First upload!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Gundem

I've always wanted to make some PS2 videos, but I've never gotten around to it before.

But here I am, recording my first short 3 minute killstreak! I know it's terrible quality, soon I'm going to upgrade my PC some more and then I should have the capabiltiy to record at least 720p 60FPS, if not 1080p.

So, any experienced up-loaders, what would you recommend?
    • Up x 2
  2. The Rogue Wolf

Technically there's nothing really wrong with it, aside from you maybe having the game's sound effect volume a little low compared to the voices, which sort of takes away a bit of the "oomph" from the footage.
  3. Gundem

Thanks, just reinstalled PS2 on a new SSD so many of my settings aren't quite right yet. Voices were blaring in my ears before, hopefully I can find a good medium between the two.

Do you have any recommendations for free editing software? Currently just using Shadowplay for recording.
  4. The Rogue Wolf

I've never found anything worth using that was free, myself. I use Sony Movie Studio, recent (but not current) versions of which can be had on places like Amazon or Newegg for around $30-50.
  5. TheFlamingLemon

Windows Movie Maker isn't great but it gets the job done for organizing clips.
  6. Iridar51

Keep using Shadowplay, it's your best bet. I'd recommend trying out different quality settings, it's very possible that you won't lose much performance even if you set to record in top quality.

For editing the footage I prefer to use Sony Vegas. It's kinda simple and complex at the same time. Adobe After Effects is a very popular alternative, but I couldn't even begin to figure out how it works even on the basic level.

I hear windows movie maker is serviceable, though I haven't used it myself in ages. Probably not a bad place to start, if you have it. I don't know any free editors, sorry.

It would also help to understand how digital video works in general.

So let's say your screen has 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution. It takes 24 bit of memory to determine the color of each pixel (see more here: Color Depth)

So 1920 x 1080 x 24 = 49766400 bits of data for one frame. That's roughly 47.5 MB.

So 1 minute of video with 60 frames per second would take ~167 GB of space.

This number is absurdly high, so nobody uses uncompressed video.

The process of compressing the video is called encoding. This is what Shadowplay does - it copies the video feed that goes to your monitor, compresses it, and stores on the hard drive.

There are lots of different ways to encode the video, including software, hardware and mixed solutions. But it all comes down to basically running WinRAR.exe for each video frame, if you're gonna be primitive.

To play back the video, you have decompress it and send the video feed to the monitor. The process of decompressing the video is called decoding.

The piece of software that does encoding and decoding is called a codec. There are lots of different codecs with different properties, such as encoding/decoding speed, file size, video quality and supported containers (video file extenstions, such as .mp4 or .avi). Most popular codecs are h.264 and VP10.

When you cut the video in a video editing program, you will have to re-encode the resulting video. This is a process called rendering - basically, strapping different pieces of video together.

Codecs can be downloaded separately, and used by video editing programs to render the video.

Here are suggested rendering settings for youtube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

You should know that after you upload the video, youtube will still re-encode it to fit own standards. Usually this means severe quality loss, but no way around it, unfortunately.

One of the more important encoding settings is bitrate. Basically, how much data each second of the video takes on average.

It's better to record in high bitrate, and then render to lower bitrate later, this way you can get good video quality with small resulting file size.
    • Up x 1
  7. Iridar51

Oh, I remembered a free editor for you: Freemake Video Converter.

It's a very basic software, can't add text or music or several layers of video, but it can cut different pieces of video and render them together in one file, which is already something.
  8. haldolium

AFX is for post production though, Premiere is Adobes cutting tool. While perfectly able to cut stuff with AFX and render it out using whatever, it's overkill for simple cutting (and imo workflow-wise not the greatest there either, but that usually only matters for videos over a certain length)

Do you per chance have some PS2 video with original sound and 1920x1080+ on YT as an example for shadowplay? The ones I've seen where I know shadowplay was used were in the "okay" range when it came to PS2 or had no game sound.
  9. Iridar51

As you've probably guessed I'm not versed in Adobe tools, photoshop is my limit :) Thanks for the correction.

