Share: Why do YOU play planetside?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nifa92k, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Nifa92k

Personally, I was never good at sports. I was usually the @ss of the team, but in planetside 2 that's different. I can interact with people from several different countries around the world, and we can all get together, form a platoon and kick some serious @ss. When I made my outfit is when I really fell in love with the game because everyone has their place. We all have fun and joke around, and we never really take the game too seriously because its easy to kick @ss when you have 47 people by your side. It's the feeling of being involved.

If you play on Emerald TR, you might have seen a player by the name of iAMscum (me) yelling at people to do this and that in proxy chat and untimately giving orders that people follow and we go base by base conquering. I'm telling all the support to get behind the heavies, I'm spamming flares in the direction we need to go, I'm placing smokes in points we need to take. I literally call out any point and then on demand it gets taken. That makes me feel like a friggin General and I feel like I'm contributing something even though it's just a game. I don't feel useless.

One medic can turn the tides of an alert by reviving an expert veteran heavy, who goes and blows up the enemy sundy, which stops the enemy flow, which allows ally forces to see that the base needs help and exterminate all enemies, then a zerg forms and the zerg tramples and entire area to win the alert. All because on one medic. We all have a place in this game. Where do you guys stand?
  2. PlanetBound

Battlefield Free shut down. I tried several other free games and this one was the most professionally made. It's as good as the BF series. Better in some ways.
  3. Jubikus

Mostly i Lone wolf. I dont bother with platoons because they tend to tell me to play what i dont want to play and as for objectives i dont need some idiot(not all platoon leaders are but alot of them are) to tell me what needs to be done its pretty obvious what needs to be done. Other than that i roll with my laid back outfit and we mess around we dont have huge numbers but it usually takes outpop to roll us off a point (usually being key word sometimes a few pros show up and hand our ***** to us) but we have fun.

The best i do is when i tank theres been several large battles where my team is getting hit pretty bad but i manage to snipe all the enemy sunderers with my P2-120 AP and then shortly after you can see the team rolling out the walls of the base because they pushed them out and its a nice feeling.

The game has many different ways to play and this is why im still playing and still find it fun.
  4. Halo572

Didn't know BF free and Heroes were gone, years since I bothered with either so no loss.

Why do I play Planetside 2? I don't and haven't since the 2nd October 2014. I went on holiday on the 3rd, that is how I remember, and never logged back in.

7 days and I will have made a whole complete year without even logging in. Isn't there a Steam achievement for that?

I have to admit that I am shocked at the map changes and the rumour(?) that heavy shields are going. I don't come back much you see, combined with a development speed measured in geological timescales.

But, there is still no game to play, they continue to tinker with the edges and yet it is still a TDM in tiny maps in a big map.

3 1/2 years later a TDM in tiny maps in a big map. No game, no reason to play, just TDM in tiny maps in a big map. Sigh.

Been playing LFD2, 6 years old and still playable and enjoyable as it ever was, allowing for mapathy.

3 1/2 years later a TDM in tiny maps in a big map. Sigh.
  5. Taemien

There's no other game like PS2. Its the only one of its kind. And you know what? How could anything topple it? It created and destroyed the genre. Nothing can compete if you think about it. Not on this scale.

Does it have its issues? Sure does. But every game has issues. PS2 just seems to have less of them then most. That's right, it has far less bugs than the majority of MMOs out there. Balance issues are nearly non-existent. If you read these forums you'd think it was an unbalanced mess. It is not.. for example.

Lets go down memory lane. MechWarrior 2 and 3 (the REAL MW2 and MW3). The only weapons that were viable were lasers.. period. Every other weapon's velocity could easily be dodged. MW4 was better, most weapons were useable, it was still a mess but manageable. There were a few metas you could do to spice it up. Then came Tribes 2. I never played the first couple of games in the series, but I played Tribes 2. Great shooter. Still had an imbalance. It was spinfusor or go home. That could have simply been fixed by resticting it to Jugs and Mediums. But it was what it was. At leas the core base assault was damn fun.

