base turrets too weak

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Multispastic, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Multispastic

These things are everybody's target so should be tougher offensively ...its a big dedicated anti tank gun but today i shot down upon a sunderer 7 shots in the side and i still died before he did....it feels like a pea shooter...

Also maxes are ****** should be 99-100% resistant to small arms.
  2. Leftconsin

Xiphos is bad. Xiphos is so bad I'd believe that most players have never been killed by one. There will never be love for that turret.
  3. EPIC389

The reason xiphos is bad is not only because its bad(don't question my logic just accept it) but its also rare.
  4. RedArmy

it basically fires a vanguard 150mm HEAT round. not the best, but by far not the worst
  5. Benton582

......*sigh*
    1. The sunderer probably had composite armor and engineers healing it. And of course you would die first.
    2. Maxes would be practically be UNDEFEATABLE. ARE YOU STUPID? 99-100? GOOD LUCK KILLING THAT.
  6. Weterman

OFCOURSE YOU WILL DIE IF YOU ARE EVERYONE'S TARGET

Don't try to make things op just so the game is on easy mode.
  7. WeRelic

They're in a decent spot to be honest. They're a threat to aggressors and a boon to defenders, but not absolutely devastating, and they aren't the primary means of defence, just a supplement.

The Xiphos OTOH, could use some more spotlight. I don't think I've ever seen someone die to one, and I know I've never been in one during my collective 175 battle ranks.

They do need to remove the auto repair once the turret gets destroyed though. If it's destroyed, it's safe to assume that it's repair module is also destroyed.
  8. Jubikus

Base turrets are weak because people have forgotten and stopped using them how they were implemented. Base turrets are basically mounted tank cannons that dont have the drawback of costing you resources this is why they are weaker than a tank they are free. The second part of it is they are hardly ever alone most bases that have base turrets have at least 2 that can have interlocking fields of fire this is the bases that have 2 towers and 1 gun on each tower or the tower bases that have 4, 1 facing in each direction but still have overlap then you have amp station and tech plants which have rows of them. Turrets arnt meant to be a 1 man show get a couple of them firing and they can cause havok and sure they are easy targets and usually the first targets but do to their proximity to a spawn or amount of them they can usually be supported by engineers. Of course they do have weaknesses even when used in a coordinated fashion like snipers killing the engineers and then tanks rolling over them but everything in the game has counters.
    • Up x 1
  9. Diilicious

I love base turrets, ive made many threads about the xiphos turret, the devs and player base alike just dont care about them, if their cone of fire got removed (which is should, i mean phalanx spear turrets can thread a needle that was on the horizon, but Xiphos can only hit a prowler at 20 paces 5 out of 20 times.

the spear phalanx turret was the first thing in the game I got an auraxium with. since i normally run alone, unless a select few people are online, Heres what I do.

just be aware that turrets are always the first thing to go, which can give you a boon if you use this technique.

Get a repair sunderer, maxed out if you can. drive it near to the turret you want to use and deploy it (dont have to deploy but if you die you can get back there quickly) you now have a regenerating HP turret, with this method you get certs and money even if you take damage, its a double win, if people spawn from your sunderer its a triple win.

get in the turret, normally people are like "TURRET! FREE XP AND KILL!" but when they find that you are basically invulnerable (lightnings and 1/2 MBTs do not stand a chance) you can see their smile turning upside down, the regret flooding in as they meekly reverse away from your turret futiliy.

If you do this with Aspis turrets you can soak tankbuster clips from liberators no problem, if you are paying attention you will kill them long before they get you, ESF's stand no chance at all.

If the turret dies (which it will frequently even with high auto repairs) go back to the sunderer, move it out of range of the turret shell, and then back into range to start auto repairs again. the enemy will normally see the shimmer of repairs starting and keep hammering the dead turret shell for a while, raining free money down. if you repair the shell with your repair tool as well then it flies up, you can normally out repair enemy damage if you do this when its health is low.

then get back in, most of the enemies dont focus turrets for very long, (because lets face it, they arent interesting to fight) as such, by the time you can get back in, everyone is already distracted by something else and you can proceed to nail them again, raking in the money from taking and dishing out damage at the same time.

Sadly no amount of auto repair will save a xiphos turret. i mean if you ever have to defend Elli ampstation in the south of Esamir, good luck, the north turrets at the gate are BOTH xiphos turrets, when the zerg comes, even infantry right next to you are safe to a degree because the bullet spread is impossibly large.