Terrible Micro Stuttering/ Hitching After Update.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TyrantJo, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Westonbirt_EUW

This is pissing me off. I bought a new computer a month back and was quite satisfied with the performances, so much that I decided "hey, maybe I should give this ******* game a shot". But no, since the last large update I have the same problems as OP (and seemingly half the known world). I haven't had problems with any other game. Fix your ****, DB.
  2. MaDiv

Flaming and offending DBG won't bring you anywhere guys, so please follow the guidelines and discuss on a acceptable level. I don't want RadarX to show up here and close this thread due to too much offensive behaviour. Thanks in advance.

Now b2t: Having the same issues here on a

CPU: C2D E6850 @ 3GHz
    RAM: 4GB 667MHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz edition (1GB)

system which was able to take smaller fights (max 24 ppl involved) with around ~25 FPS on all-low settings with a viewing distance of 997. I experienced some days ago huge framedrops which now seem to have vanished, although I still have freezes of around ~5 seconds often then when someone's standing in front of me and starts using their gun (possible hint for the devs/moderators who are reading this - I stay optimistically).
    My overall framerate has reduced by around 30%, what would be 40FPS on the WG (60 before, could be higher but I capped it at 60 FPS) and generally ~15FPS +-5FPS during smaller fights.

Greetings,

MaDiv
  3. user101

You guys are going to love next week.... better bigger and newer graphics comming.... A 6850 should be able to play PS2.. but you really do need 10 GB ram in the game to make it smooth. It was amazing going from 8 GB to 10 GB how much better it played, going from 10GB to 18GB did not seem to make any difference to me. But the 8 to 10GB did....!!! If I was upgrading now I would shoot for 12BG.

It may be some windows bug in memory allocation that is the problem in PS2. I don't care what your memory says PS2 is using it makes a big difference in game play when you go to 10GB.
  4. Dave345

how is it? the microshuttering seems to be gone but while trying to shoot the enemy if he fires his weapon the fps drops making it hard to shoot him
    should we try tweeting radarX? do they know this or is this only to those who have dual cores ?
  5. ObiVanuKenobi

PhysX doesn't affect vehicles in any way and it's disabled right now. PhysX is used only for fancy effects like bouncing sparks, debris and stuff like that. If vehicle physics were done by PhysX then only people with Nvidia cards would be able to play this game.
  6. henrickbr

DB is aware of the problem? Apparently not!
    The way is to wait for one more week, and wait update, if not improve, the problem would not be fixed.
  7. Thunder33

I have good fps and good ping, but I get alot of server lag on Cobalt.
  8. Zavinus

I tried again today.

The freezing doesn't happen as often, but the fps lag is still there. I've really been wanting to play PS2 lately, I hope it gets patched soon.
  9. Saclo

I have 3 systems all of which were effected negatively. Some more than others.

PC#1: Hitching constantly, 2-10 second freezes, average fps went from 30-60ish down to about 10.
    • CPU Pentium anny edition g3258 dual core 4.5ghz O.C.
    • RAM: 8GB 1333 DDR3
    • Storage: SSD 840 evo
    • GPU: 7870 2GB GDDR5
    PC#2 Minor hitching, fps went from about 60-100 down to about 20-30.
    • CPU: i5 4690k 4.6ghz O.C.
    • RAM: 8GB 1866 DDR3
    • Storage: SSD 840 evo
    • GPU: 7970 3GB GDDR5
    PC#3 Surprisingly this one had the least change. Average fps went from 30-40 down to about 25, but zero hitching.
    • CPU: AMD 3870k APU 3.5 Ghz O.C
    • RAM: 8GB 1600 DDR3
    • Storage: HDD WD Blue
    • GPU: 6670 1GB GDDR5
    I don't know for sure what is doing it but my dual core is completely unplayable. I have read in another forum on reddit that it is most likely memory draw issue, or PhysX.