Then came what I would call PS2's successor. Not PS1, but Battlefield 2142. That game rocked. I played it for a few years before they shut down the servers. It was PS2 on a micro scale. But it had one thing that was just a little more sophisticated than PS2... Titan Mode. That game mode rocked. Big ships, king of the hill style base defense and attack on the ground. Keep enough to get the shields down on the enemy titan and you had a choice.. bombard it with the silos or storm the enemy ship and take down its core for a quick win.

Sometimes it took a combination of ground and air to accomplish the task. Was pretty damn epic to say the least. Oh and you could position the titan over some silos to provide bombardment (or protect from it). But at the risk of being closer to the missiles. Choices.. choices and more choices.

But then 2012 brought PS2. Large open world continents. Player driven meta. I have been spoiled by this game. I can't play the Counter Strikes, Call of Duty's, or the Battlefields anymore. They are arena shooters now. Not much different than Duke Nukem, Doom, and Quake. Just serious slightly larger versions of Team Fortress now. Nothing wrong with any game listed in this paragraph. But I have a fix and only PS2 provides that. It is what it is. And will be what it will be.

My only complaint about PS2? In all honesty? Is all of you. This game could literally be near perfection in my eyes if you all would stop whining about balance. Spend the effort you all make to actually find counters and utilize them. Both as effective teammates and cunning foes.
    • Up x 2
  6. Vanapapi

the post above mine

Damn right.

Due to unspoken reasons, i missed out on BF 2142 completely. I saw the trailer, and when i was ready to get involved, the game didn't exist anymore. I somewhat liked BF 1942 or whatever, which was great fun for it's time, and 2142 seemed like next level in same concept. However, the further in its series became larger versions of CoD series. (Apart from CoD 2, which was great for its time, CoD series as a whole is not my cup of tea). Planetside 2 was there to fill that empty space, though. (for my luck, when you read the next paragraph, i didn't know about Planetside until the 2nd was going to be released - not saying that the ppl are bad but how it affected them towards the newer planetside and how they now make valid points about what the new one lacks compared to the last, which to a newcomer seem like they make valid points to hate everything about anything associated instead)

And im right there with you, it's rarely the developers pissing me off, it's the community. Though, for me particularly, in Planetside 2, it's the PS1 worshipers that do. They are bashing the PS2 game to the ground just to make PS1 look better. Have any of you noticed that? How can that bring in any new customers in rather than push them away for obvious reasons? Even if, when critically reading what they have to say, it makes sense, the first glance (what MOST - like, 98% of gamers - do), however, makes everything associated seem UNRELIABLE and not make sense in the way it was meant!

So wtf ppl. Do you want to kill the game, or do you want to improve it? Please make up your mind already!

So yeah, what i like about the game is teamplay (NOT the teamplay how most ppl seem to misunderstand it but THE actual friggin teamplay), the sense of bigger picture and involvement. When playing in a squad/platoon lead by a pleasant charismatic leader who has a similar mindset, no other game can compete with this experience (and im really sad many ppl seem to never reach the same experience for reasons unknown...

-read further only if you dare-
    ...If to aproach this issue philosophically, all i can say i hope when they miss what i get to experience in deeper levels, then, analogously, i miss whatever they get to experience in their deeper levels, and so neither of us miss to experience the feeling of same equivalence in 2 different ends of the spectrum. And further, i'm really sad when ppl don't understand this philosophical deliberation, but happy if even just a few do understand, because in this case, there probably is no opposite spectrum to experience other than misapprehension)
    • Up x 1
  7. Vanapapi

If you read my previous comment's end, then this here should be a good example for maybe explaining a part of the other end of the spectrum fairly well.

In no connection to that my wanna-be philosophical discussion, the last sentence sums it up very nicely for me as a one of a kind reader. ^^
  8. Greiztoph

I play to kill stuff and kill some time mostly
  9. Hegeteus

Because it has been possible to find unique gameplay styles & weapons and break records. My current goal is to make mag-scatter have the largest kill record of PS2 sidearms and I'm actually pretty close to dethroning commissioner and I can't imagine people's reactions when/if that happens
  10. Taemien

The issue with the PS1 fans is just denial. Their game failed. It sucks, the gunplay is ridiculous (seriously, the rounds come out like its a blunderbuss), the inventory system is convoluted (you have so much flexibility that you lose focus and see people laying things everywhere.. and not participating in the fight.. but the fight -might- come over here in a few hours...), and the flow of battle is too slow.

