sidearms
    • Any ES sidearm is easily capable of competing with many primaries, especially if one were to "land a amount of shots and fire first"
    • The default ES pistols, (Beamer, Magshot, Repeater) have higher hipfire accuracy
    • The Blackhand has the highest ADS accuracy, while the Commissioner is tied with the Blackhand for the highest bloom per shot, of all sidearms
    • The Commissioner does require a good amount of aim to be successful, as if has a low RoF, requires half its mag to kill a standard target, and has a long reload time if one were to fail to kill their opponent with the six shots provided (HA shield says 'hello')
    This is why I say that the Commissioner gets to high praise. It really isn't the demigod of sidearms some players make it out to be. :cool: