Is TR using anything but Gatekeepers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkWingGB, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Jubikus

Thats because people keep comparing them because of their similarities ignoring the fact that AI and AV have drastically different things that make them ok.
    • Up x 2
  2. HAXTIME

Gatekeeper must be made a clear choice for long range engagements, but currently it is slightly overperfoming at shorter ranges as well. Consider the following pool:
    • Vulcan for close-mid range
    • Halberd for any range, especially mid (take movement and real-life scenarios into consideration)
    • Gatekeeper for mid-long range
    The issue is that the Gatekeeper - while performing exceptionally at long range - is also a very powerful mid-, or heck, even a close-range weapon. It's raw damage output should be slightly (onlyslightly) compensated, so that for any engagement distances except long-range it is no longer the most obvious choice.

So that you need to make a choice depending on the situations you expect, and not just nobrainer for a Gatekeeper onto your vehicle.

Also, it's way too easy for long-range combat right now. It doesn't need its long-range capabilities stripped even marginally, but it should require "more" skill to use. This is a very delicate part because with a little practice the weapon should perform as reliably as it does now without virtually any practice.

I suggest either:
    • significantly increase reload time, or
    • moderately reduce mag size, or
    • slightly increase drop, or
    • marginally reduce damage and/or RoF,
    but it must remain an exemplar of a long-range AV weapon. TR needs it desperately. Do not touch its cone of fire or CoF bloom.
  3. HAXTIME

The Magrider is way more mobile than the Prowler, even despite its inferior cruising speed. And that's without the Magburner, which is just friggin' awesome.
  4. Garedar

One change to the mag-rider might bring this floating eggshell up to speed. Speed up the strife. Maybe the mag-rider should be able to strife at top speed and has no main gun turret. i see the other faction like to default to "but the mag can go anywhere". Well all factions have access to a Harasser. And for the most part a 3 man crew in a harasser or 2 is a much better choice over a Mag-rider.

So why not every time we hear a complaint about the mag-rider we just respond with "Have you driven a Harasser lately?"
    Really someone make the commercial
    And I had to log into a never played TR toon and check out the Gate keeper. And yep that is a weapon made right. I did piss off many of my outfit members. But i had to demonstrate to them that a bear bones harasser with a GK parked over a hex away behind cover can effectively stop enemy vehicle advancement.
    my only regret was not recording as the unexpectedly tried to flak TR lines with an Mag-rider Lightning column. None of them had any idea what had really happened. Its fairly obvious to me playing on the TR side for about an hour the real Advantage the TR have. Hey its really clear if you just listen to the Gate Keepers firing almost none stop .
  5. johnway

TBH having played as all sides i don't see many gatekeeper users. Maybe the odd one here and there but i never saw the herds of GK welding tanks. being on the receiving end i didn't experience much of a threat as i expect. It was never as epedemic as the ZOE where they were absolutely everywhere, became staple and had few or weaknesses of consequence.

but the point i;m making is that i don't get into discussion about GK as i know so little about using them. So thus i've been wasting everyones time.
    • Up x 1
  6. Flag

Me neither, because you can still break out from that if you know what you're doing.

That aside, both weapons (past PPA, current GK) share the problem of vastly out-ranging their competition without really giving up much for it.
  7. Jubikus

Were just going to have to agree to disagree your set in your opinion on the one advantage the weapon has not being ok despite its statistical performance being subpar on prowler and only the very slightest higher than the Enforcer on Harasser. Your Opinion on what range a weapon should be effective at means nothing if it hinders the ability for the weapon to perform as needed. Once again you ignore the difference between AV and AI 2 gatekeepers arnt going to keep a 24-48 locked into a spawn room like the PPA did the PPA was nerfed because its range allowed for this. Now did the PPA deserve the nerf well no it didnt because the locking into spawn rooms was a base design issue i just also know that when faced with the option to tweak some numbers to nerf the problem weapon or do base overhauls so they arnt garbage well we already know they went with the easier option not the one that would make the game better.
  8. Flag

Statistically the PPA was underperforming slightly to the Marauder and Cannister. ... if you ignore total kills, where it reigned supreme.
    Likewise, the GK performs on level or slightly sub-par individually (debatable), but it's used a helluvalot more and kills a lot more total. Sounds familiar?
  9. Jubikus

Yeah it shouldnt have been nerfed like i said the issue people had was a PPA could lock down spawn which only happened because Bases especially back then were designed like ****.
  10. Flag

Still doesn't take away from the circumstances around the PPA that eventually ruined the gun (in fact, you'd think having seen what happened to the PPA would make TR more inclined to finding a solution that doesn't leave the GK as borked).
    PPA was nerfed mainly because of the -long range- advantage (which it didn't really pay for in other areas like damage output or splash radius/damage), for the sheer number of them in use and for how loud people whined about it.

All 3, well except the last one (the ppa whine dwarfs the gk one) are shared between them. Removing either gun leaves a fairly well defined ratio of damage and accuracy between the different weapons. PPA was the oddball that was flat out 'more' than the competition, and now the GK shares the same position in relation to the rest of the comparable weapons.
  11. toast2250

Ppl got locked in spawns because of the PPA?

Ppl get locked in spawns because almost always there is a giant fraking zerg out there.
  12. Dualice

Ah, another GK thread.

How refreshing :D
  13. DeadlyOmen

PS2: Crybullies have more respect than people who want the experience to be challenging.
  14. NXR1

Anybody who claims the gatekeeper is overpowered is just a fool, the new NC top gun is much better and I'm not sure about the vanu one cause vanu can never manage to hit anything with it, but its not too much of a surprised...its vanu....
  15. NXR1

As a primary TR player who is always around massive armor formations i see more people with halberds than GK's and harrasers pull vulcans over it too, its really not very good i don't see why people complain about it
  16. Mongychops

Average hours of Playtime with Av secondaries over past 30 days:

Prowler:

Halberd: 46.4
    Vulcan: 46.1
    GK: 220

Harasser:

Halberd: 16.2
    Vulcan: 84.5
    GK: 155.7

So, on the Harasser the GK is used nearly twice as much as the Vulcan, and on the Prowler, the GK is used more than double the Halberd and Vulcan put together...

If it sucks as much as your say, it's lucky for the other factions that apparently ~70% of Prowler usage is by idiots.
  17. breeje

you can all stop arguing, the GK is nerfed and will soon be on live