The Gatekeeper is OJ

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Oct 28, 2015.

1. 000AmidimA000

It's also OP. You can defend the gatekeeper and say "it has low DPS so it's all good", or "it's only good if there's more then one around"... but we all know it's OP, even 1 by itself is OP... stop kidding yourself please.

You can defend OJ too and tell us all that he's not guilty. Sure... go ahead and think that. The man came out and said that he's guilty. So if YOU think he's not guilty... there's probably something wrong with you.

The TR have told us even they feel bad playing with the Gatekeeper because of how easy and effective it is. They're like OJ admitting his guilt. And yet the Gatekeeper gets defended still...

You can defend the gatekeeper six ways to Sunday, but I bet you fall asleep at night thinking "ha, just kidding. That gun is rediculous".

Let's all just, once and for all, admit that this gun is way overperforming. Let's admit it needs a nerf. Let's nerf it. Let's be done with it and make it a bad memory. Let's move foward in life.

Let's not let the gatekeeper commit a crime and walk away scott free. Let's put the gatekeeper in its deserved place. Behind the bars of Nerf Penitentiary.
    • Up x 2
  2. AngusPrime

I believe you are mistaking OP with where longer ranged weapons should be.

The balancing for this is simple:
    Buff the other options, stop nerfing **** and having everyone end up shooting cream puffs instead of actual armaments at people, I'd honestly rather have a bunch of overtuned weapons than half ***** nerfed ones.
    • Up x 2
  3. Luftwaffe

Someone complaining about something because they suck at the game, and then claim that something is OP.

Not the first time this has happened.

Let's move forward in life.
    • Up x 6
  4. 000AmidimA000

Sorry, let me just turn on my hacks so I can have just as suspiciously good accuracy as the other BR 100's. And NO. Buff all the other weapons up to gatekeeper levels would be horrible. The game is more fun when you can actually escape gun fire at longer ranges.
  5. Foxirus

Why waste time and developers trying to buff and balance two weapons when you can simply nerf the one that is overperforming?

Give it recoil, bullet drop, and Reduce Velocity. Gate Keeper is fixed.

Yeah, Thats right! The Gatekeeper has no bullet drop, Faster velocity, No recoil, No spread... Its not OP at all........
    • Up x 1
  6. 000AmidimA000

When somebody kills you at range, that person should be able to go "OOOOOOOOHHHHH SNAP. DID YOU SEEE THAT SHOT! GET WRECKED. I JUST KILLED YOU AT RENDER DISTANCE SCRUB". More like back when the game first came out.

Right now when TR get long distance kills it sounds more like "Got another kill with the gatekeeper. The 100th today. oh yay. we are gud. use your enforcers and PPAs better so you can get gud too".

Seriously. I'd rather the range game require skill rather than us having point and click battles. There's no fun in a point and click war.
    • Up x 3
  7. Revel

You know, there could be two people left in this entire game and I bet they'd still be whining to each other over it. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  8. TombsClawtooth

People forget what makes this game fun and unique. It's most certainly not vehicular combat, and it's even more certainly not long range vehicular combat. The physics are so miserable and rage inducing you're either falling out of your chair laughing as a tank's turret completely folds in on its self and it drives off practically undamaged, or you drive on straight and flat ground and burst into flames because of some glitch with the ground and decide that's enough stupidity for one night.

I highly doubt anyone using the GK is having a fun and exciting time. Meanwhile the rest of us on the other end of it are just trying to pull vehicles to push the fight back indoors so we can enjoy the infantry combat once again. The GK makes that very, very annoying.

What do most people gather around for? They go for biolab fights. Why? Because we actually discover something resembling fun there and get sucked into it. The rest of the fight is more like working a job. Don't get me wrong, it can be a good change of pace once in awhile, but when it drones on for HOURS because of insanely long range dug in TR forces using the GK and prowlers to shell our positions, it just becomes a drag.

The gate keeper provides another hurdle to an aspect of the game that already feels like work, making it harder to get back to the infantry game. As if deployed prowlers weren't already annoying enough.

