Anybody else try hard to like the prowler but just hate it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kimble, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Kimble

I tried. My main is NC and I am used to the peekaboo playstyle of the vanguard but I tell you I just can't bring myself to like anchoring up and making myself a sitting duck. I know you ambush and so forth but I just hate he prowler playstyle after playing the vanguard for 94 levels!!! I think it stinks, am I wrong? I kind of think it is a weak tank.

This was TR emerald so maybe that had something to do with it LOL!
  2. Imperial Sect

The Prowler is not a tank, it's a mobile artillery unit. Find a besieged base and anchor at max range and rain down shells on them.
    • Up x 1
  3. Armcross

Yes as a tank Prowler stink. There are 2 play style I use with the vanguard hit and run artillery and heavy lightning.
  4. MasterOhh

Why does everyone think, that the prowler is all about being anchored down somewhere? Even without anchormode it still has the highest DPS of all MBTs. Get max racer, stealth, the vulcan on top and a decend gunner. Then you can prowl around and shred targets before they even notice you came up behind them.
    Or if want it even more ez mode, get the GK and kill everone at render range.
    • Up x 5
  5. customer548

I'm Prowler total noob.
    At first, i disliked Prowlers because of their lack of resists and maneuverability.
    Then i started to think about long range, due to my own lack of Certs.
    Racer chassis+Anchored+High Rof+Good optics+Avoiding the crowd = Destroyed sundies.
    Avoid close combat fights with uncerted Prowlers, the Tr gameplay seems to be way different from NCs' MBTs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jubikus

It does but it leaves little room for error and if your against an equally equipped opponent the Magrider should lose every time but only if you dont miss at all and you have to land twice as many shots and at the same time make sure your turning your main body so that the mag isnt getting to your weak spots because he can always be facing you with his front armor while scooting to get to your side and back armor. Against a Vanguard if hes 2/2 just like you even with the superior DPS of the main weapon you will still lose do to his higher armor and extra 2k health from a shield one does not simply go toe to toe with a vanguard. And of course theres alway coming up and ambushing your opponent but this is hardly a playstyle simply for the prowler but more of an every tank thing flanking tank always wins.
  7. Liewec123

i logged in to my TR alt each day for the 48 passive certs, did that for a month or 2 until i had max anchor and max reload speed on the AP cannon, this was before i'd even used the prowler, and now i love it!

if you haven't maxed reload and achor then i'd highly recommend grabbing those!
  8. Kimble

So racer is hands down the best chassis? Rival sucks hard huh?
  9. Taemien

One thing I like about the Prowler is the damage it has right out of the box. With the Vanguard you really need that Titan AP. The Prowler's HEAT isn't bad if you land both shots. I'd imagine it wrecks with its own AP.

And I know this sounds weird.. but you don't really need Anchor right away (and I'm thinking you might be able to get away with using other options depending on playstyle). Vanguard needs at least rank 1 of the shield to be effective.
  10. Nody

It's the fastest tank; going faster is always going to be the right answer as it shares the armor with the Magrider (i.e. you're not a tank but a heavy Lightening).
  11. Tommyp2006

I would add that is already has pretty decent turning rate as well, so that makes racer and even better option. IMO the turning rate on the Lightning is too low to use racer, but that's just my playstyle.

I find that I have a love/hate relationship with the Prowler. It's great when you find the right fights for it. Sometimes you just have to find a gunner that you synergize well with too.
  12. GhostAvatar

Other than sniping deployed sunndies. I much prefer the AP Lightening.
  13. FieldMarshall

I had opposite feelings going from TR to NC. The Vanguard felt like a slow moving peashooter.
  14. Deffington

I prefer anchoring down playstyle with certed HEAT reload and GK as gunner, but I have seen guys running with AP+Vulcan+sidearmor and those are very effective on close. Only Vanguards with shield make these guys sad.
  15. MuggieWara

I am facing the exact opposite situation trying to like the Vanguard after i reached BR 94 as TR and auraxiumed the Prowler.
    One thing we have to get immediately out of the way is that they have to be played completely different.

But to be honest i think the Prowler is MUCH more potent.Im suprised in fact that there are no nerf threads about it.I mean the Vanguards DPS seems ridiculous to me after using the Prowler.But you have to know how to use it.

