Adding more logistics to the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Demigan

I've posted idea's like this before, but I've compressed most of the idea into a few small objects.
    The idea is to add more logistics by making players use special Utilities. These Utilities have the following properties:
    • They have an important effect on the gameplay mechanic, both for the defenders and attackers
    • They autospot at 25 to 50m distance, depending on it's size and importance
    • These Utilities all cost resources (obviously), most will cost a lot.
    • Most of the Utilities are available to all classes.
    • There will usually be a cheap small Utility available and an expensive big Utility
      • Small Utilities instantly deploy and are easily destroyed by any small-arms fire.
      • Big Utilities take time to deploy, this can be accelerated with a repair gun. Big Utilities are more resilient but can still be taken down by small-arms fire. Big Utilities can only be placed outdoors similar to a spawn beacon.
    Utility 1: Logistics energy generator.
    To make these Utilities useful, tons of abilities and capabilities will have about a 50% reduction.
    So recharging your HA shields? Takes 50% as long (adrenalin shield also has 50% of the original gain per kill)
    Ammo regeneration at ammo packs? 50% as slow
    Medic AOE heal energy regeneration? 50% as slow
    Revive/heal speed of medical applicator? 50% as slow
    repairing vehicles? etc etc.

Players can place a two special generators on the field. A cheap small generator with a range of +/-100m and an expensive generator with a range of 300m. Any player within range of a generator has all their abilities set back to current normal rates. The generators are auto-spotted whenever someone enters a 50m range.
    Sunderers function as their own generator and will give these effects up to 100m, Spawn Bunkers also generate the effect for up to 100m distance, so no generators are required near these.

Utility 2: Shield generator
    Places a big/small 2-way shield generator that stops any bullets or shells. The shield acts like a wall (not a bubble). If the shields health depletes the generator will recharge unless destroyed. Players can walk through the shield at will.
    The big shield generator will cost somewhere around 100 to 200 resources to use and can be used to protect vehicles.

Utility 3: Respawn generator
    An idea I saw in a Wrel video. This is a Medic only ability for 200 resources. Players within a small distance (500m or so) can spawn on top of this generator by dieing or redeploying. The Generator can be placed anywhere inside or outside, but offers no terminal to change class or refill weapons. It cannot be placed within a Sunderer denial bubble and creates a small denial area itself.
    The goal would be to make attack and defense more fluid. Medics can help advance an attack or defense by placing these, they will also be capable of creating alternate spawnpoints and prevent spawn camping by giving the defenders alternate spawn options that aren't Sunderer bound, handy for inside bases. The defenders also get alternate options to keeping points defended by placing one of these in the vicinity or even on top of the points for quick relocation.
    This also gives LA and infiltrators a highly valuable role in locating and destroying these generators to lengthen the time it takes for players to get on point.

Add your own idea's and thoughts.
  2. ColonelChingles

Are those really logistics? Apart from maybe requiring more ANT runs to build them, there's not a whole lot of logistics going on in those.
  3. Pfundi

As someone knowing Project Reality Im already converned if what we got with the ANT will work out on live.
    In PR 99% of the people talk and follow orders from their superiors and its still a terrible mess with the resupplies.
  4. Demigan

They are a start of logistics, but usually people complain about things when I make them a tad more difficult.

Other logistics that need to be added is of course the need for players to travel around with vehicles and on foot rather than redeploying around, but that's a different game mechanic than this.

That is why it's a single generator that powers all and it's AOE isn't small. Think of it like a Sunderer: Someone will pull it eventually. Especially if you give some kind of small XP bonus for the players who put it down. Every player making use of it will generate a tick leading up to a support XP point. With some proper HUD elements you can keep track of area's that are powered and those that aren't.
  5. Eternaloptimist

Someone who played PS1 told me that if certain parts of a base got captured or broken by an attack, the defenders had to get ANTs to collect supplies from somehere else and deliver them to maintain energy to the shields (or something like that). This is the sort of thing that I'd recognise as logistics. The current resource system is a kind of logistics too, but not one that can be influenced by us due to a fixed replenishment rate, I think. Then of course there are engineers ensuring a steady supply of ammo - logistics again.
    Deployable spawn points and impenetrable shields? well, leaving aside nit picking about what is logistics and what isn't I'm not sure I understand the need. Spawn beacons and Sundies do a pretty decent job now (Valks can do a bit of spwaning as well? not sure). Medics can deploy regen shields and hiding inside a cloaked sundy field is a pretty effective way of avoiding incoming fire. I'm kind of ahppy the way thigns are tbh..................
  6. FateJH

