Russian come back !

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Niksar, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Niksar

When the launcher will be the Russian language?
  2. KirthGersen

Maybe it's time to start learning English comrade? The year is 2016 actually.
    Я серьезно.
    • Up x 1
  3. TorakkIT

well i think the game is translated in the "classic other 4" pal languages (ITA- ESP- FR- GRMN) plus english probably they don't see enough Russian players to invest in some translators /programmers , the italian client is still full of translation mistakes, most recent voice packs aren't even dubbed so some people "speak" in italian other english. I don't think we are going going to see more adaptation works for this game.

I always hope people that suggest to learn english are at least bilingual speakers, meanwhile i think is nice tip/suggestion and know more languages is fundamental in today world, it comes 90% of times from people that speak only a language
  4. Abraham with Cheese

They don't have it in Russian because too many of the script-kiddies are from Russia, or you can buy those scripts from Russian websites.

Actually, I have no idea why. Does Russia have a significant gaming culture?
  5. Kristan

So... russian launcher huh? You sure will miss "play" button if it's not translated to russian, do ya?
  6. Aorich

Russian language was in launcher (But it's doesn't work, only image of flag) after starting Innova server it's disappear. And I think more important is return of cyrillic alphabet, it's make easy way to communicate with each other.
  7. Niksar

Сам ты промахнёшься мимо кнопки "Пуск" ,если тебе на японском заделают всё. А теперь иди в Гугл Переводчик;)
    მოვა დრო და ქართულადაც იქნება .დავიღალე ამ დამპალი ინგლისურის თარგმნით:D
  8. KirthGersen

Well I'd actally like to see a Russian version of PS2 but ONLY if it will have this terrible localization what closing Russian client has.
    So here we go.
    Harasser is called KARATEL -> Punisher
    Prowler is called KHISCHNIK -> Predator
    SKAT -> Stingray stands for Magrider
    Infil is a DIVERSANT -> Saboteur
    And this is only the beginng... Stopping writing this to stop laughing. Best. Translation. Ever. LOL. Сука блядь, угу.
  9. Iridar51

Actually, the game is already translated to Russian, and it's pretty well done. The OP is talking about the fact that Russian server was disabled recently.
  10. KirthGersen

Man please check the post above. It's done that badly so I even like it.
    Reminds me of "Russian" voices in CoD MW (the very first) which made me laugh a lot too.

P.S. Howling Pass have been transfomed to REVUSCHAYA GRYADA -> translates back as Roaring Ridge:D
  11. Iridar51

I've played the russian version for a while, and I liked it. Who cares if the names are a bit weird. Do they even matter? Quality of translation is in voices and overall theme. Even translated to Russian, it was still PlanetSide.

Have you ever done any translation yourself? It's not easy, you know. And I'd rather they made a literature translation(saving meaning) than literal translation (saving words). Revushaya Gryada sure sounds better than literal translation to Voyushiy Prohod or Voyushiy Pereval.

And again, names don't matter, as long as they sound good and keep to the theme.
  12. KirthGersen

Well as a Russian native speaker I'm telling you that Innova's translation sounds weird if not stupid to my ears.
    Also they actually killed some meanings (such as Harasser) in the name of "cool-sounding" words but nevermind.
    As a sci-fi reader I'm a bit fan of quality translation and what Innova did to PS2 is just a poor work nothing more. Soviet translations of sc-fi classics as example had some "literatural" chages but they mostly are solid if not a masterpiece. Current days translations mostly suck. Thats all.
  13. Mefi

I'd like to hear a good translation in russian for Magrider, Lancer, Lasher, Skyguard, etc. These words would sound awful, at best you could try to write these names with russian letters and call it a day.
  14. KirthGersen

Exactly. So why just don't keep it original if any other option sounds stupid and/or also changes the meaning?
    I'd undertood if Innova did complete rework on all names with some system in it but they didn't translate a lot of names too. Some names stayed pretty close to original meaning, other didn't. This is why all these SKAT, KARATEL and IZLOM sound weird. There is no system, faction naming style which exist (slightly) in original version. Nothing unusual honestly.
    Let's look on the other games/ M1 Abrams sounds OK, right? Nobody translates this name to Hebrew then finding it's etymology and THEN trying to put it in Russian in CoD as example.
    Meanwhile some copyrighted but easy translatable names such as Fallen (Transformers) stay untouched. Batman, as another example, is impossible to translate into something good sounding.
    This all is not black or white but again Innova's PS2 sounds weird to all native speakers I asked about. The best it does is making people laugh.
  15. Iridar51

Wow you guys sure are ungrateful. Don't forget what you're dealing with. PS2 is a niche, small population online shooter with barely a playerbase, made by second tier gaming studios. As much as I respect PS2 devs, they don't compare to Bioware or Blizzard.

And yet it has a fully voiced translation done by professional voice actors. Some elements of the translation are questionable, but for what PS2 is - it's an excellent translation that does its job 100% - makes the game fully accessible to people who don't speak english.

And there aren't any glaring mistakes like "enemy at 2 o'clock!" -> "противник на два часа дня" -> "enemy at 2 PM" that were in CoD or BF, don't remember which.

Compare this to a HUGE pile of money that went into something like SW: ToR, and it doesn't have even subtitles in Russian.
  16. KirthGersen

I would be more grateful if original weapon and vehicle names (and some work and money) had been saved instead of inventing something weird. Just that. Localized interface is obviously a good thing but I barey believe that when you call TR-1 Repeater a SENSEI it makes it any better to use.

I have also seen some videos from Chinese server and for some reason Prowler has been called... a Prowler. Not a 徘徊者 (Páihuái zhě - as google translates it) or anything. The other part of voice callout was localized IIRC. Or maybe not? Anyway it feels right to me.
  17. Iridar51

Doesn't make it worse to use. If you didn't have prior knowledge of Repeater being called Repeater, it wouldn't bother you at all. You would've attributed the use of japanese word as a testament to long standing traditions of Terran Republic, and that this fearsome burst pistol (sensei = teacher) teaches obedience to those who would dare oppose the order.

You heard Repeater first, and now any other name seems wrong. Imprinting in a nutshell.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, and that they could just directly translate the name to "Повторитель", but it doesn't make the translation bad or laughable. They still did an outstanding job, especially considering what kind of game PS2 is.
  18. Iridar51

Normally I don't play localized games at all, exactly because I don't want to deal with bad voice acting, imprecise or wrong translation. But PS2 isn't the kind of game where imprecision matters, there aren't any plain wrong translations and voice acting is completely satisfactory.
  19. askull

Ревущая гряда? Wat? This translation in Innova's launcher?
  20. trelchik

The Russian servers in 4game is going to close in 12 april.
    Can you make here the russian localisaton and russian donate?
    Now translation:
    Русские сервера Planetside 2 на 4game закрываются 12 апреля.
    Можете ли Вы сделать тут русскую локализацию с поддержкой русского доната?