Driver crashes on GTX 970 (or Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SilverAura, Feb 5, 2016.

1. SilverAura

So I'm having something of a reoccuring issue in Planetside 2 (fairly exclusively it seems) where the screen will blank out, the monitor will lose signal, and after about 5-10 seconds, I'll return to the desktop, then the game will pop back up. At no point before or after this happens however, will the game even have a drop in performance (below the expected 30-50fps on max settings) in any given fight.

Normally I might dismiss this as being a hardware or driver related issue, but after a little bit of observation it seems to be exclusive to Planetside 2 and the EVGA GTX 970 or Windows 10.

First and foremost, I should mention that I don't have my GPU or CPU overclocked at all. I get acceptable performance in Planetside 2 with my hardware and have zero desire to push my hardware to get more.

I've tried updating my graphics drivers and completely resetting all my settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. It seemed to work for a little bit but then it started happening again, so any "improvement" was likely just a coincidence.

I've also tried turning some settings down, the issue still occurred no more or less than before. As a sort of fail safe (because at no point playing Planetside 2 did I hear my GPU's fan speed up), I did install Precision X exclusively to manually control the fan curve and monitor temperatures. The average temperature is 40-50'c, never exceeding 60'c, especially with GPU fan manually forced to "Aggressive".

Furthermore, I increased the voltage by +6mV (without increasing clocks) and the issue still seemed to happen, albeit not as often (though likely a coincidence). I have not yet tried +12mV.

Above all though, I think the most damning evidence that this is specific to either the GTX 970 or Windows 10 is that another friend of mine who has the exact same model graphics card as I do, the EVGA GTX 970 and running Windows 10, is having the exact same issue as me. This immediately strips away any suspicion that this is related to a possible hardware fault in my specific card and/or drivers since everything else about our system specs are different - including our driver versions. We're even using complete opposite (albeit equivalent CPU's), I'm using AMD, he's using Intel.

Another friend of ours however is using a GTX 660 Ti (if I'm not mistaken) and running Windows 7 and has no issues with the game at all.

I know driver crashes are a very difficult thing to pin down, especially when it seems completely random like it is with this particular issue, but I'm hoping everything I've described can at least get some sort of possible solution or perhaps help with a possible fix. I'd normally imply that this is an issue beyond Daybreaks control, but the issue seems exclusive to Planetside 2. I've run far more graphically demanding games on my GPU, including The Witcher 3 - maxed out, Just Cause 3, and even Batman Arkham Knight (with moderate performance). None of these games have had any issues at all.

That being said, I know Planetside 2 is more CPU demanding than GPU demanding but as I mentioned above, my friend and I are running completely different CPU's, the only similarities in our hardware is the GTX 970 and Windows 10 and we're both having the same exact issue in Planetside 2 exclusively.
  2. Rorshack

Dude,
    don't try to beat yourself up by changing all kinds of settings for this concern. I and many others have been experiencing the same or similar conditions when playing this game. It started for me approximately about two months ago after the previous update before this latest one. I will be playing the game for around 20 mins and suddenly the screen will start to flicker a bit, i hear audio buzzing feeding back through my speakers, the screen will freeze in battle or sometimes i will get one of three colored blank screens (red blue or gray) occasionally it will BSOD and sometimes Windows simply states Planetside 2 application has stopped working.

I have tried everything,............................ i mean everything, to try to diagnose this issue. I have a EVGA GTX 780 and an i7 4790k good psu , asus maximus hero vii mobo, 16gb ram etc etc......not overclocking anything.

After many hours of reading forums and such the only thing i can think it might be is a memory utilization problem between windows 10 and planetside 2. I mean this game utilizes a good portion of ram and I have read from a lot of others that they believe windows 10 may not be allocating the ram correctly causing the game to ctd suddenly.

I don't know yet because i haven't tried going down that road yet . I shouldn't have to really. I think the guys at Daybreak should acknowledge this concern because a lot of players are experiencing this, but thus far i see nothing in the forums or online. The only thing i do see is other players writing about the very same thing i am experiencing . So what does that tell me?
  3. SilverAura

That's actually really reassuring to hear. I mean it's unfortunate that there's not a fix yet, but I take a level of pride in keeping my computer as clean and well maintained as possible, so the thought that this issue might be with my computer had me really concerned until my friend told me he was having the exact same issue.