I'm rather confuses about the wording on the first utility. Are you saying it makes enemies in the region suffer 50% penalties, e.g., half the normal rate of foo, when in the vicinity? Are you saying that it gives allies a 50% bonus, e.g., 1.5x the normal rate of foo, when in the vicinity?
    At the moment, it sounds like it just makes everyone's lives miserable, including the people who set it up.
    ... eh, close enough. *dog biscuit*
  7. Demigan

Yes I gave it a wrong name. Not sure what to call it otherwise. "adding more destroyable weakpoints in attack and defense" maybe?

Why would they be impenetrable, where did I say impenetrable? I especially name the capability to recharge if the shield is depleted, considering the shields work in one direction any player that flanks the shield can destroy the shield generator and finish off the shield easily, or you can go in full attack mode and simply power through the shield with weapons fire so you can kill the players/destroy the shield generator afterwards.
    And again I need to ask: Where did you get the idea it was impenetrable? Every time I make a thread someone comes up with something that is already solved/different from what you can read right there in the post.

I see a lot of need. I think that even though you are happy with how things are now, you would also be happy in the new situation. The new situation would simply have a much wider focus and more refined meta game.
    Heavies have been the mainstay class because they are the most useful in almost every situation. No matter where you are, no matter what you do, a Heavy almost always has use in the situation. Group fights? Heavy is great with his high capacity LMG and shield. 1v1? Again heavy. Vehicles? Heavy. Aircraft? Also the Heavy has a lot of use. Defending? Attacking? Support fire? Heavy heavy heavy. The rest also have their uses sure, but none is as omni-usable as the Heavy.
    By creating new objectives to go for we can make all classes more viable, and give the Heavy disadvantages in certain situations. Capturing points with LA or Infiltrator isn't useful since they have less health and are easily overrrun. But hunting down special objectives like these generators is a great objective for them.
    The spawn utility is a great option for the defenders, who usually do not have vehicle superiority and won't be able to bring in Sunderers. It also allows both the attackers and defenders to create a much more varied battlefield where players can be in a ton of different situations, and you can create specialized spawnpoints. A Biolab attack could be based on getting a medic in that places a spawnpoint in it. You can also keep the Sunderer as main backup and MAX spawner/refil station, while the spawnpoints themselves are put farther into the base as you advance.
    Also, the attackers now can't just spawncamp to keep the defenders bottled up. One medic is all that you need to place a good new spawnpoint and start a strong new offensive to retake the points. It also gives more value to area control: keeping out a medic to prevent a sudden flank attack is suddenly a crucial part of the game meta. The small size of the spawnpoints also allows for more refined spawnpoints. On top of medic-climbable hills, inside structures, hidden behind small overhangs or inside tunnels and towers that Sunderers would never have been able to reach otherwise.
  8. Demigan

I tried to say it like this:
    Reduce all factions regeneration/healing/reviving/repairing/rearming capabilities (I'll call it Foo from now on as per your example) with 50% (for instance). So every faction simply got nerfed overnight.
    Then add generators, any player within range of these generators will have their current Foo. Big generators already have a range of 300m, which should be enough to cover most if not all bases with surrounding area. You could probably cover almost an entire AMP station with one of these on one of the outer towers. With small ones you can support more personal solo attacks as long as you are within range. Keep in mind, 100m range means 100m range both ways, so the total circular bubble one of these creates is 200m long from edge to edge, giving you some room to move in with the right placement. Big generators would have a range of 600m edge to edge.

