Base Design.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Dec 19, 2015.

1. AlterEgo

When you have...
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...676/54DCBB6DE2B6FBAAD7BC8A2B0C6A354D1C316BF4/ (tanks on the same level as towers) and...
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...239/2F351AE6590F969531178A845A21BA0ABD6731B1/ (hills overlooking your base), you get...
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...706/036894A2875EAF53BCABC2AB012D215152920F8E/
    Killed.

If bases were designed to be larger and more open, and MAYBE not as prone to being camped by ground vehicles, around 60-70% of the complaints we have now would be gone. Be it Esamir, or the freaking jungles of Hossin, we need a redesign of entire parts of the map. I've seen news lately that have shown the devs' work on the matter, and while it makes me happy, I hope it comes soon.
    • Up x 10
  2. Crayv

Base design is one of if not the major downside of this game.

[IMG]
    Way too many bases are like this. The attackers can easily climb the walls surrounding the spawn rooms and camp the defenders, yet the defenders can't climb up it? WHY?

The teleporter in most of the spawns lead to another exposed room that is a grenades throw away. Then there is the fact that from those two rooms the defenders have to go through a choke point to simply get to the control points. Then the cherry on top of that is the attackers can usually deploy a sundy closer to the points than the defenders spawn is from them and have more areas to get to said points.

Basically most bases look like this:

[IMG]

What is really depressing about all of this is people are so used to bases easily falling that they complain about how "un-cap'able" a base is if it requires more than 51% pop to take.

Most of the bases if the attackers had to spawn at the base spawn room and the defenders had sundies you would see swarms of people claiming how impossible it would be to take a base.
    • Up x 12
  3. AlterEgo

I usually do not do this... but if there's one thing I have to give PS1, it's that bases were INCREDIBLY open. As in, courtyards, uniform terrain, the nonexistence of bases on mountains, and plenty of other intelligent decisions. The devs might as well turn Planetside 2 into Planetfield (insert x number here) if they emphasize CQC to the current extent. There's a difference between exciting close quarters situations and outright FPS-draining killfests.
    • Up x 1
  4. Crayv

What little I have played of PS1 it's that the terrain was made for a FPS to played on it. In PS2 it feels like they made the terrain to be pretty first and then made a few tweaks here and there for actual game play.

In PS1 a building had a platform on it gave the defenders a high ground but also gave the attackers a place to do air drops on. In PS2 it can provide for airdrops but there is a higher hill a short distance away that allows the attackers to farm any defenders who dare go up there. Example: how often is the roof on spawn rooms ever use?
    • Up x 1
  5. FateJH

They're not all airtight like that. Caer, Forseral can be bombarded by vehicles from the hills surrounding it and Sungrey, Amerish has that notorious mountain range just immediately south which is perfect for sniping Infantry as they try to get to the capture point on top the building or Infantry and Vehicle at the spawn pad which is on the same side of the base. Many bases on Ishundar also present good "outside can shoot inside" opportunities, as do bases in south Esamir. As far as bases "on mountains" are concerned, a few Searhus bases are so isolated from each other around the rim of the volcano that they can't be accessed by anything but a single uphill road on the ground or a flying Vehicle.
  6. Liewec123

the thing i find most hilarious/irritating about SoE's base design is the position of the capture points in relation to the spawn room,
    the prefect example of GOOD base design would be old Crown, all 3 points were ontop of the hill, it was the focus of many epic battles lasting several hours.
    a perfect example of BAD base design is the new crown, they stick 2 of the 3 capture points in random locations distant from the spawn room giving enemies a significant advantage.
  7. TheKaiksTrainspotter

Half off topic, but there is an annoying base on Hossin, nearby the northern biolab where the spawn room is in the wrong hex (should this comment come to the attention of anyone with some status in the game (design/ code) I will be very surprised)
  8. breeje

now why do you draw such a obscene picture twice, children are watching this :eek:
  9. Obscura

Oh thats just a mushroom children! nothing more!
    • Up x 6
  10. Demigan

Even if children understood it, it wouldn't mean a thing to them.

Here's a nice example. All that children see is 8 dophins, but I know for certain that you see something else entirely. That's because children aren't busy with sex, and even when they are it does not impact them negatively in the slightest... unless their environment makes it out to be bad.

[IMG]
  11. R1N4

sure one problem is base design. Not to little Problem sure.

Another Problem is that defenders rarely get that they can spawn one base back and recharge into battle with some vehicles and new spawn options in form of sunderers. This will often eliminate the pressure on spawn rooms.

But like i agreed - Base design is not the best
    • Up x 1
  12. Crayv

Funny fact. For this one lego game (I forget its name) the devs tried to make a "phallus detector". Turns out it is near impossible as it is such an simple shape so they had to give up.
    I would imagine most of the kids that play this game also play Minecraft, which has an enemy called a Creeper, it looks like a walking green Dalton (I like this game's profanity filter).
    • Up x 1
  13. Greiztoph

Base design has come a long way in many regards however they also like it to look pretty instead of practical in many regards
  14. Crayv

Except that is not defending, that is attacking a base that you hold.

Also if you do this you better have equal or greater numbers of tanks or your assault will fail. It's pretty telling when the main strategy to "defend" is to attack the base so the attackers are now basically defending a base because it takes more people to defend than to attack. It means the only reliable tactic in this game is "attack attack attack" there is no having a few squads hold a line while the rest of the platoon takes a different base while the enemy is distracted. It is redeploy attack a base, redeploy, attack a base you hold, and then redeploy to another base once the attackers have been wiped out.
    • Up x 3
  15. WeRelic

I'd like to know who the strategic mastermind was that put 90% of the bases in valleys... Brilliant!

I lol'd.

Twice.
    • Up x 3
  16. Stopper

I usually like the base design, especially on Hossin and Amerish, but it's totally true that bases on a valley surrounded by hills from where it can be spammed by tanks and lightnings is a total non-sense !

Bases like Xenotech Labs could be very good and offer good infantry fights if they weren't so spammable by tanks.

Also, as OP said also, bases where only attackers can climb the spawn's surroundings is a non-sense (defenders never thought of stairs ?), like the two spawns of Shadespire farm...

Third point, in no case, tanks, especially Lighnings and Harassers,, AND Magriders, shouldn't be allowed to go Inside bases.
  17. AxiomInsanity87

Lol well played.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

I think Crux is good.

It has a decent size so things don't stagnate (unless farming at C) and the terrain around the outside varies with a lot of cover.

Shame that it is all about C though lol.
  19. Bruhja

Any PS1ers remember these things they used to have called "doors" they had several features
    1. they opened
    2. they closed
    3. they locked

It was such an amazing concept
    • Up x 3
  20. Armcross

Sadly because of bad latency it would not work here.