On planetside 1 we almost always had massive infantry zergs with very little vehicles causing much problems for us. It was quite enjoyable and unique, being able to fight on foot in the field instead of being stuck to only being able to fight in shotgun range.
    • Up x 3
  9. Revel

This is why there needs to be a small urban continent with only sunderers allowed at the vehicle terminal.
    • Up x 1
  10. Towie

People get incredibly frustrated when they are killed and felt they had no reasonable way to counter - the extreme long range weapons are a prime candidate for hate. I don't think that buffing every cannon to the GK level is the fix, Planetside is frustrating enough without that.

Lancer also falls into this category BUT it is rarely used, even the Striker has 30% more users despite all the whining about how UP it is. Now - when a Lancer squad gets together, they can decimate armor at extreme ranges - when on the receiving end, people get rightfully frustrated and come to the forum complaining (check previous threads) - yet it is a rare occurrence.

Turning to the Gatekeeper - it is used way WAY more than any other secondary, so the chances of being destroyed by it is much higher. Add in the fact that at extreme ranges you may get no audio/visual notification that you're being hit, only the disappearing health, and i'm surprised that there is any other thread subject right now.

WREL produced a video about balance - suggesting that items should be balanced around most common usage patterns rather than absolutes (imagine if the Lancer was the default VS RL) and I think that just about everyone now considers the GK has a problem, specifically its long range power (ease of use, no bloom, shell speed). It needs to be addressed individually - without nerfing it into the ground.
    • Up x 1
  11. FateJH

[IMG]
    (Do not click this image for full resolution.)
    Let me return to a point I made a while ago and still don't quite understand. If PlanetSide 2 has an over-abundance of Heavy Assault, then why does it have a problem with Ground Vehicles? There should be more than enough rocket launcher to go around. You can flip that around as well.
    That is a roundabout way for me to make a different sort of point - Vehicles did not ruin field battles in PlanetSide 2. Poor between-base terrain design and sniping ruined it. Paradoxically, the continent that has the most field battles based on what I have seen is Hossin, and the continent is frequently begrudged for its terrain.
  12. Idiocy

Yeah, let's not. Saron with 500 m/s velocity and no CoF/Recoil? That'd be silly. (Then again, they DID make Gatekeeper, so..)
  13. PostalDude

I'd invite you to play TR, Gatekeeper is overrated.
    • Up x 2
  14. Pelojian

It's overrated to those that don't use it and don't want to shatter their vision that some things TR have are effective but not OP, while screaming OP cause it's a TR thing!

if lancers, ravens or vortexes were TR you can bet there would be nerf calls on the forum from time to time.
    • Up x 1
  15. SoljVS

Glad to see ground now has something as annoying as the walker gal is for air. They should add 2 to the sundy and let the tears commence.
  16. Scr1nRusher

Looks like another nerf lynch mob is trying to assemble.
  17. Stormsinger

The Gatekeeper is Orange Juice?! ... Science has gone too far, and this is coming from a VS main.

Well, nerf lynch mobs got ZOE / PPA nerfed, and the Betelgeuse was finally blasted with a nerf cannon (Hopefully it got enough of one)

The Gatekeeper is in the same category as the above, in my opinion. The silliness above aside, I've been playing my TR exclusively for the last month or so, the Gatekeeper is insane to the same degree that the PPA was, if not moreso due to the immense AV potential at any range (Not to mention that it's paired with what was already the best tank in the game.) I'm sure you've read my multi-dozen page posts, so I won't go into yet another stat analysis here. Given your propensity to dislike vehicles in general (From what i've seen, at least), I'm honestly surprised that you apparently think the Gatekeeper is ok.

Why is this?
  18. RusselEastwood

I play Gatekeeper- H quite a lot. It is a pretty good gun for long range. But AV-Mana Turrets and the Raven are in a similar spot in my opinion. They may not be as accurate as the Gatekeeper, but they hit pretty hard from pretty far away. So if you are talking about OP long range options, i think you should balance them all, and not just the one that was currently added.
  19. Kumaro

Considering the options the other factions have for ranged anti vehicle sorry no this gun is not OP.
    That flipping sniper saron that then gets close and goes shotgun in your face all of a sudden.
    Or the NC's gun that has decent fps and now an active loader so you can have continuous fire as long as there is ammo.
    no just no
    • Up x 1
  20. Cheetoh

I would be all for that.

Damn vehicles with their mega health and OP weapons ruin an otherwise perfectly fine FPS experience.

Go play World of Tanks or Flight Simulator you losers, and leave me the hell alone please.
    • Up x 1