It shouldn't be too hard for any faction to get generators up and running to keep normal foo in normal attacks. However, a player that tracks one of these generators down and destroys it can cause a temporary nerf to a lot of enemies in one go. This works for both the attackers and defenders of course. Some things like deployed Sunderers and Spawn Bunkers act as independant generators that keep you foo up as well, giving them more power and reason to exist as well.
    The goal would be to give a deeper meta. Right now it's mostly "slam your head against the wall day!" every day on PS2. With King-of-the-hill mechanics everywhere the best classes to be are the one's that can either cash out damage or tank shots, the rest is a glorified support. By adding more reliance on different classes to support an attack/defense (Medics that put down spawners, random classes placing generators, LA/Infiltrators being the go-to-class in taking these out) you get a deeper and more varied gameplay, which will help in keeping the game alive. Otherwise people will get stuck in ruts and only take Heavies (of which there are more than enough players) and eventually leave because there is not enough variety in the fights and capabilities.
  9. JonboyX

"Utility 3: Respawn generator
    An idea I saw in a Wrel video. This is a Medic only ability for 200 resources. Players within a small distance (500m or so) can spawn on top of this generator by dieing or redeploying. The Generator can be placed anywhere inside or outside, but offers no terminal to change class or refill weapons."

Leaving aside the medic deployable spawn beacon sounds, well, like a spawn beacon... maybe an alternative proposition would be a router (http://wiki.planetsidesyndicate.com/index.php?title=Router) - which at least means a person has to make it to a given point to use it (rather than say mass-redeploying), and has a destroyable vehicle constrained to the usual terrain - again rather than say a medic bailing from an aircraft in to a tree.

The more I look back on the range of Planetside 1's options, the more I rue the decision to make PS2 so simple.
  10. EPIC389

Scr1n I hate you for this, but you made me check up warhammer 40k and now im obsessed with it.

But I did see something that gave me an idea.

In warhammer 40k the space marines legion have a healer type officer called the apothecary

Basically stabs his allies and injects random healy stuff into them(correct me if im wrong)

But I feel like this could be used in PS2

Basically a medic with infinite medkits. It would top up someone's health

Downsides are:

You cannot revive the dead

There is a 3 second cooldown before you can heal someone up again(this seems fair to me)
  11. Eternaloptimist

Perhaps I misunderstood this part of your original post:
    But in any event, I'm kind of on the fence about the ideas (kudos for putting them forward by the way) so I'll say no more
    • Up x 1
  12. Mezinov

While nobody is going to argue that WH40k isn't fun in its own right, why does the medic need this? They already have the option of an AOE heal, or, taking their Medic Tool out and literally shooting health into allies within shotgun range.

Sure, stabbing health into people would be fun too. Perhaps this could be added as a Knife replacement for Medics? Quick knife to heal a friendly for X amount of - well I guess the term is now foo. The advantage of which would be less downtime (don't have to switch weapons to use) for the Medic, which allows them to stay engaged in combat, the disadvantage of which will be that they give up their melee attack. Quick knife already has a reasonably lengthed cooldown such that this couldn't be spammed to keep someone healed forever - and wielding it like a knife would just put you in the same spot as your Medic Tool.

Also that whole reflex thing and the fact it will probably result in alot of friendly knife TKs because you forgot you didn't have it, or aren't a medic, and that guy was really hurt. Or that hilarious moment when you get the jump on an enemy, want that sweet knife kill, and end up giving him a full health bar - like an Engineer giving ammo in their dying moment because of the HA reflex.
  13. Taemien

This sounds like an overall nerf for the sake of arbitrary inconvenience. Not to mention a direct nerf to snipers and other long range users who have to operate slightly outside the battle.

While I'll support anything that gives groups a large advantage over solo players, this goes a bit too far in the annoyance factor for me. I don't see this adding any fun to the game.

Portable Vanguard External Shield? Can't say I don't like the idea. Especially if both enemy and friendly can walk through it, AND it can be destroyed by enough firepower. Hell if it means we can drop more spawn shields because now the defenders can put their shields up where we want them, I'm for it.

To be honest.. I think we've got this covered already. Spawn Beacons already cover this niche, and we have Deployable Sunderers. I have a great idea however to go with this. Spawn Beacons have their cooldown removed. Unless its destroyed (make up some lore reason it sends a feedback that takes some time to correct).

This would allow Squad Leaders to place beacons and replace them as needed. As long as they aren't destroyed they can put them down in different places.

As for logistical suggestions of my own...

Take my idea for bases involving destructible parts (Ledges, Bridges, Walls, Floors, Ceilings, and Tunnels). And make them tougher. In my suggestion before they'd have similar health values as turrets. Now make them tougher like 10x the health of a turret, and maybe 25% more resistance to everything.

