ESF question

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatSK, Mar 27, 2016.

1. MatSK

so im new to ESF combat and all around that, but i spent some days training and actually got better, i posted even here on forum for some tips, lot of players told me to ask for tips from better pilots, si i followed advice and sometimes when i go totally wrecked asked pilot for some tip

but even just when i started i considered scyth most OP broken ******** in this game since i saw it for couple of times [this was my opinion when i just arrived to game and i didnt know much about it] but i only thought i need to get better

but recently even pilots that took me out in scyths themself said that it is OP and mossy has no chance aginst it going 1 v 1 if scyth pilot is not much worse than mossy pilot

even though my dislike to energetic weapons i hopped into scyth for some testflight to see it for myself....
    well i kinda ***** nearly every mosquito that went into my way only got took out by really good pilots or 3-2 v 1

and im ESF noob i only know some basics and can take only on average pilots

so i checked stats of weapons it uses, better reload speeds, better velocity, better demage, better firerate....
    ok i see that if scyth was somehow inferior to other 2 ESF when it comes to dogfight, i would be ok with it having this much OP weapons, but it is overperforming both of them, with its inase ability to hover, and dodge

so i want to ask if this is somehow ok in means of fighting, or if pilots complain about this or they just got used to it or how it works, im new to this combat, so dont go yelling at me about being a noob, and that it is ok, i know im not much of an good pilot but scyth is just OP
  2. Badname707

This is a controversial opinion, but in a 1v1 dogfight, the scythe is OP. The ESF's would be more or less balanced, except the scythe has an incredibly thin profile. That's not to say it's 100% better, as there are issues unique to scythes that can get you killed (pancaking, can't land on slopes, somewhat more difficult to reverse maneuver). This advantage is also largely negated in multi-aircraft fights and doesn't usually apply to ground based weaponry. But yes, scythes have a clear advantage in hover fights.
  3. Jawarisin

Scythe's OP for a few reasons yes.

But honestly, a decent pilot will win every time anyways. It won't make a huge difference till later on.
    • Up x 1
  4. Runegrace

In 1v1 hover duels, the Scythe wins. Not every fight is a 1v1 hover duel, though.

The Scythe is much easier to hit for your ground forces, and is also the slowest. This means it's easier to hit with AA, and will stay in range of AA for longer. There's a bunch of intangibles for ESF balance, and part of the fun of flying is leveraging your strengths while exploiting your enemy's weaknesses.
  5. MatSK

im ok with it having better profile for head ons or its ability to hover, but what i cant get through is that OP weaponry it posses, rly is literally looks at you and half of your health disapeares...
  6. Badname707

The weapons are pretty much all the same. The scythe, if I recall correctly, has more accurate noseguns, but have lower ROF/DPS than the mossy and the reaver.
  7. chuck105

The scythe is probably the best ESF for 1v1 with a competent pilot, as like you say, it has the slimmest profile. However, it is slower than either the Reaver using afterburners or the Mosquito in cruise. It does have the largest area from above or below, which makes it very easy to spot, and very vulnerable at close range. In a scythe in 1v1, I will win if I keep my distance and try to stay slightly above my target, taking advantage of statistics. Don't try to hover battle against a scythe on even terms, outrun them, and try to catch them by surprise or get behind them. Scythe's are vulnerable while turning, it's quite difficult to turn the tide when out positioned.
  8. TheRealNattyIcePS4

Are you a battlefield pilot? Or warthunder? You used the term head ons, just wondering?
  9. MatSK

i played battlefield for some time long ago but i play mostly IL2 battle of stalingrad and from time to time sim warthunder
    so i use some terms from there and ti took me some time to actually wapr my head around the fact how ESF works here

well and from what found, i you see guy with fancy coloured scyth..its better to leave them alone, they will **** you most of the times even if you suprise him, since he only have to only look at me than i have hard time landing a shot and he just vaporize me in seconds

from my opinion it guns should be nerfed considering how well it performes in fights, its like giving boost drugs to already fastest horse, only annoys the hell out out poeple who dont play 24/7 to cempete with those pilots who have more hours in scyth than i in all of my games....
  10. Badname707

If the guns got nerfed, they'd now have a big penalty against skilled pilots that came aim well. I don't really know how to fix the scythe either, but I'd rather it be somewhat OP on average than to lower its skill ceiling.