Cheapest PC to play PS2 on Max Graphics?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Okjoek

Prebuilt and Custom build options please. This game has been out for several years now and it still seems to be so demanding on low cost systems for whatever reason, my guess is poor optimization. I don't want a PS4 either.
    We're not that wealthy so I'd prefer something under 600 dollars if it's possible.
  2. Zeborah76

am not realy tech in this but i run a AMD FX 8350 4.0 ghz
    and a HIS radeon R9 270X its atm a very cheap card i think now so 150 euro in my country
    but it perform very well on heavy games his clock speed is 1140 so it not bad for a old card

i build my comp self for so 700 euro but you can make it cheaper if you like
    maybe a other CPU ??
  3. DooDooBreff

this is not easily answered... if you got the cash bring your max specs to a pc shop and ask him to price you one. however, when buying a new pc, id recommend paying for it to be good 3 years from now, and not just for ps2
  4. FunBotan

Minimum system requirements from the site:
    • OS
      - Windows 7 or later (64-bit)
    • Processor
      - Core i5-760 or better / AMD Phenom II X4 or better [Quad-core CPU]
    • Memory
      - 6 GB RAM
    • Hard Drive
      - 20 GB free
    • Video Card
      - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 or better / Radeon HD 4850 or better
    • Sound Card
      - DirectX compatible
    For max graphics you just need to add a better video card to this.
  5. Gundem

Sadly, under 600$ just won't cut it for PS2. I'll give you my build specs, which can run PS2 pretty reliably with only the most taxing settings turned down.

Intel i5 4670-k clocked to 4.00GH'z while playing games, will cost around 240$.

GTX660(You can find them on sale used often for around 100$

Z87X-HD3 MOBO, will cost about 100$

Any old HHD, lower cost will yield less space. Mine cost about 50$ initially, but since then I have upgraded my space.

PSU, mine cost about 70$ and has no issues. Look for one in the 600-750 watt range.

RAM. For PS2, you really need at least 12GB of RAM, otherwise you will face lots of stuttering and possibly crashes. I personally use Ballistix Tactical, but if your budget won't budge their Sport line is a bit cheaper.

For a case, you'd best go to a PC store and ask for floor models. My 912 HAF case is really stellar, and it only cost 35$ because I got the floor model.

Copy of Windows. Gonna cost ya a good chunk there. My preference is Windows 7, but some say that Windows 10 actually boosts performance for PS2.

Peripherals. If you want, for basic casual play a standard wireless mouse, wired standard QWERTY Keyboard and whatever monitor you have stashed around/whatever is cheapest.

I personally use the Logitech G700s(Mouse), G510s(Keyboard), and G970(Headset). I plan to replace my keyboard eventually for a mechanical keyboard, but my current one does the job well enough.

You can easily create a rig that will reliably run PS2 at 60FPS on med-low settings for under 600, even 500$. But Ultra all day every day for under 600 will require some serious bargain hunting/compromise elsewhere.
    • Up x 1
  6. Iridar51

To play PS2 comfortably on ultra settings you're gonna need at least an i5 and GTX960.

Core i5-6600k seems to offer great performance / cost ratio, especially if you overclock it, for which you're gonna need a motherboard with Z-series chipset, Z170 for example.

Motherboards usually have chipset in their name, for example GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H motherboard.

However, that's already 725$ of budget, judging by newegg.com prices, so there you go.

You could manage with cheaper parts, especially if you tone down specific settings. Sure on full ultra PS2 looks spectacular, but I recommend disabling certain settings so all that eye candy does not hinder your visibility.

Your monitor matters as well. If it can sustain only 60Hz, then going above 60FPS won't do any good for you.

If you have a trustworthy source, I would simply recommend buying a used PC, with a 3rd or 4th generation Core i5 (like i5-3570k or 4550k) and any GPU better than GTX 660. GTX-770 would be a perfect fit.

That's gonna be much cheaper, and nowadays PCs don't really have time to die of old age.
  7. Okjoek

How will this combo perform?:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450. It's from an old Alienware that broke. Quad core 3.1 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon R9390
  8. Pikachu

My game goes down to like 30 in big battles. I7 2600k, 12gb ram, GTX 970.

:L
  9. Gundem

It's that crappy CPU thou, that's Laptop tier there.

My 4670 would beat it.

Actually just searched it, doesn't seem that bad. Maybe it's just it's older architecture?
  10. Zeborah76

in my old days this cpu

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz Processor

was a beast omg he never broke down had him for many many years

but i dunno how he will work on ps2 ??

but he is very very cheap
  11. Shiaari

Hey OP.

The answer to that question is complicated. PC gamers like myself and a lot of the other guys on this forum have been playing PC games for quite some time and have spent that time acquiring and upgrading individual components. Sure, sometimes we build an entirely new rig, but that's rare. More often than not we find ourselves cannibalizing components from older builds, combining them updated components, and going from there.

