[Video] Why does Planetside 2 feel grindy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LUCAGRABACR, Jan 18, 2016.

1. LUCAGRABACR

While other multiplayer FPS games with a shelf life of approximately 1-2 years are even grindier and more repetitive. The only explanation is:

2. oberchingus

Because it is.
    • Up x 4
  3. Peebuddy

Can't people just enjoy the simple things in a FPS, like shooting someone? I really get tired of peoples argument that they have to shoot too many people in a god damn FPS game.

*UUUHHHHHHHHHHHH* When can I stop shooting people and go back to playing minecraft?!
    • Up x 2
  4. FateJH

Never felt it was grindy.

I suppose it might be grindy if you go out of your way and try to grind.
    • Up x 3
  5. DooDooBreff

it only feels grindy to people who are used to having everything granted upon installation...
    or by playing for 10 minutes and buying an awp
    • Up x 3
  6. Eternaloptimist

Depends what you're grinding I guess. For me shooting people is fun (not grind). Trying to gain Directives is grind (not fun).
    I haven't bothered with directives since I used a few LMGs I didn't particularly like, got the third level directive and got a poxy banner..........nowadays I jsut play, though if I happen to notice I'm close to getting a directive stripe I'll sometimes put in the marginal effort needed to collect it.
  7. Liewec123

i have grinded, (like unlocking Brawler) but never felt like i had too.
  8. Taemien

I have never logged in since 2012 with the idea.. "I've got to grind out some certs."

Why? Because I play to win. Not to make some stupid number go up. Do I look to see how many certs I get? Sure, I do. Its a measure of how well I am doing day to day. But for me, certs and exp is a tool. A tool to win more often with. A tool to give me more options to win with.

Nothing more.

Cert Farming isn't wrong. But what is wrong is when someone cert farms and then complains about how the game is boring. You know what that is like? Its like dribbling a basketball around and calling the whole sport boring. Never playing with a team, never really shooting hoops, just dribbling around. No sh-t, that would get boring quick.

There's alot the game has to offer. And you can get your certs and use them too by playing to win. That's what I do and I have a blast doing it. The certs on the side are just gravy.

With that said. Even playing to win for long periods of time can be mentally draining. PS2 can be a high paced game. And unlike other shooters, there can be hours without lulls in the fighting. That's exhausting for most people. Even players like me. So you do need to take breaks.

I take alot of breaks. If I binge out for a few days, there might be a week or two that go by without me logging in. That's not because I'm tired of the game. I'm just tired lol. I always come back though, I never take a break thinking that's it, I'm done. Its just I've found something else to play for the next few days or sometimes weeks.

And that's my secret to why I've been playing since November 2012. Why things like ZOE, Gatekeepers, HA's, Libs, and other stuff doesn't bother me. I don't play 7 days a week for months at a time. 2-3 times a week, 2-3 weeks a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    • Up x 1
  9. oberchingus

I've played over 3000 hours of it and it still feels grindy.
  10. DooDooBreff

sounds like a personal problem
    • Up x 1
  11. Daemonn

It's a progression system. Ever played a major MMO? This is an FPSMMO. I'm only BR25 because I played beta and shortly after launch my PC died. Finally returning and yeah, it feels grindy but not compared to games where you literally have to grind for hours at a time in one area on one mob to get a quest done or reach next level for more quests.

I try to average 100 certs each play session, usually takes an hour or two depending on the fights going on. I usually run engy with a rep bus, trying to always be the premier sunderer spawn during a large advance. I have tons of fun playing like this and sometimes I don't even get any kills. That's the beauty of the "grind" in this game.

In most other shooters you are limited to a play session and strictly progressing through kills or kill based achievements. And if you're looking strictly at the Directive earned weapons as the sole marker of achievement I think it's a perspective issue and not a game mechanic issue.
  12. AxiomInsanity87

Nah mate

It's like bashment levels of grind

I love it

madcuzcan'tfarm
  13. CorporationUSA

Definitely not grindy. I make 60-100 certs an hour without even trying. I don't even consider myself to be good.
  14. Alkasirn

Although I keep finding myself disagreeing with LUCAGRABACR, I can't help but love the clips he uses in the videos.

In the PS2 isn't dying video, there's a part with what seems to be a pink mossie rolling while traveling sideways into a sunderer. (Something I've never seen before) Within the first 20 seconds of this video, we see a MAX scooting around as if it has worms and a headless sniper. (Something I see ever so often but never with this frequency.)

I can't help but imagine someone who has never played PS2 before going to look at these videos and thinking "What the **** is wrong with this game?"
    • Up x 2
  15. AxiomInsanity87

It's because his net is either dial up levels of bad or was running slow at the time.
  16. MikeyGeeMan

F2p is Grindy. All access is not in the least.
  17. tijolo

Has membership and/or buys boosts? Doesn't feel grindy.
    Has no membership and boosts but plays only one class/vehicle? Not grindy.
    Has no membership and boosts and plays every class and every vehicle with every empire? I have at least 1400 hours in this game and I've only bought max rank of something about 5 times. You can easily auraxium a vehicle weapon before you can max out all cert lines for it with its own earned exp.
  18. TheFlamingLemon

Because it has any sort of progression at all, and people who don't like progression will immediately denounce games that have it as "grindy." I'm not saying that not having a taste for progression is bad, for the record. People like me, who enjoy progression, say that games that have everything unlocked at the start are repetitive and boring. It's just a fact of life.
  19. Taemien

Ehh... I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. In exp/cert gain.

Playing an Engineer and being at 0 nanites after respawning 2-3 times in under 5 minutes starts showing the difference (I run Grenade Bandoleer, or Utility Pouch).
  20. ferlinco

remove the directive thingy, that the main thing that cause me to almost quit.