[Vehicle] Harasser vs Lightning

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AZAN, Nov 30, 2015.

1. AZAN

Hey, been playing for a few weeks now since coming back from a break from the game. I am just wondering what people think of the harasser, because currently I see it eclipsing the lightning quite heavily.

Both vehicles seem to take a similar number of hits to destroy with rockets, but the harasser is extremely hard to hit with most high damage weapons given how fast it is. The harasser also seems to be able to rip lightnings to pieces pretty rapidly. Having played a bit as a gunner in a mjolnir harasser, lightnings or even MBT's are relatively easy prey in a 1v1 situation.

Aside from the skyguard, is there any point to the lightning any more, aside from just being a 1 player tank (which is in my opinion an inferior system to 2 player gunner system anyway).

I would probably suggest a reduction in toughness on the harasser, I really don't think it should be able to survive multiple AP rounds.
  2. Pikachu

Lightning:
    Give passive stealth.
    Make a little bit bigger so it looks like 2 crew members could fit in it. Then add a hull mounted kobalt. Yes.
    • Up x 1
  3. Campagne

From an NC perspective, while in a harasser lightnings are generally easy prey, if they do not have an AP cannon.

Trying to use a Mjolnir is suicide, due to needing to shove it up their *** to have a chance to do real damage, and an Enforcer or Halberd while much better options, simply lack the DPS against highly-skilled AP lightnings. (Which most "career" players are.)

Additionally, lightnings can practically out-run harassers, making repairs effectively suicide/impossible.
  4. Taemien

Lightning will raze a Harasser to the ground.

That is unless the passengers of the Harasser pop out and turn out to have Deci's.
    • Up x 1
  5. repairtool6

A decent tanker with upgraded lighting will eat and demolish harassers all day. no excuses.

Look......Lightnings are probably the most used and at the same time most neglected vehicle in the game?
    What i mean is that everybody will pull a few and try them out but very few actually cert up all the upgrades for them. They rather upgrade mbts etc..

This is a bad mistake a lot of players do imo...

In any big fight with lots of vehicles there is probably a few maxed mbt's, a few maxed harassers, some maxed Battle-sundies but also a LOT of plain stock lightnings. Yes these Lightnings die like flies and also are prey for harassers but that is just because of neglect and incompetence, not that the Lightning is 'useless' or outdated..
    • Up x 3
  6. breeje

If I meet a fully upgraded lightning in my fully upgraded haresser it's the on with the best aim that wins the fight
    • Up x 2
  7. Kanil

Lightnings are stronger than Harassers and require less people to use. My Lightning gunner is always online when I am, my Harasser gunner not so much...
  8. Towie

Although overall i'm agreeing, the biggest challenge is actually hitting a well driven Harasser. Many of the Harasser weapons are not one-hit-wonders so they can be a bit more forgiving with misses; a Lightning really needs to land those hits (not always as easy as it sounds with a writhing, super fast buggy to hit).

I do have a racer 3 loadout specifically for chasing Harassers - when they stop to repair, it's farewell. If only it would turn a bit better - the thing has the turning circle of the Titanic :eek:
    • Up x 1
  9. Daigons

From what I've personally seen while gunning for TR/VS Harassers and while fighting Harassers, a fully stealthed Harasser with a engineer gunner will always tear apart Lightenings, MBTs and Sundys. A two man harasser may not take out a undamaged vehicle in one pass, but the Harasser has the ability to rep on the run so they can get into position for the next attack run.

The most deadly combination that I've seen is a Harasser teamed up with a Wraith Flash. After the first Harasser pass, the Wraith sneaks up to the Lightning to read the situation. They either kill the engineer that is trying to repair the Lightning or they unload their nades into the hind side of Lightning who is distracted with tracking down the Harasser.

A flanking attack of a wolf pack of 2-4 Harassers is very deadly.
  10. Shockwave44

Not even close.

Because of how weak it is.

Good, now you know how not to play. Should the harasser not be able to kill anything?

I'm guessing you play solo or are very far away from other teammates when you get killed by harassers.

Yeah, I don't think so. That's already been done.

You seem to be very vague in your assumptions. How many is 'multiple' to you because it can't take more than 3 hits from AP rounds.

Harasser drivers are very good at singling out the weak ones. They also hunt in packs. Notice how almost every vehicle destroyed is by itself.
  11. Taemien

One of the reasons a harasser can be so effective is the community on a whole is easily trolled. They can break rank and lose sight of their objective at the drop of a hat. Get behind enemy lines with a harasser and cause a ruckus. You can nearly singlehandedly (even a 1/3 harasser can do this) cause a good chunk of their forces to hang back to deal with you.. causing their main push to be weaker and fail.

All you have to do is read these forums. Watch what people are complaining about and use that to your advantage.

For example, Gatekeepers. People are livid about these things right now. If you're playing TR, use them. Use them on Infantry. Yeah they aren't as effective as Vulcans, Marauders, Kobalts, or even Walkers for AI work. But use them anyway. Everyone hears about how bad GK's are, they read about it, they hear it in proxy, outfit, squad, and platoon chats. And then when they get nailed by one, they're blood pressure tips over. Trick is to get some quick kills.

