[Help] Looking for a good first AR buy on a VS Medic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Jan 23, 2016.

1. UberNoob1337101

Well, the title says it. Played Cobalt VS Combat Medic for a while and I fell in love with the Pulsar, so I thought about going for the directive AR, the Darkstar which is supposed to be the Pulsar, but with infinite ammo and a compensator.

Even though all of them are good, the one which I thought was the best was Terminus. Seemed like a beefed up Pulsar with faster rate of fire and better attachments. I'd like to know which ones are the best for it, because I'm torn between the adv. laser and adv. fore-grip+compensator. Also kind of interested in the CME because nobody uses it.

Just tell me which ones are the best/good picks for a first buy.
  2. Corezer

terminus
    • Up x 4
  3. Johari

Look into the HV45. Lots of battles take place in CQC which this gun is more geared toward. If I remember correctly it's also on the cheaper side cert wise. If you were thinking of actually using station cash/daybreak dollars, dont. If anything, use that money for cosmetics or NS weapons that you can use on any character.

Terminus is a great gun, would recommend, but my first suggestion would be HV45 if you find yourself in close quarters.
    • Up x 3
  4. asmodraxus

The reason for the lack of love for the CME is that the NS is flat out better as more ammo in the clip, everything else is the same except for the drop (which for infantry combat can be ignored).
    • Up x 2
  5. pnkdth

Terminus. Only reason to get the others is if you're going for the directive weapons.
    • Up x 2
  6. eldarfalcongravtank

the Terminus indeed offers the best package with its above-average firerate and good damage/range. it's a great starter gun for new VS medics.

however, if you are ready to give up versatility to gain more closequarters power, there is no way around the H-V45 which is the fastest-firing VS assault rifle and thus the weapon with the biggest damage potential up close.

in terms of pure stats, i cannot recommend the CME. the NS-11A is almost superior in every way. however, if you like the looks/feel of the CME and want to use it you should not look at stats only.

as a sidenote, an often overlooked candidate for mid-longrange is the Corvus which is my favorite VS assault rifle. it has the 167dmg model and amazing accuracy. the recoil pattern is consistent and almost has no horizontal drift which makes it very easy to control the weapon even in longer bursts. i can only recommend it for longer-range engagements!
    • Up x 2
  7. Hammerlock

for long range i suggest the corvus ... for close range terminus/HV-45
    • Up x 1
  8. Garrum

Terminus. It's really the only competitive AR the VS have, and it's more or less matched by the TR starting AR and fully trumped by the NC Carnage (.75 ADS and 750 RPM without over the top recoil). The HV45 has excessive damage falloff and intense horizontal recoil, and the Corvus has a painfully low RoF. The Equinox is just a poor gun. The Equinox burst is ok, but you have to like burst weapons.

I auraxed the CME, so let me give you some advice: Don't. Use the NS11 instead. The NS11 is a straight upgrade to the CME.

As for the Darkstar, it's not really worth the grind. It's not like it's a horrible gun, it's just not as competitive as the Terminus. I have a Darkstar, and it's what I use, but that's because I feel like I have to after that grind. It overheats much faster than you think it will, and even with the compensator, the FSRM will still make you roll your eyes. The Betelgeuse, on the other hand, IS worth the grind (probably the only directive weapon you can say that about), because it's based on the competitive LMG. If the directive AR was based on the Terminus...well, things would be different.
    • Up x 1
  9. Gundem

It appears that the Butcher is pretty good as well. It gets improved min-damage range, higher RoF, larger magazine and only suffers from the lack of a fwd grip, which is inconsequential in it's intended range.

Perhaps it's because I don't actually own it, but dakka I loved the CARV. Butcher appears to be a CARV that exemplifies the positive aspects of all TR LMG's, having an even higher RoF then the CARV, the SPA of the MSW-R without the magazine reduction, and the huge magazine of the CARV-S+extended mags without the significant hit to your RoF.

The Butcher gets all of that, and all the Battlegoose gets is improved sustainability via cooldown, and improved KPH padding ability since it reloads while you furiously rub your medkit. Honestly not that impressed.
    • Up x 1
  10. Ragnarox

Looking from harder to easier:
    CME->NS11->Corvus->HV45->Terminus

but if you auraxiumed pulsar don't use CME, its crap.

If you want darkstar I suggest you this way from harder to easier. Leave terminus for last cause its best AR.

my road was: Equinox (really loved underbarrel shotgun)->NS11 (better than CME in every possible way)->HV45 (great gun for cqc bad in other situations)->Corvus (great weapon but greatly lacks rof in cqc)->Terminus (this was so easy to aurax cause its best AR for VS medic).

Darkstar is good but if it was built on Terminus it would be great, now its mediocre as it's best.
    • Up x 1
  11. Garrum

The Butcher will never be as good as the Betelgeuse simply because of the gun it is based on. The MSW-R is better than the CARV, and everyone knows it. It's not a coincidence that all the tryhards use the MSW-R unless they are grinding the Butcher, which they never use. People put up with the BG's terrible recoil because it has infinite ammo. The Butcher, while it has a lot of ammo, will still run out, and it still has terrible recoil.
  12. pnkdth

Tryhards play this game like CS. Farmer's league and, to a lesser extent, LaneSmash really do not play in the same way as live or ServerSmash. In the latter two I rather have the high DPM of the CARV or Butcher for the same reason I use the EM6 with ext. mags. Being able to hold down lanes of fire, point holds/pushes, get rezzed with plenty of dakka left, pre-firing, etc, is far more important than a bit more accurate LMG.

The main difference between the BG and Butcher is that the BG is better over time whereas the Butcher's has more dakka "front loaded." With the BG is awesome if all you do is farming but on a push you will often overheat due to the nature of the weapon. With the Butcher you will have enough bullets to clear a point without a reload. Not having to think about "do I need to reload?" is huge for my playstyle. Again, why I love the EM6 with ext. mags. I can reliably support my medics/engy's and wait for a calm moment to reload. BG can do this as well, but not quite as good as it quickly overheats id you are trying to hold a point versus many enemies, as it favours the hit and run/in-out-of-cover style more.

TL;DR: In other words, it comes down to which grass you think is greener. I believe ReNz0r did a review of the Butcher as well which goes more in depth. If you're not interested in watching it, the TL;DW: Perfect weapon for organised squads.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ronin Oni

Terminus is Best. Better than dierctive AR I believe. (I don't even actually own it... I have 4 AR's already and I'm not about to drop 1k certs on a fifth even if it is better)
    HV45 is a beast for CQB. It's like an SMG without the terrible dmg droppoff
    Corvus and CME are good for range, but you'll hate life in CQB with them.

Pulsar is what I use most currently, as it's the best well rounded between it, and the other 3 I listed. Terminus is just better for all-rounder though as I understand it. Almost as good as HV45 in CQB, with about the same quality range as Pulsar.

I've got no Auraxiums (I don't play enough for playing all kits and vehicles on 3 factions using multiple weapon systems on every class and vehicle to boot to ever earn a single one yet... I can't just only use 1 weapon... In another 2 years I'll get 10 auraxiums in a month)

That's all I know.
    • Up x 1
  14. Garrum

The people that DON'T play this game like CS are a super tiny minority, unfortunately.
  15. Corezer

HV-45 is another mention, especially if you are just grinding the directive. It lets you grind out those kills quickly in cqc situations like tech plant defense.

the directive might not be worth as much as the BG or the eclipse. infinite ammo covers a major weakness for heavy and light, but for medics the terminus reloads quickly enough and you will be around teammates for ammo.
    • Up x 1