If you ever thought shotguns are OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VonStalin, Nov 8, 2015.

1. VonStalin

Just for comparison.
    • Up x 1
  2. Cuze

That's horrible comparison because it doesn't take nearly as long to kill someone with a rifle in CS:GO as it does to kill someone with a rifle in this game.
    • Up x 1
  3. lothbrook

Pretty sure the point was that the shotgun in CS:GO works at a much longer range increasing the frequency of 1 shot kills, whereas in PS2 if you're target is more than like 6m away you're going to need at least 2, and if its a heavy, lol you're dead.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

It's also completely seperate from any context. Anyone who thinks shotguns are OP must think that snipers are OP as well, simply because they perform well for their supposed task.

Shotguns are better in CQC, if they weren't there wouldn't be a point to having them. Shotguns are only marginally better in CQC, unless you manage to pull off the OHK with the shotgun you'll already be behind on the TTK compared to Carbines at similar ranges. Ofcourse, you also have the disadvantage of not being able to fire at Carbine ranges as well.

Just about the only reason why you should pick a Shotgun is because they have huge magazine and sustainability that only HA's can have otherwise. If you can get close enough you can mow down more people with a shotgun than any other non-LMG weapon.
    • Up x 2
  5. Daigons

Who cares about shotguns? C4 all day long for the insta-gank. (^_^)
  6. Liewec123

i'm in the mindset that shotguns are actually a handicap,

SMGs/carbines and to some extent LMGs+ARs
    you can ADS to kill someone in a fraction of a second from 50m
    you can hipfire to kill someone in a fraction of a second in CQC

so when i pick a weapon that is utterly useless at anything beyond 15m and only slightly better than an SMG in CQC
    you should be thanking me for opting for a handicap!

you can use slugs to get versatility but then its worse than an SMG at BOTH.
    (3 shot kill with a shotgun takes longer than SMG TTK)
    • Up x 5
  7. Tommyp2006

Agreed, in all but less than 10m I'd rather have a rifle, any rifle, even a battle rifle, than a shotgun. Only reason I ever use one is directive grinding, because I find it just flat out frustrating to use any other time.

Also, the hit detection is actually exactly the same in both situations in your signature.
    • Up x 1
  8. VonStalin

honestly, I think shotguns suck in PS2 right now and they need a little buff.
    • Up x 1
  9. Moridin6

one player to flinches and presses m1, the other player dies Barely hearing the shot..
    yeah thats fair
    meanwhile ill smack people in the face with a rocket, and theyre still kicking..
    in a lot of games shotguns are cheap, but acceptable, with ps2 framework however, its borderline cheating and you should be ashamed to use one
  10. Demigan

Never used shotguns yourself did you?
    This is like saying that a sniper shot to the head is unfair, because you never saw it coming. All the while you ignore the skill required to pull it off.

Only pump-actions can OHK with bodyshots, every single other shotgun requires a headshot for OHK's, and even then you are bound by RNG as your random spread might not send enough to the head. Oh, and you need to be within about 5m distance to pull it off, oh and if you miss a Carbine can already kill you before you fire the next shot.

Look: Snipers are dedicated long-range weapons. They are relatively bad in mid-range and CQC due to COF and a high zoom. They can OHK with headshots and have great damage even with bodyshots.
    Shotguns are dedicated short-range weapons. If they couldn't OHK they wouldn't even have better TTK's than Carbines and other weapons, and their only advantage would be the big damage per magazine. That's a lot of disadvantages for fights that overall take more than 10m distance (unless you really think that most fights are within a Sunderers length distance, even though most rooms are already longer than that).
    • Up x 1
  11. K2k4

IMO shotguns 'were' OP when they were first re-introduced in 2012. This was patched within a few months, and ever since then the majority of shotguns have been worse than most bullet-hose alternatives.

Where they have always shined is that sweet spot within 10 meters where their high alpha damage (IE first shot damage) gives them a chance to take down their target in one shot. This is not so much the case if you're using any of the semi-automatic shot guns, as they don't do enough damage to insta-gib their victim. Pump action shotguns, the auto shotgun, and the jackhammer in burst-fire mode have the benefit of being great at applying this damage, which is why these shotguns will always be best for shotgunning.

Then we have slugs - which extend the shotgun range to about 20 meters, and give the user a chance to apply some of that sweet alpha damage like a poor-man's sniper rifle. there may be some possible application for slugs using the aforementioned semi-auto shotguns where they would allow follow up shots where pump actions would not be optimal for this purpose.

Now you have me wanting to play with shotguns again. nifty.