Obivanukenobi-
    This is wrong. While PhysX did get disabled on particles etc, Joay was right when he/she said that it is also part of their overall physics system. Not just for what you were talking about.
    • Up x 2
  10. Parak

Well, I managed to get my game back to a playable state. Inspired by this thread here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...ching-freezing-fixed-without-fps-drop.204382/

I looked at the CPU usage for the render threads and found them to be ludicrously high, with everything set at bare minimum, while at a warpgate, and overclocking my 2500k to 4.2Ghz. So the next time it locked up for a few seconds, I looked at the thread usage and saw two in particular taking an already ludicrous usage of 85-95% combined to 100%. Figured it was worth a try, so I killed off one of the two with the highest usage. Basically there are multiple threads that have the same address, and it's one of those with the highest usage that I killed, and not what I assume to be the main single thread with a different address. In my case, the thread I killed was:

Code:
    PlanetSide2_x64.exe!Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend+0x89838
    and there were multiple instances of it - I just killed the one with the silly CPU usage while the game was running on a different monitor. You may have to do so in windowed mode.

Disclaimer: I have no idea why this is or why it worked for me, or whether it will work for you. Attempt at your own risk, etc and so on...
    • Up x 1
  11. Gabriella

I dont think its a memory running out issue.Yeah memory leak is getting worse after every update(instead of getting better-.-) but when hitching or more important when freezing my ssd isnt working.If it was ,my ssd would have been working overtime due to pagefile.

You are right about physx.
    .Physx is a physics engine.It is used by many games for all the physics simulations.Cpu is used for these simulation.Nvidia hardware isnt required here.
    Some games support additional effects (tearable clocth dynamic smoke simulated particle debris etc)
    which are the closed part of the api,hardware accelarated and require an nvidia gpu to run.
  12. user101

You have one common thing among these 3 PC and that is 8GB - I am telling you if you had more memory they would all run smother. I run 18GB and never glitch or paws at all. I don't freeze in respown. Windows 7 has a memory issues on some PC's that it does not report the correct memory size... they have not fixed it... and it only works correct over 8GB in reporting. you need 10GB just for windows to work correct. 32bit quite work with 6GB over two years ago with memory issues. And now your running 64bits... Don't complain if you only have 8GB....
  13. Damz49

18Gb of RAM for a game :eek:

"you need 10GB just for windows to work correct"

My OS use to work perfectly and very fast reponse with 3.25Go, and Planetside 2 running in medium settings in 2012/2013.

When a freeze happens, memory usage is 0 ! CPU usage is 0 or very low.
    And the HDD stop to run too.

Try the tip with process explorer, I remember the last two times I had freeze because of a game update, killing some tasks on PS2 process fixed the issue.
  14. Damz49

Kill Process fix is confirmed for me, it works and immediatly stop freezes and hitching.

Method:

-Start your game
    -Open Process Explorer
    -Double-left click on planetside2_x64 process
    -In "Threads" tab, sort the "CPU" column by clicking once on the top of it to see which task is using the more your CPU
    -Kill that task and ONLY this one (killing another one make the game crash)

Task's name should look like
    PlanetSide2_x64.exe!Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::prepend+0x89838

The only difference should be the adress at the end (in red)
    • Up x 1
  15. Gabriella

Just played about 20 minutes.
    Killed the process when i froze,problem solved.
  16. Joay

I have like 20 with the same name. i killed one and maybe it made it better, or just a placebo affect. Unfortunately didn't really work for me.
    • Up x 1
  17. henrickbr

I tried too, but the problem persists.
  18. Damz49

You killed the one who's using 25-40 CPU or chosing a random one ?

If you sort all the PlanetSide2_x64.exe!Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::prepend+XXXXXXXX on the CPU column you'll be able to see which one is f****** up and you need to kill this one, nothing else.

Sometimes it takes a long time (2-3 minutes) before this task to overload CPU, you must wait to see one task with high CPU usage compared to the others.

Maybe the little hotfix fixed this.
  19. Damz49

20. Damz49