I only play the long-medium range moblie artillery style but with a good gunner(with Halberd) i can take anything except a fully manned Vanguard 1v1 close range.The magrider for example stands no chance against me.I also prefer the high risk-high reward playstyle of getting closer to the armor i want to destroy(100-200m) not longer range bombardment.So my advice:

-Maxed out anchor and at least realod speed 4 on the AP is obligatory.Also reload speed 4 on the Halberd gunner.GK doesnt favor the get in-get out playstyle with its low alpha.Its only good for extreme long range defending which is not as rewarding most of the time beause enemes jave time to react/get in cover.
    -Maxed out RIVAL chassis.Yes you heard right.You dont go chasing down things in a Prowler and you dont overextent because your armor doesnt gurantee your survival.Plus you really have to able to drive in reverse fast while keeping your front pointed towards incoming fire.RACER imho is useless
    -Maxed out STEALTH is also obligatory.You want to be able to deploy-open fire and still dont auto show on the map.

How you play:

You watch the map for fights where you know:1)Where enemy armor/AMS are or are incoming 2)You know a good vantage point preferably with ability to retreat.
    You go there unnoticed,have a disciplined gunner who doesnt shoot anything until you are already deployed and YOU start shooting.Concetrate your fire together on vehicle after vehicle prioritizing MBTS>Lightinings>Sundys.Sometimes though you can just take the sundy out and leave if you want to stop the attack on a valuable base.
    You wont believe what you ll be able to destroy before the enemy even reacts.EVERYTHING IS WRECKED WITHIN SECONDS.
    When finally you are noticed you quickly mobilize and drive in reverse to safety.(RIVAL OP)
    Repair-Resupply-Repeat,from the same or preferably a different point.

Exra tips:
    -If you know you can find a place behind enemy armor you can destroy 3-4 Magriders or 2-3 Vanguards in ~15 seconds.
    -ALWAYS try to shoot while deployed.Dont give them the chance to react.Also make your first 2 shots leave the barrel after you ve deployed so that you get the reload buff from the start.Dont be impatient with firing.Stealth is your friend.
    -Sometimes while deployed you ll realize that you re dead.Meaning that you re taking so much damage that there is no time to mobilize and retreat/hide or for example a enemy MBT came stealthily behind you.In those situations you have to able to judge your tank is lost and do a sort of a last stand.With your godly deployed DPS take out anything you have the time too before you die/eject.If a lightning came behind you alone just start shooting at it.Most likely you ll get him even if your shooting at his front and he at your back.

1v1 tips(when you can safely assume that its indeed a one vs one)
    VS Magrider:Rush it!Rush it!Close the distance!Negate his strafing ability!Destroy it!You have more dps than him.Also make sure you keep your front pointed at him.(RIVAL OP to react to an experienced Magrider driver trying to get behind you with crazy magburner maneuvers)
    VS Vangurd:Avoid 1v1 with Vanguard unless you re are sure you can get the jump on them and start firing deployed and first.In that scenario you can out-DPS him even with his shield.If a Vanguard finds you first and there is no terrain/friendlies to escape to,accept that you re dead most likely and deploy-deal damage in hope that he is uncerted/no gunner/noob/shield on cooldown.

I and my gunner have SINGLE HANDEDLY stopped 24-48 attacks on bases.We heave destroyed their sundies and armor protecting them in seconds without them even knowing.You cant imagine how many Liberator tank buster or 2-3 groups of MBTs ive had DEDICATED to destroy me,because i halted their entire squad-platoon for minutes from successfully encircling a base.

WITH NO OTHER MBT IS THAT POSSIBLE!

Sorry for the long post but as a loyal Terran i think its never a bad idea to indulge someone to the joy of using our definately superior tank! :D
    • Up x 1
  16. Anantidaephobia

I hate prowlers because it's OP. I can't imagine any TR not liking it ...
  17. Kimble

You are the first person to say use rival. It makes sense. I just wonder if the 99% of the rest of the people swearing by racer are trolls.

very odd.
  18. LodeTria

I use it too, mostly because the prowler can go 60 without racer so there isn't too much of a trade-off because 60 is still a decent speed in the MBT world. The vanguard is ok to use rival now but it still accelerates very slowly if you don't gear-hop. A magrider without racer might as well not exist in my own opinion.
  19. Towie

Yes Rival does make sense and all that - Prowler is fast enough as it is, but when you've sprinted around like a lunatic in a Racer, it's hard to go back ! (I'm racer)
  20. Old_Cherokee

All I have to say is that it's safer to play it as a arty than to try and go one on one with the other mbt's because even with a Vulcan and ap against a good magrider even if u win you are going to get away with low health that anyone can walk up and kill you it's best to move in groups if you have to do cqc. Don't even try to 1v1 a vanguard doesn't work out if they are competent pilot. Other than that lockdown is your friend once you get used to it and bring grouped up helps alot.
    Oh and I love racer I can about chase anything down. :D