However they now take ANT's to repair, not just engineers. Or a combination of both. Each base has a resource depot that an ANT can store resources in. When using repair tools on damaged parts of the base, it takes those resources. This resource depot can be used on other base functions such as upgrading turrets or the like. Basically a general resource players can donate to their entire team.

Logistics aren't just about resources and materials, but troop transport too.

With that in mind.. lets expand Fireteams a bit. Fireteams are limited to 6 players. However the benefit is that they can now deploy into any Fireteam occupied vehicle within 500-1000m. This allows multi-vehicle crews to deploy directly into the vehicle one of their fireteam members pulls.

Sometimes you need a vehicle on the spot, right now. Waiting for a crew to come to you can take valuable time. This would alleviate that. I know my TR Outfit would use the heck out of this. This is especially true of Valkyries without SLS (which should still be baseline), and Liberators. Where when you pull them, they fly a bit before having to take a wide arc to come back and pickup. Imagine if you could just continue forward to the objective and have your crew in their seats by the time you got there.

Nanite Squad/Platoon Sharing/Pool

The short form of the idea is you could share nanites with squadmates and platoonmembers. Some people and some classes use more nanites than others. How often have you sat at 750 and saw that in a session you've gained 2000+ but haven't used any of that? It would allow us members to share the wealth with non-members as well.

The long form is more interesting, and adds some more fun abilities to Squads and Platoons. This is a pool that players can donate to. You can either donate a set amount manually, or have it take a percentage of the nanites you receive. This nanite pool can be shared by the squad or platoon to facilitate the pulling of vehicles and the like.

In addition it allows the Squad or Platoon leader to purchase abilities and vehicles that exceed the 750 limit. Things like:

Dropships
    Colossus Tanks
    Orbital Strikes
    EMP Strikes
    Supply Drops
    ANT Resource Drops (basically drops a node right there.. keep the enemy away!)
    and a variety of other large things requiring tons of nanites.

Some of these things could cost an upwards of 9000-12000 nanites meaning you're not going to be able to spam them. For example if Orbital Stikes were 9000, it would take all of the 750 resource pools of 48 players to 'spam' four of these. But then you have a platoon of 48 players who can't pull vehicles, use med kits, mines, C4, or whatever for a few minutes. So while you could spam these to a limited degree.. you're handicapping a large number of players to do it. But it allows for a last ditch effort depending on what you call in or puil.

This nanite pool is saved to the Squad or Platoon itself, and not the leader so switching leaders keeps it in the platoon. Squads that join platoons add their pools to the platoon pool. Squads that leave the platoon don't take a pool with them. Platoons reduced to a single squad (by moving everyone to one squad) keeps the pool. Squads or Platoons that disband cause the pool to vanish.

Since donating to the pool is voluntary there's little room for abuse.. donate to trusted squads. Or even if it was mandatory (such as a tax system) just join platoons and squads you trust.
    • Up x 1
  14. OldMaster80

With the word "logistics" I mainly intend "moving soldiers".

From this point of view there are a few facts:
    • Not every player loves to drive / be a passenger and spend even 60 seconds to go in a battle.
    • With Redeploy and cross continent reinforcement system part of the macroscopic strategy has gone because factions can now pay less attention the minimap and how they move along the lanes. In case one base is overpopped response can be extremely fast. Good for casual action, bad for depth.
    • The existence of Redeploy in particular is a real strategy killer: despite all the nerfs, it still allows to ignore rules of time and space by quickly relocating big masses of soldiers. In particular this allows to ignore topography and natural barriers.
    • Theoretically there is no need for Redeploy to quickly get in the battle, since we have Instant Action. Unfortunately that's rather bugged, and the lazy crowd not only wants to be in action quickly, but also expects to be able to chose which fight to pick up.
    • Strangely Instant Action has a cooldown, which is completely stupid considered Redeploy can be used at will.
    My personal opinion (not very popular, I know):
    • Redeploy should only bring back to Warpgate, to the nearest spawn room, to vehicles with Squad Logistic System. In other words the reinforcement system should go away.
    • How do players resecure bases without reinforcement system? They keep an eye on the map, and get ready to grab a vehicle and get to the battle. If they are in a team, they send someone to drop a beacon.
    • Large part of the squad troops relocation should be left to beacons, which should imho be Platoon beacons. The carrier of the beacon should be decided by the PL (so it shouldn't necessarily be the PL) and the cooldown should be Platoon based. So if the carrier is switched, the cooldown still remains the same.
    • Beacons should then have more HP, and be harder to destroy (i.e 2 EMPs to deactivate them?). They should also have no range limitation. If I send a scout to the other side of the map and he places a beacon, all the team should be able to fall down with drop pods.
    • Those who want no downtime in battles should use Instant Action (properly debugged), which should have no cooldown.
    Why? Because in Planetside 2 troops transport means nothing. It has no place in the game: moving around the continent is too fast, too easy, topography and enemy position on the map are never a problem, as anyone can teleport around. Imo talking about metagame in PS2 until we can redeploy all day will never make sense. Moreover seeing an enemy squad coming down from the sky is much more epic than just seeing people popping out of nowhere.
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

