[Suggestion] Merge Connery and Emerald

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by n0pax, Dec 9, 2015.

1. n0pax

Player population is at a record low and the bleeding shows no signs of stopping, if anything it is speeding up. I propose DBG merges the 2 remaining NA servers into one with a datacenter relocated in either Chicago or Dallas.

Let this game have a few months of large battles before the servers empty out like PS1! The game is dying and will likely be shutdown in 2016, all we ask for is enjoyment during its final months.
    • Up x 1
  2. KirthGersen

Merge Miller and Cobalt too pls!
    • Up x 1
  3. Taemien

Before anyone posts dishonest opinions on overpopulation, lag, or overcrowding. Everyone should know these facts:

1. Servers dynamically spread populations out. Queues* ensure continents don't get too full. In addition continents unlock dynamically. So when server pops are high THREE continents will be unlocked instead of just Two. In addition full on fights on a continent do NOT cause rendering issues elsewhere on the continent.

2. Populations of Emerald and Connery added together DO NOT equate to the population numbers they have once had (same thing applies to Miller and Cobalt).

3. Latency is not an issue. Many players on Connery are East Coast (myself included) and we've never experienced issues. I assume West Coast players have similar experiences on Emerald. Of course any issue can easily be mitigated by hosting in the midwest.
    • Up x 3
  4. Tortricat

I suggested the same on here. I don't think the developers are listening, maybe they don't even care, the PS4 servers also need to be merged, there are too many and none of them even hit medium/high population anymore.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/connery-and-emerald-need-to-be-merged.235570/

I also suggested some solutions to help gain more players.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-a-new-game-ps2-is-dying.235528/#post-3313899

I fear planetside 2 is in a constant slow decline, I am at 671 hours played so far, I wanna get at least 2000-2500 before the game dies. I fear the game only has 1-3 years left at around the same populations levels it is at now, after one of these time frames there will be an even sharper decline if they don't do something and add more new content to bring players back. The only way they will get more people is if they add more world content.

As I suggested, there should be a special huge map every week that every person plays on, you will play on this special map on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, which ever faction wins gets a cert bonus for the rest of the week. All these maps will be huge warzones all on one continent. This would be a good first step in bringing people back, they would be cool weekly events, new map every week once enough world content is developed.
  5. Armcross

As long as there would be Planetside 3 Im ok
  6. customer548

What for ?
    Miller is slightly more populated than Cobalt is.
    Cobalt provides enough zergy "big batlles" during day and especially during prime time. I doubt that it would be different on Miller.
    I don't really see the real benefit of any merge. My own opinion is that it would only bring bigger zergs and possibly a higher latency. Those 2 factors will not bring back players who already left the game.
  7. n0pax

Honestly the Cobalt and Miller numbers are both slightly below Emerald which needs a merge and has prompted this thread. That said those two servers are considerably larger than Connery however a merge between those sized servers is not without precedence. When Emerald was created Waterson and Mattherson were both slightly larger than Cobalt and Miller are today.
  8. Taemien

This right here.

Both Helios and Genudine had more numbers than Connery and Emerald do today before their merges. As well as Helios and Connery when they merged.

Post merge both times (I started on Genudine), it led to some really interesting paradigm shifts. For example on Genudine, NC was king. Period. So much that TR and VS had to ally.. not unofficially... but actual outfit MOTDs said there was an alliance. Helios made that a bit tougher for the NC (especially since the alliance carried over). And then Connery it finally swapped around.