[Vehicle] Valkyrie 2.0

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rimaxan, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Rimaxan

We all know the Valkyrie, the little craft that gets blown up by pistols. To make it more effective, I propose something that has been denied by the devs and game community alike many times.

1 - 2 additional guns would be placed on the Rumble seats, one on the left and one on the right. Either 2 extra seats will be added for these guns or one of the current seats would take over that role. The 2 additional guns would be 13mm Heavy Machineguns capable of destroying infantry and Flashes with ease but has a hard time even destroying Harassers. Another flaw is the fact that they are not 360 degrees turning angle which makes them horrible anti-air guns.

2 - The Valkyrie can carry more than just infantry. I would be fine if at most it can carry a Flash into battle but I would like it if it could also carry a Harasser too. This would make attacks far more effective via Valkyrie but I do not know if they will be carried in it or under it.

3 - I know what you would say, but as this is a Gunship I think it should be a mini-Liberator and also carry anti-tank rockets, high explosive bombs, and that good stuff as a secondary gun for the pilot.

Tell me what you would think of the Valkyrie after this happens to it (and if it does).
    • Up x 1
  2. Kcalehc

1 - Rumble seat guns would be cool, and something lie the Kobalt, or MANA AI weapons would be appropriate for the purpose. However, those seats are not stabilized, you'd have a hard time hitting anything while in flight, and you're a sitting duck on the ground. Cool, yes; practical, no. :(

2 - Also cool, but again not terribly practical. Those places you could get a flash or harasser that they couldn't ordinarily might give you a short term advantage (well the harasser might, flash not so much). Might be better off allowing you to sacrifice 2 rumble seats for the ability to carry one MAX inside the craft.

3 - Dumbfire rocket pods for the pilot, sure. I can get behind this, flying a Valk is pretty unrewarding so having a touch more ability might be nice. Make them like the ESF ones, with smaller magazines (about 3/4 the size).
    • Up x 2
  3. Rimaxan

The Heavy Machineguns won't be meant to be stable, that is why I said above that it would be horrible at anti-air, it is more for clearing the area before landing or forcing the enemy to get into cover. Just imagine a movie scene where the helicopter it landing and the gunners on the doors fire while the men charge out. It's meant more for supporting the landing force than it is actually killing anything.

I also just had a funny thought where a Harasser would be on one of those big trees on Hossin after being transported via Valkyrie.
  4. FateJH

If you want to pull something like what you suggested, why not just pull a Galaxy or a Liberator?
    A weapon that is inherently unstable when firing while airborne is going to be unstable when firing while airborne. It doesn't matter if you shot it at ground targets or air targets. No one is going to take an unstable weapon seriously. IIf you want to make it poor against Air targets and fine against other targets, you use Resistances.
    On the other hand, if you don't mind it being unstable but still want it to serve your purpose in cases of clearing landing areas, give it splash damage.
  5. Rimaxan

Valkyries have the advantage of being small which allows them to use natural objects as cover (Hossin's giant trees, trees, rocks, tiny spaces) and makes them harder to spot. That is why.

Also for the cool feeling of helicopter landings.
  6. Jake the Dog

1. I think it would be really cool if they gave the AI mana turrets w/shield to a passenger on each side. With an option for a GL w/shield and a missile launcher (not high dmg) as well.

2. Im still waiting on vehicles to be carried by the galaxy...

3. I always thought it'd be cool if the valk pilot had lock-on missiles (single fire). with the option of either dumbfire (high damage) or A2G Lock-on or A2A lock on. I'd love if the valk was a better gunship.
  7. Jake the Dog

Who lands??? People just drop out of it lol.
  8. Rimaxan

Who lands? Well apparently I do.
  9. Jake the Dog

Lol, with the AMS system all of my operations that involve a valk are mainly flybys on a base dropping 4-5 infantry, never really landing unless I'm getting out. Then the landing is crashing into the ground without a pilot. (not counting landing for reps)
  10. Rimaxan

Landing allows for more accurate drops (erm, landings) than the AMS system does because they won't all jump out at the same time and could land off target.
  11. Jake the Dog

Lol, I usually do organized drops. such as once I near the drop zone, i give them a count to drop. At which point I'm no longer looking at where I'm flying I'm looking at the minimap and as soon as I get to the desired point I say "drop, drop, drop" and 90% of the people in the valk hit their mark. It allows for quicker entry.
  12. LtBomber1

How to drop:
    Fly over desired area, look on minimap. If the passengers are not fully ******, they do the same and drop, all on the same point. Btw one can zoom the minimap (no, not making it bigger, zoom!!), great for drops and stuff, just to say.

