Tone down HA shields

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Nov 2, 2015.

1. VonStalin

how is that my fault?
  2. Beerbeerbeer

Did I get under your skin tap?

I'm sorry.
  3. 1Tap2Tap

You still have no arguments, you cannot even count to seven and still try to play hard.

You should be sorry for yourself after this debacle of yours, lol.

Pathetic.
  4. Exitus Acta Probat

I don't play HA.

Every game has a "tank" class that can take more damage than the other classes, this is nothing new and is seen everywhere.

HA is supposed to be the top frontline fighter, thinking that every other class is meant to be equal in head to head frontline fighting as the HA is asinine.
  5. Azawarau

I think its more about situations where you get a head start and still lose.

I usually play engineer and focus on being more of a jack of all trades so most 1V1 encounters are a loss.

When i grab my medic or LA with a shotgun and sneak up on a heavy face first and still lose i wonder why they have so much extra health
  6. Exitus Acta Probat

If you are not a HA you will have a hard time winning a face first encounter with a HA.

I know it gets said a lot and its almost cliche now, but head shots do make a world of difference, that and operating in your weapons ideal range.
  7. Haquim

Well....
    I call ********.

Look at Team Fortress 2 (accurately nicknamed "weapon based hat wearing simulator")
    There is a heavy class too.

It has if memory serves twice the health of any other class.
    Is twice as bulky.
    Moves about 25% slower.
    Has similar DPS to the "Soldier" class (after a spin-up time), but far superior sustained damage and is easier to use.

Now look at PS2.
    It has 70% more health by pressing a button. (which slows it 25% for that time only)
    Has superior sustained damage thanks to big magazines.
    Has a handheld weapon to engage vehicles (and MAX) at range.

Only one is good design.
    You said every game has a tank?
    Well the HA definitely is tankiest.
    He is also the best damage dealer.
    Now guess what you will never see in WoW -
    If you guessed "A tank with more dps than the pure DPS classes" you are right.
  8. Azawarau

Its not a face first encounter that bothers most players

Its getting the jump and still face planting. Im not sure how big a change would help this but anything would be nice at this point
  9. AxiomInsanity87

This is a mouse issue and reaction time issue. With (variable) high dpi i can spin and headshot at the twitch of my wrist (no different to opening a moving file on my desktop)..

PC gaming means that I and other players who have played fps since it began on pc literally have years over others. The skill disparity is literally in years most of the time.

That is the issue i believe and I'm not attempting to be big headed, it's just the way it is on pc.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

We're talking about a few extra shots being op here ffs lol.

And HA is next to max in the least played of my classes in both pc and ps4.
  11. Ximi

Let me tell an easy way to beat,WITH ANY OTHER CLASS THAN HA,another HA...yeah,YEAH!!! SHOTGUNS!!! SHOTGUNS ON THE FACE OF HA AND HA NO LONGER EXISTS.

This is how i beat easily a lot of HAs with my engie,with a shotgun,thats why im planning to buy a shotgun in Ps4 version,for have more percentage of win in close quarters combat,even if is HA or not.

I have some kills with shotgun versus shielded HA and HA dies. So talking about HA they must are the front line soldat and they need to resist a lot of damage,that is why is called HA. If u cant pull a HA then u must find a solution for it,every problem have every solution. U cant expect to win a HA in front combat or in open field less than 50 metters,unless u have luck or u use the HOLY shotgun.

So think to how catch HA privating him of those two facts and u have the kill.

I played a TR HA in PC version and i killed some guys in frontal battle,but i die a lot too caused a LA is flying around me and i didnt noticed him.

And please dont say "u are BR 0 on Ps4"...caused i dont have Ps4 yet,but i have little experience on PC version. Now im waiting for buy the holy Ps4 for play Ps2,so if u want to find my chars on PC version,let me tell u that i erased all my chars,i only start a new one before i have the news of i can buy a Ps4 in Christmas and later i stopped playing.

But i can tell u that my best BR (that is not much but its done for known basics) is BR 35 on Vanu side.

And till i get a shotgun for my engie,i was need to find other ways to kill a HA,but was found. Taking advantage of the skills of my class and privating the HA ones. I remember my starts on this game when i didnt know anything as playing infiltrator,every time i face on frontal battle a HA i loss the combat. But ive learned,on time,to how counter HA. So experience makes u better on ur class.

I dont say that shotgun saves u in every cqc combat,but shotgun are the best on it,so if u have this weapon and an enemy is in ur face before 10 metters,u have the kill,whatever if is HA or other class,70% of the times,unless the other guy have another shotgun.

This is my opinion,but i comprend the "HA need nerfs" comments due i did the same at my starts.
  12. MajorMalfunction

Agreed... I play on support.. and of course tangling with a HA (any HA) is a sure way to get rekt period... It's their job !!! ... like Infils jobs are to keep people's heads down... and honest... LA as "cavalry" to break up formations and get penetration.. I love having an infil cover me when I do a suicide run on a sundae with tank mines.. This aint COD ladies.. it takes teamwork.. everyone doing their job.. to their best... and honestly.. you don't really die ..really .. my k/d is ramping up to a sparkling .3 !! I'm not dead yet :p
  13. XyNox

I think we should get an automatic pistol available for all classes except HA that oneshots HA's when their shields are active.

I think this would be completely balanced. Before you say its not, think about it:

As much as a heavy is designed to be a frontline fighter and king of infantry combat, this pistol would be designed to oneshot heavies, so you clearly can be sure that everything is working as it should because, did I mention it would be designed that way ?