The medic deployable would indeed function mostly like an upgraded, faction-wide spawnbeacon.
    The Router looks nice, but for me it has some flaws. The attackers usually have vehicle superiority (the moment the defenders have superiority they destroy the Sunderers and become the attackers). Thus the attackers will have access to a router, while the defenders do not. I would really want the defenders and attackers to have a more equal footing, rather than giving the attackers even more advantages (variable spawnpoints, infinite time to plan and execute an attack, point structures favor the point defenders... which is usually the attackers who hold points while defenders only flip a point and try to destroy the Sunderer afterwards and with the Router the attackers have an "easy" way to teleport around)
    The respawners do not have to be as small as a spawn beacon, on the contrary! This isn't a simple beacon to throw droppods at, this is a fully functioning spawnpoint! These things should require some flat open space (much larger than a tree offers) and would have enough of a size to be easily hittable.

As an alternative to the router, I wouldn't mind a placeable teleporter that has a connection pad. This requires the Medic (the Medic class needs this as an upgrade to the classes importance) to go to two locations at least: One where players are going to be to teleport, one where players are going to teleport too. This also makes simply dropping in on a tree much harder.

Eh, isn't the downside "The medical applicator is much much better in almost every possible scenario"?
    The medical applicator can heal people at a distance and within 3 seconds, so you can already be healing (and maybe be done with healing) the next guy. So only in a scenario where you help some Heavy with a resist shield receive more hits due to the regen will this be profitable (and make you a huge target).
    I guess you had some special things in mind when you proposed this that you might have missed? How would this make itself unique from the medical applicator and not have an extreme niche application?

Actually a wonderful idea. It could still deal damage to other hostile people and be a medic-only weapon. Damage against enemies could be 400, health regen could be 400 as well. Makes it powerful but with the average TTK when you get hosed down hardly something that can keep players alive, the normal applicator would out-heal it probably. Adds some nice variation in healing techniques without sacrificing combat-readiness.

It is an arbitrary nerf, similar to getting ammo through ammo packs only available through engineers is an arbitrary inconvenience, even shield generators are an arbitrary inconvenience. The goal of the change is to create softpoints that can be destroyed for most and create secondary player-build objectives that give the LA and infiltrator extra goals to pursue. The proposed change has a strong effect on the game without it changing the game in normal combat. Any other idea's I had would consist out of creating items that boost players capabilities while inside the range of such a utility, which would change the standard combat.

Yes it does nerf snipers and other long-range users or players behind enemy lines. A solution could be to bind this to player mass in hex's. 1-12 players in a hex? No arbitrary nerfs, all your foo is normal without any negative problems. That's a full squad that can operate without problems or need of a generator in a single hex. The moment more players are in a single hex these rules apply (the standard network cannot feed them all without a generator). This solves the solo player problem and still allows these softpoints to exist, which helps the game's meta. The moment more than 12 players are in a single hex it's not unreasonable to assume that one places a generator, and since even a small one can cover a hex I don't think it will be a problem, except of course when the generators get taken out and players suddenly need to put them back up, which is a good goal to pursue.

A straight up positive reaction for a part of my idea's, that's quite rare, I really need to look up how to make my threads more popular.
    Anyway, yes both friendly and enemy can walk/drive/fly through the shields, depending on the resources you spent on them they can take a massive punishment (and with proper placement, hard to permanently destroy). Of course, placing them in the wrong place could have your enemies ending up making use of the shield...

