Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Gundem

Just wanted to confirm after a long "discussion" with some particularly fun forumsiders that DPS does indeed not always equal TTK.

Specifically, the discussion was that the Barrage's DPS was a positive factor to consider over the Jackhammer's. While I do understand that there's a lot more to it, the argument was about TTK vs DPS. My claim was that while the Barrage indeed has the same DPS, it's TTK is faster due to alpha damage and RoF.

Yes, yes, I know I'm probably getting trolled. Why do I even go to the PS4 forums.

And yes, I know I'm crazy, we all know that. But am I "crazy" crazy?
  2. breeje

well i don't know about the TTK vs DPS (i am sure someone will help you without trolling)
    but if you say your crazy, think your crazy then you must be cra................

first troll, sorry could not help myself
    • Up x 1
  3. Jubikus

nah your right a bolt action siper rifle typically has really low DPS but its potential TTK is pull of the trigger.
    • Up x 1
  4. GhostAvatar

Problem with TTK, is that it always assumes a target with flat health value and no armor slot. Which is not always the case. So either is acceptable when comparing weapons of any kind.
  5. Gundem

Which I considered, and indeed is a valid point for the standard shotguns vs Jackhammer. But that wasn't the discussion, it was if DPS was directly coordinated with TTK, which was the point I was disputing. With the example of, Weapon A deals 250 damage, Weapon B deals 333 damage, at x RoF they both have y TTK because they take the same number of shots to kill, even though Weapon B technically has higher DPS.
  6. Gundem

Boy, I know I'm crazy.
    • Up x 1
  7. WeRelic

I'd say they're correlated, but only very loosely. In most cases DPS has little bearing on TTK, and vice versa.
  8. zaspacer

You are right that Alpha Damage is not factored into DPS and so can make a big difference with most Weapons. Other factors are # hits to Kill/Destroy target (the fewer that number, the more impactful Alpha Strike is), RPM (the higher the RPM, the lower the time bonus from Alpha Damage), number of Reloads to Kill/Destroy target, reaction time of target to begin evasion or employ mitigation or Health recovery, etc.

As Jubikus said, the Alpha Damage on a 1-headshot kill from a Sniper Rifle makes the Sniper Rifles DPS number meaningless. But if you're talking about the Alpha Damage of a Mosquito Locust on a Galaxy, the DPS is the biggest factor and the Alpha Damage is trivial.
  9. Demigan

The Jackhammer has a lower damage on the first shot, but has the same ROF and can increase that ROF with the 3-round burst.

So it depends, are you in that small gap where you did a OHK with the Barrage and didn't do enough damage with the Jackhammer, or did the Barrage need a 2-hit kill and the Jackhammer was on it's burst mode?
  10. Iridar51

DPS and TTK are different. And yes, in some cases higher DPS can have longer TTK.

A very obvious example: a bolt action rifle with (let's say) 1000 damage per shot has TTK of 0. But because of low RoF of 60 rounds per minute, it has DPS of 1000.

And a semi auto rifle with 800 damage per shot and 800 RoF will have DPS of 10 666 but TTK of 0.075 seconds.

A more down-to-earth example: 200 @ 500 guns vs 143 @ 698 guns.

200 damage gun will have DPS of 1667, and 143 damage gun will have almost the same DPS of 1663.

But 200 gun will have TTK of 0.48 and 143 gun will have TTK of 0.52.

Comparing TTK and DPS of shotguns though is another matter. It's pretty much pointless, because shotguns almost never do their full DPS because of the pellet spread, nor can you afford to uphold maximum rate of fire, because the price of a miss is very high, and shotguns have extreme bloom that you don't want to get.

So the Barrage vs Jackhammer debate is entirely academic. In real play, Jackhammer is a clear winner, because it can almost instantly dispatch even shielded heavies. Extreme power and good accuracy due to best pellet spread, and a quick reload on top of that.
  11. Garedar

Over kill? Is there an easy way to see how much of that last shot was needed?

Firm grip, Sight picture, bullet placement, breathing, steady aim, and trigger squeeze.

Light Bulb!Start you own BRM training course. A offer live personal trainer courses.
  12. Kanil

I'd like to emphasize this. Shotguns never get their ideal DPS, and when if they do, then whatever one you're using is completely irrelevant, because the target is dead.

As for the Jackhammer vs default semi, it depends on firing modes. Semi auto, there's not that much between them -- Jackhammer probably has a slight edge. If you use the three round burst, then you're turning your Jackhammer into a pump action shotgun. If you think PAs are viable weapons, then the Jackhammer's pretty nice. If you think PAs are bad, then there's no point in three round bursting and it goes back to being pretty close.