[Video] Construction System Thoughts - New Meta?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Razeroth, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Razeroth

New meta, gimmick?

Seems to be a slightly divided opinion :)
    • Up x 4
  2. Abraham with Cheese

I look forward to it and the possibilities it will bring. To everyone who just instantly says it's bad, without any real evidence backing that up... what new, completely unheard-of content would you then put in?

New vehicles? The rage of the harasser lit up the forum for a long time. Besides, new vehicles would run out quickly with the overlap or roles in the game.

New weapons? All we get are NS and no ES weapons because so many complain of OP or UP or mis-balanced. That, and there are only so many weapons that can be made before everything is just a carbon copy of another.

New continents? They'll come out in, what, three years apiece? Also, we got Hossin, and how so many people hate it (for both valid and invalid reasons), after all the wait for it.

Seriously, can't we just be happy we can do something other than shoot or get shot all the time? This is a MMOFPS, but people seem to forget the MMO portion of that.
    • Up x 1
  3. Savadrin

Just watch out for the engineers trying to mine enemy sundies! :eek:

:D
    • Up x 2
  4. AlexR

This is going to be the stupidest update ever. This will ruin the game. This will end it, the fun will be completely removed from the game. I hate this whole idea so much, i can't even tell how strong is the hate from 1 to 10. 12? It is sometimes a problem already with a well positioned sundies and tonns of any kind attackers coming from there. How the hell is it a smart idea to create WALLS around , SHIELDS (even AIR SHIELDS OH MY GOD) and TURRETS! Watch this video just from 4:55. Yeah... YYYEAH, AHA.

I cant imagine how it will be possible to have normal tank gameplay on Indar or Hossin. It is already mostly unplayable territory (with terrain+weird physics combo even worse) i want to delete the game when i'm only thinking about these freaking walls and obstacles created everywhere. So what will we get? No tanks areas. No air areas. Just a bunch of platoons coming and coming from their newly created heavy armored outpost pissing off everyone near this hex. Hell no!

Please someone explain how this is even possible to be a good idea? What is the point of that? I tried, really, but i can't get it! It's just becomes a huge nightmare when i'm trying to imagine what an organised zerg-platoon can do with that system. Zerg is what killing the gameplay already, why would someone encourage that even more?
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

i don't like the idea, this is a FPS game, not a sandbox simulator,
    adding player bases and AI turrets etc completely changes the game into something entirely different.

i started playing PS2 several years ago because i wanted to play a shooter,
    if i wanted to play a base building sandbox i'd have started playing one of those survival games and poured thousands of pounds into that instead!
  6. Pikachu

+1 for mentioning the ANT looks like a stag beetle.
    • Up x 2
  7. Savadrin

I think it's fantastic.
    • Up x 4
  8. haldolium

Overhyped much?

I had to quit 2 minutes in because you're really a bit too much on the happy-side here. No content patch ever will make PS2 what it should be, that game simply has and ever will have to many major technological and game design problems.

No content patch will ever change that. And I don't really see this one being a "savior" or whatever. It might be fun, or total trash. Either way, I personally don't need it.

/although thanks for some up-to-date visual impressions! It does look better at least as some months ago.
  9. Haquim

I really doubt its gonna be as bad as you depict it.
    If nothing else, to create an anti-tank area that base must be in the open - and that would just lead to AV manas and tanks having their fun picking it apart, since buildings rarely evade, but after 500m hitting a moving tank can prove a challenge.
    So, maybe no-flying areas, but I doubt a serious tank zerg could be stopped by that.
    And most people seem to have an irrational hatred of aircraft and halluzinations about AA bb guns anyway, so I doubt a lot of people will care about that.
  10. UberNoob1337101

Kind of glad they're trying something significant and being ambitious, but I'm kind of skeptical about this.

I imagined the create-able bases to be a bit more like place-able defensive positions that are used for fending off zergs until reinforcements arrive (Basically a WW1 simulator where you dig trenches and prepare for the inevitable), but it looks like you create a full blown base, which is a problem in my eyes because of the possibilities. I mean, winning alerts trough creating victory points yourself? Isn't that kind of really broken and discourages fighting? Or spammable base turrets, which can wreck zergs no problem and eliminate the whole thing about numbers in a fight being important? Or that AA bubble shield, which diminishes the entire purpose of aircraft?

Honestly, I wouldn't like to see this be too influential, but still having it's place. While yes, it's the most tactical FPS out there and should certainly stay that way, but this is pushing it.

I agree with your opinion on this, it should be a force multiplier and an additional defensive layer, not a custom base simulator. And from the positive side, we might see tanks getting a role of smashing down bases and being something more than farm machines.
  11. Savadrin

[IMG]

I'm just sayin
    • Up x 2
  12. omegaskorpion

I think this update could bring new life to the game. Im exited to see how this goes, as i want to build and destroy bases and no building game has yet brought me that.

When it comes to the the continents, i think devs should remove a lot of the smaller bases from the all continents, to create areas with base building possibilities AND finaly removing all that pointless small base capturing.

The air shields, should in my oppinion work just like the sunderer shields, so that air players can shoot the shield down and possible the shield generator before it recharges. Since this is combined arms game, air and land should be balanced against eachother and work in synergy, unfortunately that is not the case just yet.
    • Up x 3
  13. FateJH

Project Reality and Squad allow construction around FOBs. ARMA II has a mod for real-time entity placement construction long before that. Both of them still qualify as FPS games.

(Even if you were to make the claim that the aforementioned games were "round-based" or "scenario-based" that does not infringe on the functionality of their construction system and its lack of negative impact on its FPS status.)
    There is no reason that you have to engage in the construction aspect of it at all, if you don't want to. You may have to engage the construction aspect of other players but you may never have to lay a brick yourself if you don't want to.

I have no clue what you're saying. What are you saying? :confused:

I remain cautious about the implementation of the system's entity placement rules. That will make or break the deal long before poorly-designed assets.
    • Up x 1
  14. Liewec123

but its still a sandbox game, even if i myself don't build a thing, you'll have auto turrets all over the place, and players playing house on every hilltop, continents being locked based on who is playing the most farmville, not fighting over A points.
  15. Savadrin

Aren't we already playing farmville? ;)
    • Up x 4
  16. FateJH

That's why I said placement rules will be the make-or-break.

What you said is just a different flavor of the same kind of "bad" if those projections are extrapolations based on what you see in the game now. If so, then nothing but the trappings change which would be for the best in that scenario. That would mean the update didn't make the game worse; it would have just changed the vehicle by which "bad" is driven in through the front door and paraded around like normal.
    • Up x 1
  17. Liewec123

true! but we're farming eachother, its an FPS!
    its not just people driving around collecting stuff to build a pretty castle and win the game XD
    • Up x 1
  18. Xannares

This reminded me of Savage: The Battle for Newerth.
    • Up x 1
  19. RainbowDash9

wouldnt it be easy to just restric ai turret construction to another constructable within the vicinity? then they have to have some form of a base so its not just random turrets. also lets not forget the costs of certain constructables and the actual capacity of the ANT. if you cant even make a turret with one full ant then how will they be spammed?
  20. Imp C Bravo

Place Ant. Build wall. Build Turret. Move ant. Do again elsewhere.

Random turrets spammed everywhere. And apparently the AA turrets are insane so there goes any sort of air game.

Maybe the Tanks as well will find themselves unable to drive around without being shot in the *** by a random turret or two someone put in a random spot.