The problem with this for me is that it's a squad/platoon only solution, while Sunderers are a faction-wide solution with limited placement options.
    I think this fills in a perfect hole in between the Spawn bacon and the Sunderer, where you have a faction-wide spawner that has the placement versatility (or even more than that depending on the placement) of a spawnbacon. The class restrictions help enforce the Medics useability (rather than making LA a glorified spawnpoint placer) and give rise to a more dynamic and fluid meta where stealth and mobility have a larger role than the current "king-of-the-hill smash your Zerg against the wall until something cracks" mentality that is favored in almost every aspect in the game.

Sounds good. I personally would prefer it to be "repairing damaged parts is free for engineers, reconstructing destroyed parts costs ANT nanites". That way keeping something repaired is favorable and doesn't leech nanites similar to it not costing anything for the attackers to lob shells at it.
    This actually ties in very well with my idea's, as the goals of my idea's were to make all classes more viable rather than have one main class and have a few niche/support classes on the side, which breeds a very stale and predictable gameplay for the most part.

Actually a logical step, right now fireteams seem almost superficial, there's only a few very niche moments where you would want specific fireteams in heavy teamplay, by adding this you breed better cooperation within a fireteam and a larger likelyhood that they stick together. PS2 isn't really build for single-squad tactics, the moment one person dies it can take an age before the flow of battle deposits the players back together, and simply steaming through towards your squadmates can be hazardous in many situations, if your team isn't spreading out because they are dieing/moving further as you speak. This makes keeping a squad coherent tough. This is one of the reasons why I would try to promote impromptu teamwork with anyone, be it a pubby, squad/platoon mate, different squad/platoon player or another outfit, rather than just inter-squad teamplay.

I've proposed similar idea's in the past. Allowing a squad leader to reward players with resources when fighting in a certain area or reduce the cost of a certain vehicle and pay out through a shared squad/platoon resource pool is a good idea to enhance current team coherency, especially in public squads and platoons where teamwork is often few and far between.

The problem I see with this is the division. The squad/platoon lead will be able to get in the best spots of the colossus tanks for instance, and people who helped pay up will be left in the dust as not all can drive or gun the vehicle at the same time There could be players that just joined the team taking the spots of someone who basically payed up the entire vehicle because he joined so early! There's also a question on how to divide the kills and XP earned from orbital strikes. Do the players that helped pay for it get a share? Does the squad lead that misuses it (bombs his own team) get enough punishment? Will players fight to be squad lead just to get a ton of easy kills throwing an orbital strike against an enemy, even if it doesn't help their team (think a spawnwarrior tactic where you bomb your enemy even though it won't help you take back the base because you have too few people there anyway) etc.
    I think the best would be to call in squad/platoon wide boosts that have an AOE, such as a temporary improvement to player health, or reducing the cooldown on squad bacons with nanites to get more out of it, spawning in short-term shield domes to protect your team (again, 2 way shield with health that anyone can walk/drive/fly through) etc.

As for other true logistics idea's (my original one isn't exactly logistics) I would reduce the availability of redeploy. If you can redeploy to another base 3 times per 5 minutes for instance (with the exception of going to the base you are at or the warpgate, you can always redeploy to those) you do not limit players in their normal goings, but you do limit redeployside. Hopefully this will put a heavier focus on using vehicles to get around the map, create a higher value to controlling terrain and having bases (which means that ANT-build defenses and blockades become an important part of the meta) and also means that the fire-team perk of spawning in each others vehicles becomes a valuable tool to stick with your tank column while traveling from base to base.
  16. Taemien

[quote="Demigan, post: 3360272, member: 181911"The problem I see with this is the division. The squad/platoon lead will be able to get in the best spots of the colossus tanks for instance, and people who helped pay up will be left in the dust as not all can drive or gun the vehicle at the same time There could be players that just joined the team taking the spots of someone who basically payed up the entire vehicle because he joined so early![/quote]

Squad bought vehicles are neither a privilege nor a right. They are a tool to be used by the squad leader or designated by the squad lead. It would be entirely up to the leadership to decide who gets what. This sort of system has worked well in the past in other games such as Archeage where a guild leader designates who the recipient of trade runs will go to.

