Best AV option

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by oTec, Dec 24, 2015.

1. oTec

Currently have about 500-600 certs to spare and i really need a good AV option for my character.
    So i either roll with C4 on my LA or i built out my heavy assault with NMG and flak armor. (And maybe later the faction specifc AA-laucher for overall use.) I normally don't play heavy assault but then again, C4 won't give me an option to counter air or to engage from a safer distance.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. Fusionshadow

C4 is generally more effective at getting vehicle kills when they really matter. Most AV rockets only do well when multiple people are rocketing at the same time, and at that point the vehicle is a goner anyways. You can play a more pivotal role towards taking out high value vehicles with 2 C4.
  3. JobiWan

Tank mines for engineer, or save up a bit more and get the AV mana turret.
  4. oTec

Maybe C4 then, I currently only play medic or LA. I'll save up for that then. Sucks that C4 isn't shared over to the medic.

I see alot of people with AV turrets, i might consider getting it later then. Quite a price.
  5. Demigan

lock-ons are a poor mans AA weapon. Since the dawn of lock-ons I've often preferred to grab myself a dumbfire, wait for the aircraft to get in close and give them a killing blow. Lock-ons only attract attention, leave you open to attack from either ground forces or the very aircraft you are attacking, don't deal enough damage so it will always get away if not kill you and your best bet auraxiuming an AA launcher is dumbfiring it at infantry.

For AV builds I would really go to vehicles. Although an LA with C4 is an option if the drivers have no situational awareness and you know how to approach from any other direction that straight at them. I don't often use HA's so for AV HA work you should ask someone else.
  6. Azawarau

LA is a good option for tanks or sundie busting with other players but heavy will be the better solo sundie busting option and can chase down enemy tanks.sunderers that spot you a little easier
  7. Eternaloptimist

Combat Medics can carry C4. It is only infils and Maxes that can't.

I've also had quite a bit of success with the engineer AV Mana turret - even got 4 kills when I shot down a Valkyrie with one. I think of the Mana turret as a guided Decimator with unlimited ammo. The downside is that you are a sitting target for tanks and snipers when using it, so pop off one or two shots then move somewhere else and redeploy. Strangely, I've had little success with tank mines.

I don't know which faction you play but for ESRL I've only ever solo killed damaged tanks and esfs with the NC Phoenix. If you ar playing HA you can carry an RL and C4 of course..........
  8. Jubikus

C4 is good against tanks maxes and groups of enemys. As for a counter to air you should get one when they put one in the game currently all they have is "deterrents" basically the only thing that will kill a decent pilot before they just leave are groups of AA or good shots with AV weapons.
  9. DirkGently

The problem with C4 is you only get two (unless you're engi, but tank mines > c4)
    On Engi - You can get 3 tank mines for pretty cheap. I believe it'll be around 500 certs. Get sticky grenades so you can detonate them reliably.
    For heavy, engineers are your best friend and you can annoy the hell out of air, since rockets are replenishable via ammo. Lock ons, like just about everything in this game, are more effective if you team up with some friends.
    Don't be "that guy" shooting the decimator into the air for 3 hours because you saw some guy's edited video kill 10 mosquitos with it.
    Also, anti-vehicle grenades + grenade bandolier + decimator is pretty much the end of any vehicle, but that will take quite a few certs.

C4 is a good option for starters on LA, keep med/resto kit on Heavy.
    Only two classes you really need C4 on are Medic and LA.
    • Up x 1
  10. Moridin6

mines then c4 then av turret then lancer
    then
    THEN
    if you REALLY wanna AA

skyguard
  11. Iridar51

If you play LA a lot, C4 is a must have. But none of the infantry AV options are particularly useful. If you want a loadout focused on killing enemy vehicles, you should invest in a vehicle of your own.

AP Lightning does more damage, holds more rounds, moves faster, more durable, etc, etc than a HA with whatever launcher.
    • Up x 2
  12. oTec

This is why i always ran flak armor on my HA on my other acc. But rocket launchers only work well in groups sadly. Prefer C4 over them, even though it means getting close.

If the sundy has a shield bubble, it's impossible to solo it as HA. Moving tanks outside 30-40m are quite difficult to hit to for me.

I know, i meant that it doesn't share over. So if i buy it on medic or LA, the other class doesn't have it ... sadly D:

Haven't really had much luck with mines, mostly place them down but then the fight like never progresses as far as where my mines are or infantry spots them :/. (Like 7/10 times)

True, but a lightning requires me to expose myself at a terminal, drivining off the pad (and mostly into AT-mines at a base under attack) and if i'm the only tank out there, i won't last long. You are right however that an AP lightning will do more damg then some heavies trying to sling rockets at you at a range beyond 30m
  13. JohnGalt36

14. MikeyGeeMan

Not enough certs to do anything useful with. You need about 2-3k to get good equipment for AV.

You could look at the AV turret and then maxing out the recharge.

Max fractures with max lockdown.

Max reload and anchor.

Whatever you do for AV will cost a lot.
  15. Diggles

Sounds like you are still fairly new to the game if you dont have these already. I would suggest you're going to get the most milage from ENGY turret. Between Mana Turret shots, you can be laying ammo down and soaking up more XP. AV turret hits hard and you have great range. This works great if you park a flanking Sundy behind a Ridge. A few engies, heavies and AV MAX can ruin a ton of enemy armor doing this. You'll be rolling in certs
  16. OldMaster80

Personally I find c4 too situational if you don't play LA. Tank mines are imho more effective because they are deploy and forget and they are very valid against max.
  17. Kanil

If you want to kill bad tankers, C4 or the MANA AV will work fine. If you go with C4, learn to love boost pads.

If you want to kill good tankers, you have to get an aircraft or cert an AP tank (preferably the MBT.) Infantry options against a competent tanker are limited to "massively outnumber it".
  18. Iridar51

It comes as a given that you're not supposed to pull vehicles from a base that's under attack. You have the magic of redeploying, use it. You can then use the Lightning to flank.
  19. Azawarau

Either 2 c4 and rockets or rockets then C 4

Take out the shield first then finish

Another thing i do on LA is Place 2 C4

Walk back to a resupply and refill

Blow the first two then place the second group and finish the job. Youll need to wait for it to burn out or use the crossbow secondary with explosive bolts to chip it to death as a LA but heavies can use rockets for this instead

On engineer i do 2 C 4 then 2 C 4 and finish with 2-3 archer shots