Naval Warfare (Again)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raiden Huttbroker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Raiden Huttbroker

Revive the Naval Warfare idea! This can be such a great thing as said in this link! https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-ideas-if-naval-warfare-will-be-added.192358/

Have like 5 types ships. All that you can walk around on AND INSIDE TO DO INTERNAL DAMAGE man different turrets. Also all of them would be deployed from giant docks on the edges of the continents and in the waters.

Aircraft carrier: AA Guns, Entire thing would be a landing pad for planes to land, take off, repair themselves, and refill ammo. The Carrier would have some sort of magnet that would slowly take effect as the plane was landing closer so that while or if the carrier was moving it wouldn't fall off.

Battleship: AA guns and 2-4 heavy heavy weaponry to take down other naval craft. Kind of a medium speed and the ability to turn like a galaxy. All factions would have their unique version.

Transport: Much like a sunderer, this has the ability to transport 12 men (at least) along with one or two other vehicles.

Submarines: Fast and fast killers of all naval ships. These deadly machines can submerge underwater and attack ships with their torpedoes.

Jet skis: Much like the flash, a fast moving two man machine, very versatile.

People would also be able to infiltrate these ships and destroy them from the inside out. Like key systems of them, engines, command bridge, etc.

Finally, everyone asks, "where will we fight? The answer? In between the continents in the water! This picture was created for a completely different idea which could still lead to navy warfare but would change things up alot in planetside 2. In between the continents would be water territories, much like the territories on the four continents. In the middle of those territories might be, islands, tech plants, bio labs, and amp stations (all designed for water) [IMG]
  2. Onhil

The problem here is that the devs will either have to make a new engine or use another one as the current one does not have proper water physics and adding them seems to be a problem.
    • Up x 1
  3. Shadowomega

While I applaud the effort you put into this the idea is a little undercooked. Currently Water in this game is only a texture layer and nothing else; while they do have actual water on the way, it is not likely they would put in actual water around the continents as that is in the outer bounds areas. These areas were made this way, against the recommendations of the Planetside 1 player base during PS2 beta, to keep the fighting around bases as well as ease to locate ally forces; as ally forces off the map are not in any hexes and wouldn't show their location. Effectively you could have 2 platoons worth of people holding spots on a continent and not being able to be located while their doing nothing but filling slots. (There was a bit of a **** fest in the ultimate empire showdown a couple years ago as one outfit on the TR side was forming up, yet was being said to be griefing by holding slots, no idea if they were trying to or people where just mad they were taking to long to move.)

Second Continental Lattice still has a long way to go as we currently don't have enough continents to make a proper network. Last I heard, which likely changes as the team cut staff, was that they wanted to finish 3 more battle island to complement the finish/nearly finished Nexus followed by Searhus, a full size vulcanic continent then get the lattice as that would provide enough to create a good lattice network.

As for the ships themselves you reference to much to another game without flushing out how it would operate in this games mechanics, or interact with the current games meta and strategy. Your post seems lack of depth when it comes to their equipment and customization or how to field these in game.

Tips from someone who actually spent 3 months in planetside 1 working out how to get an actual functioning Navy into PS1.
    1. Figure what this idea could bring to the current game.
    2. Figure out how it would interact with the current game play mechanics, Meta and playing fields. If it is something that would operate independently without interacting with current game play then it's something for another game.
    3. If you made it this far start small.( I saw you suggested PT boats this would be a start point for the concept but the current continents don't have as much water as their PS1 counterparts, I drive past irrigation ponds bigger then the pools of water that are in this game.)
    4. Who and how the items could be brought into the field, as well as how many at once.
    5. How many people it would take to operate said item.

I would also suggest to take a look at the airship that the devs did make a concept of called the Bastion Fleet Carrier.
  4. TomGranger

I have been looking for info regarding this. Where did you find this out? I must have missed it on the forms.
  5. ColonelChingles

To your list of ship classes, I would also add in a "Destroyer", who would be meant to protect the fleet against submarines and other smaller threats. Currently you don't have anything that can counter submarines (except other submarines I guess).

1) Battleship- Good against land targets or large naval targets (like Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, and Destroyers). Weak against air and submarine threats.
    2) Submarine- Good against large naval targets (like Aircraft Carriers and Battleships). Weak against Destroyers.
    3) Destroyer- Good against air targets and Submarines. Weak against other surface ships.

That makes for better balance, where:
    Battleship>Destroyer>Submarine>Battleship

You really don't want it to become something where the Submarine can only be countered by itself, similar to how Liberators end up.
    • Up x 1
  6. Scr1nRusher

Don't worry, It would die to 2 bricks of C4 because reasons & tears.
  7. Thardus

There's a class of naval vessel you're forgetting.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. Littleman

Maybe for Planetside 3, when they're finally ready to design the game right instead of Battlefield: Online, which clearly isn't working.
    • Up x 1
  9. SwornJupiter

Just have three main aircraft carriers (1 for each faction) on-rails and steaming in a circle... three-faction air-superiority battle over water. Boy, would that be epic.
  10. Shadowomega

That info was before the released before being bought by Terra Nova, some bits came from twitter, some from reddit, and some from tidbits dropped from people that worked there.
  11. Goretzu

And bearing in mind that PS1 had much more waterish water (you could float on it and cross it in amphibous vehicles or skimmers AND go under it with infanty/MAXs) and PS1 was a much more expansive game....... and yet PS1 never got naval warfare even though it was asked for from the very beginning.

So the chances of PS2 getting it seem to be slim to non-existant. :(
  12. Weterman

Good idea, I posted something similar a while back. I made a model of an aircraft carrier, meant to fly though.
    But the game sold out, chances are, they wont add anything like this to the game. The game failed, they messed it up from the start.

[IMG]
  13. Weterman

They could just make it fly, and limit the altitude so that the thing stays in the water.