If PS1 was good. It would still be so. Age is NO excuse. Look to Everquest. Everquest 2 didn't kill it. In fact Everquest a 16 year old game has more people running around on a new progression server than all PC servers in PS2 combined. Not bad. Why couldn't PS1 do that? Don't give me that sh-t about content. I just said PROGRESSION server which means Everquest.. with the content of 1999 is doing rather well.

You are dead right about the teamplay experience with a Charismatic Leader. One that motivates you to play a part in the bigger picture. You're playing as part of a team and your efforts make the whole do better and conquer everything before you. But many players never experience it, even despite being one keypress away from it.

They lonewolf it, and then when they are beaten, they don't have motivation or a feeling of being apart of something bigger. They feel their own failure and feel no other recourse. But society being what it is, has always told them they are special, that they can never fail because they tried, that they will always be taken care of. So they go to the forums to complain, hoping the Devs will fill in the void left by their parents, their teachers, and their government when they entered into a competitive environment for the first time.

And why wouldn't they? Its worked for them for the last 20-30 years of their life. Why not now? Well you and I know the answer to that question. But they don't. Not on a subconscious level. But the reasonings for that is beyond the scope of this thread.. and probably these forums.

Instead better prepared (mentally anyway) know that you just adapt and overcome. And thats what really separates the casual and the hardcore. Not a matter of time played, or even seriousness taken to the game. You're either competitive or your not.
  11. Colonelveers12

On Waterson: Platoon Leading
    On Emerald : Valkyrie
    Pretty much sums up my planetside2 career.
  12. JohnGalt36

• Up x 2
  13. TheFlamingLemon

Because when you do stuff like this

It feels like this

14. SarahM

Large scale combined arms warfare in a non-realistic setting.

Also freedom of movement: Aside from ARMA series, no other FPS game I know provides such great opportunities for flanking on a strategic scale. Even BF maps seem small and cramped in comparision.
  15. Laja

In MMO games I enjoy objective-related PVP the most, that's how I got here. In this game we have only awesome PVP :)
  16. JobiWan

It's very addictive. Even some nights when I'm not really enjoying I just keep playing.

I have a stack of other games that I could play but I seem to just keep coming back to PS2 because there's nothing like it.
  17. Nifa92k

gg for 3 years XD
  18. DRGoodfellow

Its simple really

1. No forcing to spend real life money to make you better than 90% of the other non paying customer - resulting in a
    game closing fast due to low population - You have an option and never feel like calling someone a wallet warrior or P2W
    etc etc

2. New games come out - we play them we get bored very fast due to the clone and shop effects

3. The person that thought this game up was basically a genius and created a game that in theory could go on for
    ever

4. In the future I can see more continents and more updates

The only annoying thing I find is - The game imo is one of the best PVP, TDM, KOH etc types that many people have yet
    discover and once they do they wont be going back to the now ruined series of COD (COD 1 & 2 were large maps not
    4 houses and 2 hallways) and other similar games

Lets just hope the owners don't do the same as many other great games out their (Shaiya, AIKA etc) and start getting
    greedy with the money income - As far as I can tell people are buying plenty of the shop items which really doesn't
    effect the non paying peoples gameplay. So please for the love of gaming don't go down the greed road and ruin a
    great game
  19. pnkdth

Nothing quite like it. One of those games which might not be a constant adrenaline fuelled high, but those highs are worth looking for when PS2 deliver them, it is f***ing awesome.

Pushing through with armour, getting that parkour moment kill streak with a LA or infiltrator, gal drops, intense point holds, and massive footzergs.

Played since beta, no plans to stop. In fact, only thing which is stopping me from playing right now is my GPU gave up 3 days ago.
  20. Vanapapi

Many ppl really don't know about this game. I'm surprised this game is not advertised much. Ppl find it only by chance, really.

What makes this game different is it's actual massive scale. Many games are referred to as "massive" nowadays, but they all feel like "massive" scam instead - since when is 32-64 players in small instance based arenas considered a Massive online experience? ***** and giggles, really. :)