Then do it again to the same people.

Move and repeat until you have 2-3 squads working against you. If you have a 2/3 harasser, and have 12-24 players chasing you. You won the base.

If players wish to insert their emotions into the game, I say exploit it.
    • Up x 1
  12. Krinsee

Harraser combines a few too many built in advantages that no other vehicles have for their nanite cost.

AP weapons actually do 4% LESS damage to a harraser as it has a 4% resistance to AP weapons.
    Built in Burner for fast escapes, good acceleration and turn radius by default.

All I see that needs tweeked on them to bring them more into line is the removal of the AP resistance and a possible 4-5% weakness to it. So 2 AP rounds will remove it to balance out it's mobility advantage.

OR remove it's built in afterburner and make it a utility option as with the other vehicles. (Flash and Magrider)
  13. Vaphell

right, it can only tank 2 consecutive AP rounds or 3 HEAT and still turbo the **** out to safety, all while not having to deal with the concept of a weak spot. It's so weak that AT mines are more dangerous to it than tanks.

Should the harassers be able to go for a trade and win against more expensive vehicles while still having the option to bail when things don't go their way? Which part of it implies "harasser" from the name?

So the mech game is all about mech blobs hugging together and shivering at mere thought of meeting a pickup truck in their path and harassers doing whatever the **** they want. Got it.

Lightning can die to 2 MBT AP rounds in the *** and it's a brick that isn't going to disappear at the drop of the hat like the harassers can. What, their superior 'evasion' stat that makes accuracy against them outside the point blank range fall through the floor doesn't count either? Good luck hitting one that spins ridiculous donuts at 100m+ away and at the same time plinks your *** with an accurate, easy mode spam weapon like gk or aphelion at least three times.
  14. LodeTria

It takes 3 HEAT rounds to kill a harasser, same as AP. Only HE has 1 extra hit to kill.
  15. Vaphell

In VR but in the game there is that "press F to restore a bunch of hp" thingie. I pretty much never land 3 consecutive shots so I remember very that one of very few times where I did, in an ungodly bumpy Amerish terrain where I lost the track where up and down are trying to track the bastard... It still lived, 3 HEAT were not enough and it bailed. Needless to say i was not amused because if i missed only one of these shots they would stay and gobble me no problem. My completely baseless assumption is that AP x3 doesn't leave room for fire suppression.
    4 shots in real world scenarios is outright ridiculous, given that let's say vulcan can melt your *** in half the time. Sure tanks also run fire sup, but harassers get a guaranteed 2s+ bonus to life expectancy in situation like the one i described.
  16. Shockwave44

You mean they're playing to the harassers one main advantage? No way!

Ok genius, who would drive a harasser if it could be killed with one shot from behind? The entire harasser is one giant weak spot.

Get better or don't drive alone. Pretty simple.

Other people have figured out how to kill harassers in tanks so I'm not sure what your excuse is.

So you think because something costs more, it should be a guaranteed win every time.

Right, because only people in harassers can bail...

So the lighting actually shoots lightning out of the barrel...

About time you did. It's team game, not 'call of do whatever you want'.

If a harasser gets behind you, there would be no reason for them to leave because you're already dead.

I showed you my video. Now it's time to show me yours so I can point out everything you're doing wrong. It's not the harassers, it's you.
  17. Imp C Bravo

Lightnings are only slightly stronger than Harassers. Slower. Slightly less agile. And bigger/easier to hit. Problem is -- as you said -- only one person is needed to use a lightning. That one person has to do the driving AND the gunning. They can't maintain terrain awareness as well as shoot as well as the harasser who has the jobs split. Hence the harasser is going to have better aim and driving because the driver can look at the road/area around and focus on driving while the gunner doesn't have to focus on driving and can focus fully on shooting. Oh and, in movement repping...
  18. Lazarusxt

If your taking damage from Aphelion at range you might need to see a doctor about the blackouts you've been experiencing... Next you going to be posting about Stealth Fury Flashes taking you out ><
  19. Plastikfrosch

the lightning is still a valid option especially when you are on your own but yes, as a two man crew in a harrasser its easy to rip appart lightnings but it is a 2 against 1 fight so it makes sense.
    MBTs are another thing. Vulcan-harrassers have a good chance, especially if you manage do drive under a magrider he cant reach you while you can rip him appart but with enforcer or saron you are pretty lost against the mbts as long as the gunners have some aim. but even here the harrasser has better chances than the lightning thanks to the better agility and speed.
  20. Vaphell

Fury flashes? They have to be really close and given that I did that **** a lot I can easily pick the sound in proximity. Unless it's a finisher, next to no chance.

Also what does my supposed blackout have to do with me getting hit at midlongish range with a not so innacurate weapon? Especially the charged shot is dead accurate and has a big hitbox. As long as I don't land consecutive hits which i don't they just circle and plink till i am done or they run out of ammo, whichever comes first. Even a 20% accurate spray is better than having 1 try every 2-3 seconds and having to land 3 hits.