Can I run planetside 2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by athiest4life, Mar 19, 2016.

1. athiest4life

I've been playing on PS4 for a while. Recently got a new PC and was thinking about giving PS2 a try. It's a dell inspiron 3847 with 8 gb ram, I5-4460 3.2ghz (3.4 max) processor running windows 10,64 bit. Was considering installing a new PSU and an Asus Strix Geforce GTX 960 4GB 128 bit graphics card. The 970 is a little steep and PS2 would really be the only game i'd play on the pc anyways and don't really think it's worth the cost just for one game. What kind of frame rates could I expect to see on average?
  2. Gundem

While your CPU clock is a bit low, I'm sure you could run the game fine on medium graphics.

As to your indecision on a GPU upgrade, we need to know your current GPU. You really don't need a super GPU to run PS2, but someday you will grow out of PS2 and then you will be hurting if you build a PC based on PS2 alone.

As an example of what GPU's can run PS2, I had a GTX 660 for years that ran the game on near Ultra with consistent 60 fps.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pelojian

It's always a good idea if you can afford it to upgrade above the performance you require for a specific game or games, so when newer games come out you don't have to waste more money upgrading them.

I'm running PS2 right now with a GTX760 with FPS around 55-60 with most settings optimized with geforce experience and some settings tuned down (flora, effects) for gameplay reasons not performance ones.
  4. athiest4life

As of right now it only has integrated graphics so anything would be an upgrade. what would medium graphics be compared to PS4 graphics? I'm not looking for a high end GPU but I don't wan't a low one either. I'm fine with a mid- grade GPU as I mainly play games on PS4. Was just curious if adding GPU/PSU would be worth the investment in this case. thanks for replying
  5. athiest4life

After being told my CPU is a little slow I wouldn't want to bottleneck a decent GPU with it.
  6. Pelojian

your CPU isn't that bad i don't think if it's a quad core, not the best but not the worst ether. you can optimize anyway. it really depends on what you want do you want games with high quality and performance, balanced quality and good performance, balanced quality and performance?

sure you may get bottlenecked if the quality is set too high but you can fine tune it so there isn't a bottleneck in normal play.
  7. athiest4life

But if the fine tuning doesn't equate to much of a gain over the PS4 then I don't want to dump $300 on upgrades if it's not really going to be a whole lot better . Basically, I don't game on PC but was considering upgrading my PC to play PS2 on it if it was going to be a major improvement. But I didn't buy my PC with the thought of gaming on it so it's my own fault.
  8. Pelojian

eh my computer started out life as a non-gaming rig and i've upgraded it myself and it does well in PS2.

i'd suggest looking up the system specs of PS4 and finding a comparison to your own machine with the intended upgrade also worth noting that you should make sure that your current power supply can support the new card you want.
  9. Gundem

Well, assuming you can even install a discrete GPU, I think a 660 would be perfect for you. And it's pretty cheap, used/open box ones pop up on Ebay for around 100$ every once in a while.

Now, I'm really glad you posted this. Because there is something you MUST be aware of: PS4 and PC are NOT EQUAL.

The PC experience of PS2 can be absolutely brutal.

The PS4 PS2 is a cakewalk compared to the PC version. I really don't mean to belittle consoles, but the fact is, most PC players have 2+ years of experience, as we've weeded out most of the casuals here anyway.

On the PC, a player can turn 180 degrees in a quarter second, significantly reducing the strength of flanking. PC players can easily look around, and tend to have far greater situational awareness.

The mouse and keyboard are vastly more precise then a controller, and some players are so skilled that they can chain 100% headshot kills at 30+ meters. This will seem like instant death on your client.

M&K also allows for vastly improved reaction time. Peeking around cover is hardly half as effective on PC as it is on console, as being predictable in your movement will allow a PC player to pre-aim at your head and gib you the second you are out of cover.

PC players, being significantly longer playing, tend to have a lot more unlocked. Vehicles generally get demolished en-mass by Infantry here on PC.

And finally, PC has a way larger population, so at prime-time, you might have 150v150 players at a single base. It can be VERY overwhelming.

I tell you this not to dissuade you, but to warn you. PS2 on the PC can be very fun, but you must be up to the challenge. I don't want you to shell out your money for a game experience far different then you expected.

Trust me, playing on PC won't just be a graphics increase. If you can handle it, I'd say it's worth it. But it will be very difficult, and you will get your *** royally handed to you when you first start. Manage to stick through it, and you might just learn to love the pain ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. athiest4life

A new PSU was definetly on the list.
  11. athiest4life

Oh yes.I"ve watched many video's of pc play and I'm well aware of the differences of the two platforms and of the thrashing I would get. That's part of the reason I was thinking about making the upgrades. Just don't want to shell out a bunch of money to do it only to have a gameplay experience that isn't much better from a hardware standpoint. I don't expect to run ultra settings but i'd like to be able to run graphics/frame rates better than the ps4.
  12. orangejedi829

While being able to use a mouse/keyboard does make a huge difference, don't expect too much better of a graphics/framerate experience on PC. Graphics on PS4 are almost indistinguishable from Ultra on PC, and PS4 has good framerates. Even with an i7-4770K clocked at 4.2ghz and watercooled, I still drop down to 20-30fps in huge fights, which I don't think is much better than PS4 (from my limited time playing the game on PS4). With that i5, you can expect some significant slowdowns in large battles.
    That being said, if you get the 960, you definitely will be able to play this game on Ultra graphics (though, again, it doesn't look that much better than the PS4 version unless you plan on running at resolutions beyond 1080p.)
    Just some things to consider if you're deciding whether or not it's worth it to spend several Benjamins on a PC upgrade for mouse & keyboard play and possibly marginally better graphical performance.
    Not that we wouldn't love to have you over on the PC Master Race side! ;)
  13. Gundem

Something is up with your setup then, because my CPU runs 3.8Gh'z turbo and I don't ever drop below 50fps, even in massive 96+v96+ fights.

