[Suggestion] Add randomness to initial aiming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hellhound67, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Shanther

This ladies and gents is the Dunning Kruger effect.
    • Up x 1
  2. Scr1nRusher

I completely agree with you.
  3. Ronin Oni

I know they have sway, snipers (6x+ sites) in PS2 have sway...

We're talking about hold breath mechanic... something you don't really do IRL... you take brief pauses, but not the 3-4 second shot line ups you do in games.
  4. ColonelChingles

ARMA III also features a hold breath button (it started out being the same button you used to zoom in). It's in the same link where they explain weapon sway from breathing.

IRL you do certainly control your breathing when taking more precise shots. Sort of like so (a bunch of variants exist):

[IMG]
  5. Rhumald

It's not a matter of skill, it's a matter of competativeness, and risk versus reward.

Fact is, if you miss a shot with a CQC sniper rifle, you're dead, even if that was a body shot, you can't recover quick enough to take out your opponent, especially considering that you need to be already 100% stationary to make those shots, which puts you at a significant disadvantage from the start.

I understand why you think it's cheap, but even a crosshair overlay can only do so much, it's just a guide, doesn't actually help you get your shot off.
  6. Sulsa

Sorry but...
    I love that you are a part of the game because we need all the people we can get but using random values to balance out what the rest of us do with skill and awareness, would just be another nail in the coffin in PS2's short but glorious career.
  7. FateJH

I don't think you can use the phrase "nail in the coffin" to describe something we've been doing since day one. Unless we're building a casket.
  8. MikeyGeeMan

Aha. So there the secret.

Adadadad...crouch quick scope in then out. Then fire.

Adadadada quick scope in then out then headshot.

They just need to add a bloom for .5 seconds when going in the opposite direction.

So that Adad gives you a clear disadvantage to accuracy.

So slide right then left blooms your shots for just a smidgen.
  9. Taemien

The only difference between PS2 and RL is you don't sway as much IRL.

IRL using Iron Sights on a Carbine or Assault Rifle you should be able to hit a man sized target about 300m away. The sway would be enough to be a near miss. But at closer ranges, it shouldn't be as bad, especially under 100m.

Everything is exaggerated in PS2. We don't have sway in non-scoped sights. But we have CoF during ADS which makes no sense. The CoF is bad enough that it feels like we're firing automatic versions of this:

[IMG]

The scope sway is just there for the breathing mechanic to be useful. Not to actually cause any sort of challenge. Its forced, arbitrary and makes no sense at the max range you would snipe with a scope. Considering how fast we take shots with a sniper, at the range you have to (under 300m) there shouldn't be a hold breath mechanic, it should be automatic. Maybe 20-30s after you stay scoped in it starts swaying (simulating holding breath for about 15s and then you take a deep breath in to not pass out).

If ranges went out to about 900m or 1200m, the hold breath mechanic with a slight sway (just enough to cause a miss at 300m) would make sense. ARMA 3 seems a bit closer judging by the videos, but even theirs is a bit exaggerated for the prone position. But not as bad as PS2 (I have to assume crouch is prone.. since we don't have prone).
  10. Kaeyz

Dude, I don't know what you're smoking but must be strong stuff, you should share number to dealer who got you so high.

This isn't the thread you're looking for, we're speaking about CQC Snipers, not heavies spamming adad. Thread you're looking is two streets to the left in Cheese Alley.

Although, just in case you were serious. Please, seriously make a video of how you use this so called "secret". I could use some laugh, and certain fail at attempt of using this "secret" would be hilarious.

Damn, where did you get the idea about snipers doing primitive adadadada as a key to success?
  11. Gremmel

Battlefield 1942 had a long aim time for snipers /the scope swayed after you went ADS for a few seconds before stopping and only if you didn't move it around too much). It was way cooler than the quickscoping stuff. Just imagine if snipers had to spend 5+ second setting up every shot. My ADADADADA keys would love it.

Thing is it's such a minor issue and 9/10 times it was your own fault getting killed by a sniper. It's a reason they're called "boltbabies". They only kill other new players who haven't learn that you have to keep moving in this game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jubikus

Boltbabies? ive never been called that before never even heard the term is this a miller thing?
  13. ColonelChingles

How about this...

To solve "quickscoping", it should be that when you go from hipfire to ADS your point of aim slightly shifts.

So say in hipfire I had a target perfectly centered in my screen. But when I ADS, my point of aim randomly shifts away from the center of my screen, so ultimately I would no longer be aiming directly at my target, maybe slightly off to the right or left.

The result would be that "quickscoping" wouldn't be that effective, as quickly pressing the ADS button would bring you off target. ADS would be reserved for slower, more deliberate engagements where the user would have to correct and reaim, extending the engagement time.

This is modeled against IRL results, as no one I know can instantaneously pick up a rifle from a bench and magically point it exactly at the exact center of a bullseye at significant ranges. Usually shouldering a weapon will shift your point of aim somewhat and require corrections.
    • Up x 1
  14. MikeyGeeMan

Wow. Ok. Less Mountain Dew bra. There are several posts in the thread about standing cof and using a scope to reset that. Should translate well.
  15. Hellhound67

I got one-hit (head shot) by a fast-scoping sniper several times. I tried it myself. I used no fancy overlay but only a black marker pen dot in the middle of my screen. Scope and instantly shoot and you will hit point blank in the middle. Try it out.
  16. Ronin Oni

Uhm, just put your lil sticker dot on the offset point.

Also this is assuming it's even that big a deal in the first place.
  17. Hellhound67

Difficult if the offset is random.
  18. Iridar51

Instantly shooting after scoping and hitting with perfect accuracy is exactly how it's supposed to work, why would it work any different?
    Shooting while scoping animation is playing out will not give you perfect accuracy.

What you people don't seem to comprehend is that scoping in is NOT instant. Your scope don't magically appear before your eyes the millisecond you hit ADS button. Scoping with, say, Bolt Driver, takes 300-350 ms. Roughly a third of a second. That's a lot. While the scoping animation is playing out, weapon's accuracy gradually increases.

Hitting ADS and Fire buttons at the same time will give you a random shot.
    Hitting Fire some time after hitting ADS button will give you an accurate shot, and that's exactly how it's supposed to be.
  19. Hellhound67

I would be cool with that, when there was an offset added to the aiming point when going in scope.
  20. Iridar51

So you want to nerf something just because it killed you several times, despite it needing a lot of skill to actually pull off?

Common mentality. How about you go try do it on actual players, then see if it needs a nerf or not.
    • Up x 1