What you need to think about isn't necessarily what's the cheapest PC you can build to play PlanetSide 2 on ultra, but rather, what's the most cost effective means of building a rig that can play the most new titles, now. If you focus on building for PlanetSide 2--a game that's 4 years old--you're going to be left out in the cold when a new game strikes your fancy.
  12. Taemien

Nothing under 600 is going to cut it.

All 989 Studios/Verant/Sony Online Entertainment/Daybreak Games dev'd games are CPU heavy. So you need a decent CPU and a GPU with about 3 or 4 GB of video ram for the textures.

Here's about what you're looking at to get a decent performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102075

You can get by with something cheaper if you search around. But I recommend just budgeting and saving till you have enough for a decen't PC. Go 4.0Ghz and a 900 series Nvidia GPU and don't look back. You can get by with something cheaper like I said.

Until the ANT hits and player made structures start beating the tar out of people's potatoes. If anyone thinks their R7's and GTX 600s and sub 3.8ghz CPUs are going to pull through that.. are kidding themselves. And are in for a rude awakening.

I'd recommend a cheaper hobby than PC gaming. Its not the most expensive hobby out there, but it ain't cheap by a long shot. Too often have I seen online friends spend a bit on a machine, and then can't afford the spare parts when something fails. Believe me, shtuff WILL fail a day after a warranty ends. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me and people I know.
  13. Ragnarox

For games DO NOT BUY AMD IF YOU DONT WANT TO OVERCLOCK IT BY 30%, buy intel instead, i5 + some card like 760gtx. Stay away from AMD, my honest advice.
  14. Crackers

Running an old refurbished 580, and an AMD FX6350 6-core processor. No need to overclock, game runs perfectly fine on ultra, no frame issues ever, and for very cheap.
  15. Zeborah76

dont need to overclock my amd 4.0 Ghz is plenty :)
  16. Savadrin

I recently built a second system to run PS2 on.

I used the new $99 AMD Six-Core FX proc.
    Sapphire R9 390X (or was it 380X?) ~$200
    Cheap *** Mushkin Enhanced 240gb SSD <$100 for sure
    8g of whatever RAM was on sale and the right clock speed for the mobo (maybe $50 or less?)
    An ASUS AM3+ mobo in the $80 range.
    Basic 600W power supply as I'm only running one card and the proc is only 95w, I had it laying around but it's probably ~$80-100 tops if you buy a Rosewill

This setup allows me to play on Ultra and record 1080/30p with no gameplay detriment, but that's more than what you're asking.

Realistically, you should target an ultra-running budget machine in the $800US range for everything including a case with GOOD TOP VENTILATION. The case itself can be cheap just make sure it doesn't trap heat.

A PC such as this build should last you several years. By then, DDR4 will be prevalent and you'll be scrapping the whole ****heap anyway.
  17. jmdafk

min recomended specs will play the game fine on low detail. It only starts to chug in big battles.
    And imo thats where PS2 is a problem, most mid range gpu's will handle the graphics on max- but the physics aspect cripples the cpu.
    So for PS2 id get a mid range ATI GPU, scrimp on other components (cheap HD, 8gb ram etc) and whats left go as powerful as possible on the cpu. I5 and beyond ideally, else amd fx.
  18. Savadrin

To add to this, the stock overdrive auto-tuning for AMD overclocking has a pretty positive effect on FPS, no need to go past stock heatsink.
  19. customer548

PS2 on Ultra with full settings enabled is definitly nice looking, but it becomes quickly messy if you want to play it in a relatively competitive way.

You'll not go for Max settings with this, but it's a confortable rig with a mix of High-Medium -Low settings (There are things that you do not NEED to be rendered in high like shadows). You'll be able to run the game at Max settings, but you'll loose visibility, framerate and reactivity during fights in close quarters).
    i5-3570 + GTX 960 2GB + 8GB RAM.

Long story short :
    - Go for a custom computer. You'll know what you'll buy. You'll buy things you really need. You'll pay a cheaper price. You'll be able to upgrade/repair your computer by yourself and for a cheaper prices. Each hardware component is sold with a clear and easy User's manual. You'll feel like a badass with your screwdriver in your hand.
    - Overclocking is nearly useless and reduces hardware components' lifetime. And you'll have to buy stuff for cooling overclocked stuff.
    - 2GB or 4GB GPU ?
    - Your R9 390 question : Go for a GTX 960. Because the R9 rendered dark and flat models (I tried a R9 390 and a GTX 960). Because of consumption (Consumption is electricity bills ( look at "TDP" here 270W for the R9, 120W for the 960 )). Because of the Nvidia software (Shadowplay) and pilots which are not messy.
    - You do not NEED a SSD. Better buy a good mouse.
    - If you're on a budget, have look at 80+ power supplies. They may seem to be expensive at first, but they are supposed to reduce electricity consumption.