You might want to check your voltages, because something is up with that.

Actually, do you have Shadows turned up? Those are a big hitter when it comes to performance. I suppose if your FPS only drops in the most massive of fights it's not a huge issue, but it's something worth considering.

And since this is also relevant to OP, Shadows. If you go to PC, there are a few settings you need to be aware of. Textures and Shadows, specifically.

Shadows need to be turned as low as possible, completely off is optimal. They are a massive CPU-based burden and can free up a lot of FPS, but they do make the game look pretty nice.

Second, Textures. They need to be as high as possible. For some reason, people report FPS gain when Textures are on Ultra rather then Low. We assume it's because the PS2 engine renders them in Ultra first, and then has to render then again for the lower quality for whatever bass-akwards reason they designed it like that.

A few more tips, for helping you aim better(Or at least getting you into better habits).

While PS4 has aimassist, PC has mouse smoothing, or sometimes called "Mouse Acceleration". This NEEDS to be shut off.

Smoothing is basically Windows changing the distance your cursor moves based on the speed your mouse moved, so a 2 inch movement doesn't always exactly correlate to whatever your DPI is set at. This makes it a ***** to learn consistent aiming, for obvious reasons, and turning it off takes several steps.

First, Windows built in smoothing. For Windows 7, you can go to Mouse Properties-Pointer Options, and then make sure the setting "Enhance Pointer Precision" is un-checked. Then make sure the Pointer speed bar is in the exact middle, and your good to go.

Next, there are three settings in PS2 you need to change, all located in the General tab of the settings page.

First, disable Mouse Acceleration. Second and third, enable both Reduce Input Lag and Use Raw Mouse Input.

This will ensure your aim is your aim, not Windows aim.
  14. athiest4life

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind if i make the switch.
  15. athiest4life

yeah the ps4 framerate's drop well below 30, i'd venture to say into the teens during large battles. not to mention the horrible people/vehicle pop-in.
  16. Reclaimer77

Please ignore Gundem. He can be extremely condescending and annoying. Frankly he's a narcissist, best to ignore. All you asked was if your rig could run PS2, and he just assumed you have zero PC FPS experience and needs a big long winded speech about how much you suck and need to prepare for this game. Ugh!

If I was a new player reading that crap, I might not even want to try this game. We've "weeded out the casuals"? Please ignore that nonsense. We have plenty of casuals who are enjoying this game, and there's nothing wrong with it.
  17. athiest4life

But he is right from a gameplay perspective. I just watched some gameplay videos on youtube with the setup i was asking about and it definetly is worth looking into.
  18. Gundem

Please ignore Reclaimer77, he's easily one of the most neurotic, biased, unbelievably capable of disregarding logic or reason-persons on these entire forums. Honestly I could say more, but I'll refrain, unlike Reclaimer, who's taken the opportunity to attack me for no good reason on a post that doesn't need it or warrant it.

Seriously Reclaimer? For how much you bash Console players on a daily basis, I'd assume you'd agree with the sentiment that PC is much more difficult, since you seem to believe that inherently console players are both less skilled and less intelligent.

Trust me OP, "Casual" is not a word used to describe PS2. I'd call a pub server on TF2 casual. I'd call an arcade match on War Thunder casual. I'd call hopping onto a game of BF4 or CoD and pwning newbs casual.

PS2 is not Casual. Even our "Casuals" are better then most FPS players. This game just does not allow for casual play. There are far too many factors that range from zerging to spawn systems that force players to actually think when they play, otherwise they will get farmed to oblivion and ragequit. Which is how we weed out the actually casual players.

True, there are less intense/serious players. But often they just play different aspects of the game, and even they aren't safe from things like random gank squads from across the entire continent or flanking tankers. Anywhere you go, anything you do, so long as you leave the Warpgate you are vulnerable to getting destroyed without mercy and it WILL happen.

So anyway, I guess I'm sorry? Hardly my fault we got so off-topic, but honestly since your questions regarding your PC performance were answered, I saw no reason to help out with some other pressing matters that could significantly effect your game experience.

It'd be like trying out the free demo for a game, loving it, and then purchasing it, only to find it was filled with hardmode cheat bots that can't be removed. Which is what it will feel like compared to console.

Anyway, if you have any more questions, I'd love to answer them, just hit me up with a PM. I can pretty much answer any question you have as long as you aren't playing NC.
  19. Reclaimer77

I agree with a lot of what you said. But nobody ASKED for you to say all that. He just wants to know if his rig can run PS2. Where did he ask you for a gaming tutorial or any other advice?

We're bleeding players and you're practically convincing him not to even bother....
  20. Gundem

Well, ya got me there. I've never been one for selling stuff.

But as for the advice, it's not like he specifically said "not" to say anything. And nothing there can hurt him, or the chance of retaining him. Hell, some people might have quit because the mouse settings are such garbage.

Hell, why does Windows even force that stupid-*** "enhanced(as if)" pointer precision on us? Even if you disable that tab, Windows has some acceleration built into it's registry that you can't even turn off without running some batch files that actually alter the registry.