The idea with the unguided rocket pods sounds great. Make the pelter pods a pilot weapon and tweak them a little. Give them about 14 rounds, but only 3 mags. It is just for clearing, no need for tons of ammo. And Tbh, pelters are weak as f***
    • Up x 1
  13. stalkish

You could always do what we did in PS1, lock your vehicle when your over the dropzone.
    Everyone out at the same time in the same place.
    • Up x 1
  14. Deffington

I see your idea of epic moment, but I think that it wouldn't change too much. I was trying to use it as AV gunship - two HAs on one side, circling around target. But it doesn't work in actual fight, they can't hit with dumbfire and neither keep a lock. Also they are usually dead by the second explosion. And that is also the problem of having it your way with AI turrets - until the men can be damaged by explosion, you are just risking them.

The question is: do you really want it to be a gunship? Then it would make sense to load two MAXes that could fire out instead of 4 regular infantry, using their higher HP to advantage. But I think Valk is not meant to be that. It should rather get some advantage over Galaxy and AMS support ability. Now people are picking Galaxy even for a small squad, because they don't need agility for simple transport and prefer armor.
  15. Klabauter8

1-2: Just throw proximity or tank mines from the rumble seats instead, or do hotdrops from it. It's very difficult to hit something with a gun from the rumble seats anyway. The pilot has to focus on what the main gunner has to hit. He has to focus on the front. This means that the site gunners will have a very hard time being able to hit something and at the same time will confuse the pilot, by shooting at things the pilot can't see. If my main gunner shoots to the site at something I can't see as a pilot, then I have to dodge first and look what he is shooting there. Otherwise it easily can happen that you die. Gunner and pilot have to work together and aim at the same things in Valkyries, everything else only means problems.

2: I think this would fit better to Galaxies. Valkyries are way too small for it.

3: I agree with this totally. Some secondary gun for the pilot would be very nice, however then the rumble seats also should get removed, otherwise it would get too OP.

Valkyries are not weak by any means, but I think they require too much teamplay for this playerbase (at least if you want to use them to their full extend). Being able to remove the rumble seats and add some weapon for the pilot instead would be very welcomed.
  16. Rimaxan

(On a note it was just 1, not 1-2) The side machineguns are meant for clearing landing areas, not really for anti-air. They would still be useful if you are just swooping past a area and not doing flips and that such.

Valkyries could at least carry a Flash or 2. This would allow for fast transport if the Valkyrie have to land away from the combat zone due to the heavy presence of AA. They could go under it.

They won't be overpowered if you have rumble seats and a secondary gun. The secondary gun, rocket pods, could be used for clearing areas as they are also Gunships and transports.
  17. Kcalehc

Except... that only works at low speed/stationary. Due to latency each passenger only drops when their client receives the locked message. So lagging players will drop later, and if you're going top speed that can spread your drop zone out quite a lot.
    • Up x 1
  18. stalkish

tell your outfit mates to stop lag switching, ive never seen this problem...
  19. OldMaster80

Valkyries have many issues. The first is they are meant to be weak against esf (bburness said) which ia totally idiotic. They take too much damage from other aircraft to become a reliable troops transport.

Second this vehicle is too slow compared to the Galaxy.

Third it has no safe drop innate which is ridicolous considered how fragile it is.

Forth: no reason why the turret must be locked 180°.

Five: repair must be tweaked. 1 engineer has almost no effect but 4 make the Valkyrie unstoppable.
  20. Covah

1 . It should be faster.

2 . Devs should slightly buff the gunner weapons, AGAIN.

3 . Respawn mechanic and no-dmg drop should be built-in.

4. Add a cloaking device (with certs ofc).

I'm fine with it's current HP / resist.