A (much easier) way to add a crosshair overlay.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Gustavo M

And it's so easy you don't need to do nothing, since it's a portable software with all the necessary stuff built-in. No need to install other 3rd party software, nada. Just run and enjoy the game. (Sure, you can also customize with another crosshair of your preference... but it's optional.)

With any further ado.... download this, extract, run and that's it. This is a software called "Custom Desktop Logo", with all the bloatware removed, with only the crosshair included that I customized myself.

Oh, and don't forget to run the game in "fullscreen windowed" mode in order to see the crosshair.

You are welcome.
  2. XanIves

Congratulations!

You have been selected to test out the new iPhone 7!

Click here for your free Auraxium Membership!

Seriously though, who's going to download an openly edited program from an online forum from a non-verified party?
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

my blu-tack works just fine thanks! :D
    • Up x 3
  4. customer548

You should try my own stuff.
    • Up x 3
  5. Villanuk

I try and aim without the need for a cheat, bad i maybe, but i dont want cheats to help me.
  6. SpartanPsycho

A crosshair overlay puts a dot in the middle of your screen, which is where bullet COF originates from. It is legitimate as confirmed by the devs.
  7. FLHuk

And this circle argument again...

The Devs did not make a game they wanted overlays in.

More they can't bloody police them so have taken the path of least resistance!
    • Up x 1
  8. XanIves

Well, they didn't want a game where you could play your music in the background, either, but guess what: it's not up to them to decide that. What I do with my screen (not removing anything that the devs have, only adding more clutter on top of it) and my computer is up to me, not the devs.
  9. TheRunDown

Far as I'm aware, the Devs never really did confirm if crosshair overlays are ok or not, more like dodged the question to please everyone at the time.

In my books it's still a grey area and will remain there until I see viable evidence of a "current" dev clearly stating it's ok beyond reason of doubt..

So if I were to get suspended for a few days or banned, I could use it in a support ticket.
    Not that there's ever been a recorded case of someone actually being banned for a crosshair overlay..

Far as I'm aware, if the game doesn't like your Overlay, it just refuses to run and crashes with a G-Error..
  10. Villanuk

Well its an "aid" to help you aim, or direct your bullets at a target from a third party program, for me thats cheating.
    • Up x 1
  11. WeRelic

Extract and run code "edited" by an unknown source?

No thanks. Anyone still doing so in this day and age should have their computer privileges revoked.
  12. Jubikus

Its touchy the devs have confirmed before that it is ok and tho i dont use one i can understand it because if you say its ok then everyone is on a level playing field as in computer gaming customizing your hud to fit you is widely accepted for most games other than FPS. The problem is its impossible to stop people from using overlays period i can take a piece of scotch tape and a sharpie and put that on my screen and get the exact same benifit as using a program to do it and no amount of internet tools will detect a piece of tape.

Tho some people may call it cheating having a pink dot in the middle of my screen because i like that better than 4 little white lines doesnt make anything function differently just how my brain perceives it.
  13. WeRelic

Well, in all honesty, a piece of tape and sharpie has zero chance of exposing things about the game, so I have no issue with that.

Given an overlay program, and some image processing, it's not a huge stretch to start tracking player movements, or ingame objects such as projectiles/grenades/mines etc (aka wallhacks/ESP).

Sure, it wouldn't be very effective or accurate, but that is a fine line you don't want to cross.
  14. Jubikus

It is indeed a line that people wouldnt want crossed but the devs have said that a simple crosshair overlay is fine if you start doing the other things then well they didnt say that was ok and can be banned. That said the amount of work it would require to try and do something like this that still wouldn't really work correctly especially when the game already gives you a good amount of information with spotting and the minimap and grenade indicators that something like this would be a waste of time.

The crosshair is a special case because it doesnt make anything function differently it doesnt give you any extra information and personally if someone is shooting at me i dont care if their reticle is 4 white lines 4 lines with a purple dot pink dot or someone i know used Jack White.
  15. Mianera

I honestly do not find crosshair overlays cheating

I find the damn game lacking crosshair customization since day 1
    • Up x 2
  16. WeRelic

I agree fully that a simple overlay isn't an issue. Just stating how quickly such a program could be extended into malicious functionality. That said, I agree with their stance, since they don't have a builtin crosshair editor, and such things are extremely hard to detect and prevent.

This. The entire argument could be circumvented by implementing a builtin crosshair editor.
    • Up x 2
  17. Mianera

But on the other hand, I do recall an old argument back from the early days of SOE where the devs made the argument that the game is intentionally lacking said crosshair editor as well as weapon scopes taking up half of your screen.

They want there to be a certain difficulty in aiming at players from the hip.

They want scopes to come with big downsides as well, both from the hip and while aiming down sights.

But I think there is a find line between difficulty and impossibility. Like who in their right mind would use a x4 massive scope on a SMG or shotgun? I believe that some of these are simply implemented due to a lack of thought behind the implementation.

My own argument for using a overlay is this:

I could by all frikken means put a sticker on the middle of my screen and it would be the same. If people wish to call me a hacker or cheater for using a sticker, then go to hell.
    • Up x 1
  18. HAXTIME

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  19. Vaphell

Quickly? Surely you jest.
    Drawing an invisible window on top of the game with some pixels enabled is in no way even remotely similar to screen capture, real time image processing and advanced pattern recognition algos, especially when you can extract all the information from the game memory directly, which is what all the haxx in existence do already.
    • Up x 3
  20. user101

You do know that all third party overlays (crosshairs) is bannable by the DEV's !!!!!!!!!!!!

So don't cry when they BAN you .....! And thanks for the link for the DEV's