[Suggestion] Fixing Maxes with Passive Weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzStar, Feb 25, 2016.

1. BuzzStar

This has been a long discussed issue for a while now, although I believe there is an aspect of this topic that hasn't been thought of. Maxes have been mainly a problem for people due to the fact that they cannot be fought on even gound. There is the other side of players who enjoy maxes the way they are and do not want to get rid of them because of this issue.

So how do we solve this problem without deleting a unit while encouraging different max play and more supportive team work?
    NS Nanite Regenerative Weapon System Is a new proposed weapon / ability that works similar to the medics Nano Regen Device, it can only be equipped in either one or both weapon slots. The weapon can only provide passive healing to units surrounding it as seen below.

One Weapon Slot

Cert Cost 100 , 200 , 400 , 1000
    Healing Rate 5% , 8% , 10% , 15%
    Effective Radius 2m , 2.5m , 4m , 5m

Both Weapon Slots
    ( Both Weapons Synergize With Each Other For Net Increase)

Cert Cost. 100 , 200 , 400 , 1000
    Healing Rate 10% , 16% , 20% , 30%
    Effective Radius 4m , 5m , 8m , 10m

Now also the NS Nanite Regenerative Weapon System can synergize with max abilities as well when the max ability is used and share that ability with other players within the current max radius weapon rating.

One Weapon Slot

( Special Ability 1/4 + x ( x is max ability rating at current rank))
    Cert Cost 100 , 200 , 400 , 1000
    Healing Rate 5% , 8% , 10% , 15%
    Effective Radius 2m , 2.5m , 4m , 5m
    TR. 27-40%, 31-46%, 37-52%, 44-59% (LockDown)
    NC. 50% , 75% , 100% , 125% (Aegis Shield)
    VS 30s , 27s , 25s , 23s (ZOE)

Both Weapon Slots

( Special Ability 1/2 + x ( x is max ability rating at current rank))
    Cert Cost. 100 , 200 , 400 , 1000
    Healing Rate 10% , 16% , 20% , 30%
    Effective Radius 4m , 5m , 8m , 10m
    TR 30-45%, 37-52%, 45-60%, 52-67% (LockDown)
    NC 60% , 90% , 120%. , 150%. (Aegis Shield)
    VS 20s , 18s , 17s , 15s (ZOE)

For example a fully tired TR max that has both NS Nanite Regenerative Weapon System equipped will share that max ability with other player in its radius. So at rank 5 ability and (2) rank 4 NS Nanite Regenerative Weapon System it will share a 52-67% Speed and Fire Rate (LockDown) ability within a 10m radius to other players. VS would share its ZOE effect with players and have a short cool down as shown above. NC get an extra 150% boost in shield strength. All while providing a passive health bonus!

Hybrid builds work well too sacrifing fire power for team passive health support. Max abilities help yield more fire power indirectly with team support.

This idea could also work with armor repair as another NS weapon
    Well that's my two cents TY!
    • Up x 1
  2. AxiomInsanity87

I like this

Makes infantry tough enough to charge with the maxes.
  3. Eternaloptimist

So, is this a kind of CareBear Max or will they have their shooty weapons too?
  4. Okjoek

IDK I kind of like MAXs the way they are. I think they should have more weapons to play with though. As a person who plays Engineer most of the time I see it as my job to stick with my MAX(s) and use my explosives to pepper enemy MAXs. At the same time they keep me from dying while giving me the certs I need and most MAX players are grateful and say thanks when I give them attention (they all just need a little love too <3). MAX units also allow for dynamic game play by giving base defenders the ability to make stunning counter attacks and breakouts from what are otherwise lost cause battles where the enemy just camps the the spawn room.
  5. Mezinov

The suggestion wording would imply CareBear.

If this has synergy with the Empire Specific Ability - shouldn't it have synergy with the other ability slot options as well? For example, Charge could allow infantry within radius of the MAX to sprint with it at the same speed. Ammo Storage Container could provide a reload speed buff, since the logistics of giving everyone within a radius more reserve ammo without actually filling it is awkward.

Along this line of thought - I don't think this would add any value to ZOE. Press F to make all the friendlies around you die faster? Not going to exactly make you the Belle of the Ball. This is more problems with ZOE, and a different discussion, than the idea itself. But as it stands, TR and NC get something tangible - the VS do not.

Also - what about other support functions? You mention a repair arm as well, but why not an ammunition arm? One arm lets you resupply infantry in X / X / X / X / X distance, and both arms lets you resupply infantry in X / X / X / X / X distance and vehicles in X-n / X-n / X-n / X-n / X-n distance.

Sensor arms? A single motion sensor gives your squad/platoon intel within X / X / X / X / X distance, both arms gives your empire intel within X / X / X / X / X distance. Repeat the same for engagement radar. Maybe even introduce a vehicle version of engagement radar? Motion sensor for infantry, Vehicle Engagement Radar for Vehicles and MAXs, and Engagement Radar for air?

Can also have shield regeneration arms, like the medic shield deployable.

How would this interact with melee attacks? And the MAX Melee weapons when they are eventually implemented?

This wouldn't functionally change how MAXs are now - I believe it would just add the option for some MAXs to serve non-combat roles. I also imagine the majority of your MAX players would want to keep their guns - 450 nanites is quite a bit to spend to loiter near friendlies.
  6. ohmikkie

I don't see a problem with your suggestion. But I cannot agree there is a problem with MAXes. They are not supposed to be engaged on even ground as infantry.

It only takes four guys to open up on a MAX to take it down. Having said so small fights do exacerbate a perception of a problem.
  7. MasterOhh

LOL
    A VS Max that would spread the ZOE nerf to all infantry surrouding it would be teamkilled in less than a second.

The healing idea ..... maybe.
    The spreading of the ES max abilities? TR and NC would become supendiously OP while the VS would draw a straw so short, it would create a singularity in space time.
  8. Reclaimer77

I think Max's are in a pretty good place right now. My only problem with them is their Nanite cost. I can't honestly see how a Max unit should cost as much to pull as an MBT or whatever, that's just crazy.
  9. MasterOhh

The nanite costs are OK. They need to be that high to prevent mindless Max spamming. Plus, Maxes can be revived, tanks cannot.
    • Up x 1
  10. Hegeteus

It makes sense that heavily armored exosuits would also be used for something else than shooty shooty, especially since in lore they were first made for industrial purposes. I wish this game's devs had thought about these sort of interesting and appealing things rather than trying in vain to balance it for players who are never happy with anything
  11. Reclaimer77

High yes, I agree. But 450 Nanites for something I can just casually C-4 the second he leaves the spawnroom? I think it's a bit much imo.
  12. Azawarau

I think this is a good idea but it might need to be an independent ability rather than tied to current abilities

And possibly leave the max suit with something less in exchange to make up for possibly dozens of buffed soldiers

An entirely new class might be better for this?
  13. BuzzStar

I want to point out that you could do a hybrid build as well, so if you wanted one arm with a gun and the other with the NS Nanite Regenerative Weapons System you could do that. i personally think maxes are pretty ok but I also think this is a nice way to expand on there play style by adding team support. Also armor and ammo support would work well to.