I use shadowplay in all my videos that are 60 FPS. The ones in 30 FPS, except few old ones, were recorded with external hardware encoder, Avermedia LGP Lite. I don't use it anymore, though.

I only have this uncut video - original shadowplay, no transcoding through Sony Vegas.

Youtube re-encodes everything you upload, usually this means quality loss. So it's not shadowplay's fault. As an example, with Newborn #4, youtube reduced the bitrate of the video, and the total size of the video changed from 2.7 GB to 400 MB.

Past certain point, doesn't really matter in what quality you upload.
  10. Imp C Bravo

I'm sorry Gundem. I have to downrate your post. Your are playing TR...(and HA)

:p
  11. Gundem

Butt Butt butt... That butcher thou!
  12. Reclaimer77

So this is how you get the "awesome" stats you browbeat me with? Never take risks, ignore the control points that you should be fighting for, just camp the spawn/vehicle area with HA+LMG combo??

Yeah no thanks. Say what you want about my stats, but if this is an example of a "good" player...I think I'm doing fine.
    • Up x 1
  13. Gundem

Random 140 second upload that totally showcases my entire playstyle and the general fights I participate in.

Normally I'm much more aggressive, but that simply happened to be what I decided to record at random and upload, because better to start now then never.

But I highly doubt you'll listen to me anyway, so meh. Take it as you will.
  14. Reclaimer77

Well it would have been nice to have the benefit of the doubt too. But hey, you get treated how you treat others.

Why you think there's anything in this video worth watching anyway is beyond me. That's 140 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
  15. Gundem

It's less of myself actually showing off, and more of a shoutout for advice to the other active uploaders on the Fourms. And it has gone wonderfully, I've gotten a lot of great advice and I still uploaded my first video, which I'm proud of.

And obviously it's true that the footage I choose was rather lackluster, but I didn't even have Shadowplay set up till about a day ago. Which is a crying shame, since I've had a few really sweet streaks(Like a recent 15 killstreak I had holding the point at Seabed Listening Post)/record worthy/This is Planetside moments(Watching 2 entire platoons of VS armor and aircraft lumber out of their WG towards Snowshear, the rising sun to their backs) just a few days before. But, no sense in crying over spilled milk, there will be other montage worthy moments to upload, and hopefully by then I'll have my editing station set up so I can do more then crop my videos.

And hey, if it was a waste of your time, at least it was a short waste.
  16. FieldMarshall

I dont really have any advice. Just wanted to say i hope you upload more, and good luck.
    Its nice to see more people uploading PS2 content.
    • Up x 1
  17. Bindlestiff

This exactly. I don't understand why people have to be so sour when others show interest and have the balls to do it.

Good on you OP.
    • Up x 1
  18. Reclaimer77

Not being sour about him making a video. But he's one of these jerks who will look up your character and find some stat he doesn't like, and use that as an ad hominum attack to try and discredit you on the forums. He's made it personal by doing this to me more than a few times in a really immature fashion.

So here he is posting a video of him being just another camping "MLG" shi**er who puts personal stats above all else. Fact is, he's not even all that good. Certainly not good enough to go around criticizing others.

What what I supposed to do? Honor demanded I point out his hypocrisy or whatever.
  19. JudgeNu

I haven't used it yet but this is the only editor I have.
    If you watch the video he shows you how to get it and you will have to run setup as Administrator and run Resolve as Administrator or you will get QT coding errors.

20. Gundem

I have indeed used his stats, but I used them to disassemble his argument. If you call that attacking someone, I suppose that's your prerogative, not mine.

And funnily enough, while I'm the one being called immature, he is the one who coined the term "Homocopters", which some might consider highly offensive(As his abject hatred of all aircraft implies that Homosexual is a derogatory term).

Basically, long story short, I asked him to actually get some experience being an A2G pilot before crying about how OP they were and suggesting nerfs, and when I confronted him about his logically unsound argument he accused me of attacking him.

And once again, as for this little segment specifically, I admitted I'm farming a lot because I want the Butcher. But I still do plenty of objective based play, but it's usually when my squad is online.

But hey, keep replying. More front page for me! :D