To give a quick run down. You can use guild assets to turn in 20-100 (or more) trade packs at a time. If you let everyone per run turn in a pack or two, then it takes 50 trade runs to get everyone a vehicle. But if you let one or two people turn in all of the packs per run, you get a vehicle each run which makes the runs more profitable. Meaning it takes 30 runs to get everyone everything instead.

Players just need to sacrifice for the common good. But as I said, its optional. One could simply not donate, or simply do not join squads with nanite tax (if they were to go with that route.. personally I'd like it since its less work for me as a squad member).

Most outfits and groups have standard strategies and tactics. How they spend their nanites would be integrated. Random squads and zergfits would splurge their resources of course. But thats when those who don't like being 'used' can start their own smaller groups or join groups with better coordination. This is actually a healthy thing for the community to do.

Kills from such a thing wouldn't be awarding much at all. But it depends on how strong or fervent the strike is. How I picture it is something similar to BF2142's where the OS puts down blasts that are NOT OHK, but 2-3 hits needed. So if you get nailed with a blast you want to take cover. This means the blast zones are denied. You can run through them, but will likely (not guaranteed though) get killed. But if you're caught in one, chances are you can take cover. The idea is to hinder movement. Not destroy everything.

In this case I'd award it to the leader who called it down. Leadership isn't rewarded enough in PS2. This wouldn't be enough, but any bone thrown to a SL/PL is good.

If it was something stronger, I'd award it to the entire squad or platoon. Call it a platoon/squad bombardment exp. 10-25 per kill to everyone. With a slight bonus going to the one who used it.

I'm not big on giving awards out to be honest. The reward should be playing the game in its own right and the satisfaction of achieving the goal. To me exp is just the gravy that goes on top. To me the better awards are things added to the directive system and award stuff like titles, camos, and unique skins (armor, weapons, vehicles). But I don't want to get into that here. It could get complex enough to warrant its own thread.
  17. ColonelChingles

Really if you want to talk logistics...

Bases have nanite silos that can hold 5,000 nanites.

When a base is not in play (adjacent to an enemy base) and is connected to the Warpgate, it automatically accumulates nanites. Maybe 200 every second.

But when a base is cut-off from the Warpgate or is adjacent to an enemy base, it stops automatically accumulating nanites. These can only be replenished by ANTs.

Infantry spawns cost 100 nanites. Vehicle spawns cost 500 nanites. These are taken from the base nanite silos. This means that a full silo can spawn 50 infantry or 10 vehicles before it is emptied.

Sunderers have internal nanite silos as well, of 1,000 nanites. This allows for 20 infantry spawns before the Sunderer is depleted. Sunderers may be refilled either by driving next to a nanite silo or from an ANT.

You can drain nanites from friendly or enemy silos and transport them (or refill a Sunderer).
    You can also attempt to directly attack the nanite silo with explosive weapons to cause it to deplete more rapidly. Maybe every tank/Liberator/rocket hit would reduce the silo by 100.

Introducing these changes would introduce logistics.
  18. Demigan

Although I like the idea, the costs are too high. 20 infantry spawns on a Sunderer? 500 nanite cost for vehicles? The game would become "mineside", with ANTs storming every direction for resources just to be able to buy something outside of the warpgate. You wouldn't even be able to do one round of spawning in a 98+ battle!

I would think that with 5000 resources, infantry spawning should cost 1 resource for the infantry and 1 resource for any additional equipment (refilled grenades/utilities, so if you haven't used those you only substract 1 resource for the infantryman). MAX and vehicles cost 5 resources. To punish redeployside, 10 resources are deducted for any player that redeploys from another friendly base into the new base. That incentivizes using vehicles from a nearby base rather than the base you are going to save. Since after the redeploy you would make attacking the next base tough as you've drawn a ton of resources out of the pool.
    Sunderers draw resources from the nearest friendly lattice-link base. So keeping that safe from counter-attacks on the ANT's there is crucial for the attackers, just like it would be crucial for the defenders to draw in enough resources, or use enough resources that the attackers first have to replenish the base before they can move up and attack...
    I would also lower the amount of resources earned per seconds, to encourage keeping bases supplied with ANT's and preparing for an attack in advance.