Now I just hope they can get it addressed sooner rather than later because I've died more than enough times for it to be really annoying. At this rate, I'm afraid to even fly a scythe into any battle with more than 10 people.
  4. Rorshack

agreed......the game crashes at the most in-opportune times, like flying in battle with a crew in a galaxy.......oops sorry guys....lol. Sometimes i get lucky and am able to play for hours, usually its when the server population is very low.
  5. vlaamseleeuw

@OP
    whats the temp of your CPU ? and is the vga a stock 'overclocked' version?
    always make sure your CPU is cool as well and try to run the game with the gpu on real 'stock' clocks
    and don't use xmp profile.
    i had weird crashes as well and this fixed it for me.
  6. SilverAura

CPU warns me when it's above 60'c so I can only assume with no warning, it never exceeds that.
  7. RocknRoll

I had some similar issues wit my screen blackening out. By chance its the same stuff: The source of error in my case was my monitor (ASUS VS248 series) with ASCR turned on. Thats some system to vary your monitors contrast depending on the picture shown. In my case PS2 always blackened out in the same situations and turned back on a few secs later.

mayhaps that helps
  8. SilverAura

At this point I think we know the cause of this specific issue so any further speculation is likely a completely unrelated issue. I just found out another friend of mine is having the exact same issue and he has a completely different hardware configuration. The only common factor here is that we're all running Windows 10 and the one and only friend of ours who isn't having any issues is running Windows 7.

Right now, we're all pretty much agreeing that the issue is Planetside 2 not agreeing with Windows 10. We just Daybreak to officially recognize the issue and hopefully confirmation of a possible fix. Preferably sooner than later because this is very annoying and enough to make us stop playing again after a year hiatus. Beyond Planetside 2, Windows 10 has been amazing. This issue alone wont make me go back to Windows 7, it'll just make me stop playing Planetside 2.

PS: I can confirm it's a driver crash because when the game is minimized for a brief second or two after blanking out, the desktop is showing and you can see the yellow explanation mark that occurs anytime the graphics drivers crash. The other issues (blue screening, completely locking up the computer, etc) are probably all symptoms of the same issue.
  9. user101

As I have been told by the DEV's DRIVER crashes are a Nivida problem. Wrong forum to complain about. And I use a GTX970 running Windows 7 x64 and have no problem what so ever. Time to roll back to win 7 guy
  10. SilverAura

With all due respect, please read the conclusion we've come to. It's a Windows 10 problem, not an Nvidia problem as a friend of mine who's using an AMD is also having issues.

As far as rolling back to Windows 7, I refuse to do that when this is the only game that's giving me any issues what so ever.
  11. bellamorte95

Ok guys just to end this debate, I finally got in touch with a friend who develops for NVidia, the problem is windows 10 they(NVidia) have notified Microsoft of the issues and were told it was not a Microsoft problem. They are working on a fix for the drivers but Microsoft is not helping so they have no time line on a fix. Everyone needs to spam Microsoft with support requests if using AMD or NVidia were all having issues and is there problem force them to help.
  12. user101

So the fight has moved from NC & TR to microsoft and nivida... over who is responsable for graphics integration. I'll give PS2 credit they can find just about every bug in a video driver.

I am still using 353.62 for windows 7...
  13. SilverAura

Are you going to keep bragging about using Windows 7 like an old Windows XP loyalist?

We're slowly chipping away at the issue and what to expect in the way of a possible fix. If you're not going to say anything besides "Go back to Windows 7", your input isn't contributing at all. So please stop.
  14. MoarBassPLZ

Getting the same issue with a 970 and windows 10 as well. I really hope there is a fix soon... been looking for a solution for too long.
  15. MoarBassPLZ

Just realize this post was started about a year ago, and not 1 day in the future...Any word on a fix?
  16. Rorshack

I haven't written or followed this thread til you posted, however I thought it would be a good thing to update how I fixed this issue. First of all PS2 is extremely demanding on RAM. Simply put 8gb of RAM is simply not enough to run the game using windows 10 because 7.5 gb's are needed so I recommend using at least 16gb. AS far as my issue with bsod or blank screen or suddenly being kicked out mid game, I investigated similar situations other players were having in similar games and found a common thread between them all. Almost all of us were using one or more monitoring programs such as MSI Afterburner or Precision X along with Riva Tuner and HWinfo at the same time while displaying the statistics such as FPS and CPU and GPU temps while in game. I stopping using OSD from these programs while I was in game and voila! I have never had the problems arise again (except when it was a PS2 problem and everyone was experiencing it) I don't know if that will be any help to you in determining what is causing your specific concern but at least it is some advice to start with. ..........good luck.