Whats that ? You still think that would break balance ? Well, just aim for the head then and git gud, jeez.
  14. PostalDude

Stop it, you're getting straw everywhere.
  15. DeadlyPeanutt

Oh that's nonsense.

I play a lot of TF2 and heavies are one of the weakest classes in the game. TF2 heavies are short range units with very slow movement speeds. I love sneaking up behind a heavy as a pyro and burning him, turning just a little faster than he can move his big gun until he's a sizzling pile of fat.

When I move in from the front quarter, I can blow him up with an air blast, set him on fire and then move around him, using my faster speed against him. I win most TF2 1v1 bouts with heavies, if they don't have a pocket medic.

If I tried that with a heavy in PS2, because he has bigger weapons with bigger mags and a movement speed that's the same as a engie or medic, he'd kill me every time. Believe me, I've tried it.

HAs in PS2 are monumentally unbalance and need a major nerf... take away with instant win shield and cut movement speed by half.
  16. TombsClawtooth

Head to head, players of equal skill, of course HA is supposed to win. I don't see the problem. Head to head a max is supposed to win against normal infantry, too.

Wish they'd ditch the HA shields and just give them a flat 250 additional shields. It'd serve the same purpose, make them more effective against explosives, and tone down their toughness in 1 on 1 fights. Plus they wouldn't have a movement speed loss. It'd be a buff in a lot of ways but make them easier to kill.

So in the end with max rank nanoweave, they would have 1500 health to every other class' 1250 health.

Plus most of them probably wouldn't run nanoweave as a result, they would run ASC to keep their shields up as often as possible, putting them on par with other classes that are running rank 5 nanoweave.

Hell, as someone who has half their playtime on HA, even I would dig this. My ping usually results in my shield failing to come up before I'm already dead.
  17. Bu11ish

Urgh KD w****s...

I play HA 17% of the time, and my HA SPM is lower than both the medic and engie.

They're SUPPOSED to be the class best at surviving and killing. You got killed by heavy as engie? did ur ammo support 10 resupplies? did you repair something for 20 seconds? Dropped some mines? Then you're totally on par with them, and supported your team just as much!
  18. Scr1nRusher

Not this again forumside.
  19. Pelojian

fighting a heavy 1vs1 isn't a goddamn honor duel, meet them face to face and you die even with good aim cause all the hevay needs is as good aim as you to win.

don't fight honorably use mines, grenades or flank attack from above, sides or behind that slight time they need to turn to face you can be the difference between living and dying.

heavies and maxes are supposed to be for room clearing and pushing, if maxes were played more often like that you wouldn't be complaining about HAs at all.
  20. XyNox

Trolling, cynism and class trashtalk aside for a second:

I think everyone can agree on the heavy assault being a class that should excel in "direct combat", "frontline assault" or whatever you want to call it. As much as the infis role is to be a sneaky assassin/sniper, the role of the HA is to be a tanky brute. No argument here. I guess quite some people can also agree on the HA being the one infantry class that should be expected to be pulled the most since, afterall the game is about destroying your enemies to conquer their territory, which then again a purely combat oriented class such as HA is supposed to to excel at.

The real issue here that most people seem to have a problem with ( I certainly have ) is the way the HA's ability is implemented to achieve this goal. Yes, the HA shield effectively leads to the class being more effective in direct firefights - again, as it is supposed to be - BUT compared to pretty much all the other class abilities, the player behind the HA does not need be experienced or skilled in any way to use the HA shield, more specifically the NMG, to ITS FULL POTENTIAL.

The NMG will always shield 700 damage. It does not matter if your HA enemy is an experienced player who predicted you popping up on his screen because he payed attention to sound, mapicons, minimap or if he just walked cluelessly around the map. It will ALWAYS shield 700 damage, no matter the experience or playerskill of the HA tapping that button. It is basically impossible to use this ability to your disadvantage, no matter if you actually know what you are doing or not.

If you dont pay attention as a LA and jumpjet in the line of sight of an enemy you get punished as you hang in midair with no accuracy to effectively fight back.

If you dont pay attention as an infi and cloak too close to enemies or overestimate your level of invisibility when moving you get punished as you are a sitting duck with your 100 shield less and about half a second of decloak time before you can fight back.

If you dont pay attention as an engi and set up a turret in a bad position you get punished as your immobility will make you a freekill for tanks, snipers and grenades depending on the location you are fighting at.

If you dont pay attention as a medic and you chose to revive people when there are still enemies around you get punished as the green healing beam signals that you have your healing gun out and can be rushed easily with no chance to fight back.

With a heavy shield there is no such thing. You press that shield buttton and you have a straight 700 HP advantage that cannot be countered by playerskill. You may shoot the head but still those 700 HP are 700 HP. Sure, there may be the situations where you can effectively pump 1700 damage ( or more depending on Nanoweave ) into the heavy before he can react but more often than not, the HA is not a complete newbie and knows how to shoot as well.

The resist shield however is a perfect example how the heavy ability a) gives the class more durability while b) making the ability more rewarding the more skilled it is utilized. A heavy that pops the resist shield before taking the first hit will gain significantly more of a boost from the restist shield than a heavy that already has been shot down to his last 200 HP because he was lacking awareness.

Now, I repeat, let the heavy keep an ability that makes him better at direct combat compared to support abilities but for gods sake, implement it in a way where the skill of the player actually determines the effectiveness instead of a static, pregiven number, thats all everyone here is asking for.
    • Up x 1